LaunchBox Community Forums

7.12-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

31 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

This is not at all a good idea as it could result in corrupt data files to routinely kill Big Box.

Ok, but don't you think running out of system resources can also corrupt BigBox? I won't post the script then. But I'm not forcefully closing BB, I"m gracefully closing it so it should be fine.

Edit: by the way, the script is simply sending the escape key to BB which is how i have my keyboard set to exit BB. i assume that is totally safe.  i also had it terminate the process if it still exists a while after sending escape, but now i think i'll remove that part.

Edited by ckp

3 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

The memory leaks have been solved @ckp. That was the whole point of the last week of development I put in...

Yes, I hope so Jason. If I see it's no longer an issue on my system after letting it run 24 hours, then I won't need to use the script.

Edit: In case I do need to use the script, I suppose I will also have it make a copy of the data folder before executing the close.

Edited by ckp

8 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

@alnyden @eatkinola I'm seeing some errors with Ao.Bigbox.Plugins in the Nostalgia theme. It's possible that I changed something in the betas that would cause this; I can work with you @eatkinola to get it fixed. I'm guessing that the freezes you were experiencing @alnyden are related.

Here's the last error I got:

Reveal hidden contents

Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: key

App:     Big Box
Version: 7.12-beta-13
Type:    System.ArgumentNullException
Site:    Void ThrowArgumentNullException(System.ExceptionArgument)
Source:  mscorlib

at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentNullException(ExceptionArgument argument)
   at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.FindEntry(TKey key)
   at Ao.Bigbox.Plugins.WheelShadowList.UpdateSelectionWithinList(String newIdSelection)
   at Ao.Bigbox.Plugins.WheelShadowList.OnSelectionPropertyChanged(DependencyObject dobj, DependencyPropertyChangedEventArgs eventArgs)
   at System.Windows.DependencyObject.OnPropertyChanged(DependencyPropertyChangedEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.FrameworkElement.OnPropertyChanged(DependencyPropertyChangedEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.DependencyObject.NotifyPropertyChange(DependencyPropertyChangedEventArgs args)
   at System.Windows.DependencyObject.UpdateEffectiveValue(EntryIndex entryIndex, DependencyProperty dp, PropertyMetadata metadata, EffectiveValueEntry oldEntry, EffectiveValueEntry& newEntry, Boolean coerceWithDeferredReference, Boolean coerceWithCurrentValue, OperationType operationType)
   at System.Windows.DependencyObject.InvalidateProperty(DependencyProperty dp, Boolean preserveCurrentValue)
   at System.Windows.Data.BindingExpressionBase.Invalidate(Boolean isASubPropertyChange)
   at System.Windows.Data.BindingExpression.TransferValue(Object newValue, Boolean isASubPropertyChange)
   at MS.Internal.Data.ClrBindingWorker.NewValueAvailable(Boolean dependencySourcesChanged, Boolean initialValue, Boolean isASubPropertyChange)
   at MS.Internal.Data.PropertyPathWorker.UpdateSourceValueState(Int32 k, ICollectionView collectionView, Object newValue, Boolean isASubPropertyChange)
   at MS.Internal.Data.ClrBindingWorker.OnSourcePropertyChanged(Object o, String propName)
   at System.Windows.WeakEventManager.ListenerList`1.DeliverEvent(Object sender, EventArgs e, Type managerType)
   at System.ComponentModel.PropertyChangedEventManager.OnPropertyChanged(Object sender, PropertyChangedEventArgs args)
   at Caliburn.Micro.PropertyChangedBase.OnPropertyChanged(PropertyChangedEventArgs e)
   at Caliburn.Micro.PropertyChangedBase.NotifyOfPropertyChange(String propertyName)
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Wpf.BigBox.ViewModels.PlatformFiltersViewModelBase.set_SelectedItem(ImageInfo value)
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Wpf.BigBox.ViewModels.PlatformWheelFiltersViewModelBase.<>c__DisplayClass13_0.<MoveNext>b__0()
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeDelegateCore()
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Wait(TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.InvokeImpl(DispatcherOperation operation, CancellationToken cancellationToken, TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.Invoke(Action callback, DispatcherPriority priority, CancellationToken cancellationToken, TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.Invoke(Action callback, DispatcherPriority priority)
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Wpf.Threading.Invoke(Action callback, DispatcherPriority priority)
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Wpf.BigBox.ViewModels.PlatformWheelFiltersViewModelBase.MoveNext()
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Wpf.BigBox.ViewModels.PlatformWheelFiltersViewModelBase.OnDown(Boolean held)
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Wpf.BigBox.ViewModels.MainViewModel.OnDown()
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Wpf.BigBox.ViewModels.MainViewModel.HandleKeyDown(KeyEventArgs e)
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Wpf.BigBox.Views.MainView.MainView_OnPreviewKeyDown(Object sender, KeyEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs.InvokeHandler(Delegate handler, Object target)
   at System.Windows.RoutedEventHandlerInfo.InvokeHandler(Object target, RoutedEventArgs routedEventArgs)
   at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseTrustedEvent(RoutedEventArgs args)
   at System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessStagingArea()
   at System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessInput(InputEventArgs input)
   at System.Windows.Input.InputProviderSite.ReportInput(InputReport inputReport)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndKeyboardInputProvider.ReportInput(IntPtr hwnd, InputMode mode, Int32 timestamp, RawKeyboardActions actions, Int32 scanCode, Boolean isExtendedKey, Boolean isSystemKey, Int32 virtualKey)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndKeyboardInputProvider.ProcessKeyAction(MSG& msg, Boolean& handled)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.CriticalTranslateAccelerator(MSG& msg, ModifierKeys modifiers)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.OnPreprocessMessage(Object param)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

@Jason Carr I fixed a bug similar to (possibly the same) as what you reported, but I've not yet posted that update -- trying to work in some more changes first. So, I don't think it's related to the latest beta. At least I cannot replicate on my system with the latest beta and my working copy of Ao.Bigbox.Plugins. @alnyden Not sure about those freezes. Would you please post some more details about the freezes in the Nostalgia thread? E.g., Does it only occur with VLC or also with WMP, what were you doing in BB at the time?

i upgraded my main pc (i7700k with 16gb ram) and my htpc (8gb ram) to the latest Beta just now. my main pc is running BB with attract mode. it is currently using >2GB ram commit size. i have never seen my main pc use that much memory before while running BB and attract mode. it was always under 1.5GB before. i will go check my htpc in a while.

Edit1: it's looking like my main 16GB ram system is staying between 1.7-2.0GB.

To my surprise, my htpc 8GB ram system was about 1.3GB last time I looked.  Hoping it stays in that area. 

@Jason Carr, did you do something to make lower RAM systems use less AND make systems with more memory actually use more than before? I will keep monitoring my htpc until tomorrow.

Edited by ckp

Thanks @eatkinola. I'm going to assume that it's not an issue with this release.

@ckp Not since the official 7.11 release; nothing has been changed that should ever cause *more* RAM to be used. However, as I stated I above I did add a mechanism to aggressively decrease RAM usage on low-RAM systems. The 1.7-2.0 GB of RAM use is normal and expected on a 16 GB system, as it's not as aggressive (the aggressive RAM reduction can decrease performance).

ok, it's been 3 hours on my 8GB htpc. it has grown a lot and is currently at 2.4GB working set and 1.8GB commit size.

if it's noticeably higher after another hour, i will probably close BB. i think it's probably still leaking in attract mode with tv/audio off.

Edit: i also see it's using one full cpu core (from i5 2500k) while running in attract mode. so i don't think it's good to keep BB running over long periods of time with attract mode on. i'll probably disable attract mode.

Edit2: ok, to be fair about cpu, after eyeballing task mgr a while, it's more like 10-25% cpu (which is about half a core to a full core).

Edited by ckp

currently at 2.9GB working set and 2.2GB commit size

yes, i would say a leak is pretty certain at this point. will probably disable attract mode before going to bed, restart BB and just make sure it's ok in the morning without attract mode.

55 minutes ago, ckp said:

ok, it's been 3 hours on my 8GB htpc. it has grown a lot and is currently at 2.4GB working set and 1.8GB commit size.

if it's noticeably higher after another hour, i will probably close BB. i think it's probably still leaking in attract mode with tv/audio off.

Edit: i also see it's using one full cpu core (from i5 2500k) while running in attract mode. so i don't think it's good to keep BB running over long periods of time with attract mode on. i'll probably disable attract mode.

Edit2: ok, to be fair about cpu, after eyeballing task mgr a while, it's more like 10-25% cpu (which is about half a core to a full core).

Interesting. I haven't been able to produce any leaks on 3 different machines running for literally 2 days straight now. So I'm puzzled there. What version of Windows are you running again?

4 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Interesting. I haven't been able to produce any leaks on 3 different machines running for literally 2 days straight now. So I'm puzzled there. What version of Windows are you running again?

Win 10 Creators 1703. The HTPC is a pretty bare bones new Win 10 install with all the gaming stuff installed (all vc++ runtimes, directx, etc). Hardly any apps installed. No anti virus type software at all and Windows Defender disabled. The new Gaming and DVR mode is globally disabled. 

Alright, I've been using memory profiling tools to make sure that all loose ends are tied up, but maybe it's configuration-specific. Can you PM your data folder @ckp?

I'm probably gonna go ahead with the release tomorrow since I doubt this is widespread, but I'll do some quick testing first to see if I can reproduce it.

yeah, i'm guessing this has been around all along. some people have posted about hitting it. yeah, i can send you my data folder. it's the same exact one i run on my main pc.

my htpc has a new 1050ti video card. i have two usb xbox 360 wired controllers plugged in, one Logitech usb wireless keyboard/trackpad, video and audio to big Samsung TV via HDMI cable.

attract mode set to traverse platform and game wheels.

i just disabled attract mode and waited a few minutes, but memory did not go down. i started scrolling the platform wheel manually with controller. the cpu is hit pretty hard landing on 1080p NyNy platform videos. i never tried switching to WMP yet, but i will tomorrow.

I downloaded the latest beta.

1. 1.2gb memory used under BB

2.  Videos start off pixelated washed color screen

3.  Locking up navigating collection or switching views.  Went back a few beta and problem persists.

No other issues outside of LB and BB.  Something within the application is causing the behavior.  I think it may be changes in the framework or allowing themes per view. 
I am thinking of doing a fresh install since I backup everything nightly.  If you guys have any tips before I proceed please share your approach.  

Edited by NJDave71