LaunchBox Community Forums

7.12-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

not sure if this is related to the beta, but I decided to take a break from dumping my roms/getting videos for my games and started messing with the various platform view types, such as Genre, Platform Catagories, etc etc. and I cant. the only "view" that works for any/all the things is "Text with Descriptions"

I tried mapping "change view" to "V" and that wont change the view.

the only views that can be changed are for "Platform Catagories" and "Platforms" and "Playlists". everything else remains "Text with Details" no matter what I do.

Tried checking the box that "Remember Separate View for Each Platform" that did nothing. Tried unchecking the box, did nothing.

ScreenHunter_1626 Oct. 25 09.37 PM.jpg

ScreenHunter_1625 Oct. 25 09.37 PM.jpg

15 minutes ago, GunerX said:

1: locked in what way? whats that mean? (not that it really maters anymore)

2: i want a refund. your moderation team is atrocious and I will no longer support this team

Our moderation "staff" are all volunteers. Anyways, your refund is on its way.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GunerX said:

2: i want a refund. your moderation team is atrocious and I will no longer support this team

The moderation team here is arguably the most helpful and personable group of people I've ever seen in any online forum community.

Perhaps it's just you.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, GunerX said:

The "moderation team" is doing a great job. But I guess you can't satisfy everyone. Good luck with your 'other' frontend :)

• Like 3

15 hours ago, ckp said:

Believe it or not, we had a different memory leak that only occurs when a sound card is just randomly ripped from the computer (or disabled, etc.). That doesn't sound like much of an issue, but it is on arcade cabinets where TVs are commonly turned off while the computer is running, and since sound often goes through the TV's HDMI port, the sound card is essentially disabled when the TV gets turned off lol.

So, I upgraded to the latest Beta. I launched BB, then switched my TV input to the Amazon Fire device (where we watch TV), and then turned off the TV. 1 hour later, memory usage increased more than expected. 2 hours later it was at 1.6GB commit size. I ended the test there. Seems not fixed, at least for me. :( 

WOW all i can say is if you couldn't get LB to function and apparently think the help on the forum is so bad.  then you are gonna be in a lot of trouble over at other certain frontends. 

Reality is gonna be bitch 

Edited by ALIE
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Updated to the new beta -- most lists are scrolling smoothly except I've crashed twice while navigating a text list in the Nostolgia theme.  (BigBox froze, no error message)  This hadn't happened before this beta update.  Thanks!

Edited by alnyden

1 hour ago, ckp said:

So, I upgraded to the latest Beta. I launched BB, then switched my TV input to the Amazon Fire device (where we watch TV), and then turned off the TV. 1 hour later, memory usage increased more than expected. 2 hours later it was at 1.6GB commit size. I ended the test there. Seems not fixed, at least for me. :( 

Honestly 1.6 gigs is very normal and expected memory usage, especially if you have over 16 gigs of RAM. CoverFlow is very RAM intensive with all those images, and there's always a trade off between RAM usage and performance. Big Box is now more or less aggressive at reducing RAM depending on how much RAM you have free and in your system. Bear in mind that VLC alone can take up around 500 megs of RAM, with several HD videos playing at once. Depending on the theme, 1.6 gigs is about average (and correct) memory usage for Big Box currently. Getting it to be significantly less than that would only ruin performance.

What shouldn't be happening is for Big Box to get up past 3 gigs and stay there for long periods of time (or keep growing).

42 minutes ago, alnyden said:

Updated to the new beta -- most lists are scrolling smoothly except I've crashed twice while navigating a text list in the Nostolgia theme.  (BigBox froze, no error message)  This hadn't happened before this beta update.  Thanks!

@alnyden @eatkinola I'm seeing some errors with Ao.Bigbox.Plugins in the Nostalgia theme. It's possible that I changed something in the betas that would cause this; I can work with you @eatkinola to get it fixed. I'm guessing that the freezes you were experiencing @alnyden are related.

Here's the last error I got:

Spoiler

Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: key

App:     Big Box
Version: 7.12-beta-13
Type:    System.ArgumentNullException
Site:    Void ThrowArgumentNullException(System.ExceptionArgument)
Source:  mscorlib

at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentNullException(ExceptionArgument argument)
   at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.FindEntry(TKey key)
   at Ao.Bigbox.Plugins.WheelShadowList.UpdateSelectionWithinList(String newIdSelection)
   at Ao.Bigbox.Plugins.WheelShadowList.OnSelectionPropertyChanged(DependencyObject dobj, DependencyPropertyChangedEventArgs eventArgs)
   at System.Windows.DependencyObject.OnPropertyChanged(DependencyPropertyChangedEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.FrameworkElement.OnPropertyChanged(DependencyPropertyChangedEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.DependencyObject.NotifyPropertyChange(DependencyPropertyChangedEventArgs args)
   at System.Windows.DependencyObject.UpdateEffectiveValue(EntryIndex entryIndex, DependencyProperty dp, PropertyMetadata metadata, EffectiveValueEntry oldEntry, EffectiveValueEntry& newEntry, Boolean coerceWithDeferredReference, Boolean coerceWithCurrentValue, OperationType operationType)
   at System.Windows.DependencyObject.InvalidateProperty(DependencyProperty dp, Boolean preserveCurrentValue)
   at System.Windows.Data.BindingExpressionBase.Invalidate(Boolean isASubPropertyChange)
   at System.Windows.Data.BindingExpression.TransferValue(Object newValue, Boolean isASubPropertyChange)
   at MS.Internal.Data.ClrBindingWorker.NewValueAvailable(Boolean dependencySourcesChanged, Boolean initialValue, Boolean isASubPropertyChange)
   at MS.Internal.Data.PropertyPathWorker.UpdateSourceValueState(Int32 k, ICollectionView collectionView, Object newValue, Boolean isASubPropertyChange)
   at MS.Internal.Data.ClrBindingWorker.OnSourcePropertyChanged(Object o, String propName)
   at System.Windows.WeakEventManager.ListenerList`1.DeliverEvent(Object sender, EventArgs e, Type managerType)
   at System.ComponentModel.PropertyChangedEventManager.OnPropertyChanged(Object sender, PropertyChangedEventArgs args)
   at Caliburn.Micro.PropertyChangedBase.OnPropertyChanged(PropertyChangedEventArgs e)
   at Caliburn.Micro.PropertyChangedBase.NotifyOfPropertyChange(String propertyName)
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Wpf.BigBox.ViewModels.PlatformFiltersViewModelBase.set_SelectedItem(ImageInfo value)
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Wpf.BigBox.ViewModels.PlatformWheelFiltersViewModelBase.<>c__DisplayClass13_0.<MoveNext>b__0()
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeDelegateCore()
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Wait(TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.InvokeImpl(DispatcherOperation operation, CancellationToken cancellationToken, TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.Invoke(Action callback, DispatcherPriority priority, CancellationToken cancellationToken, TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.Invoke(Action callback, DispatcherPriority priority)
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Wpf.Threading.Invoke(Action callback, DispatcherPriority priority)
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Wpf.BigBox.ViewModels.PlatformWheelFiltersViewModelBase.MoveNext()
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Wpf.BigBox.ViewModels.PlatformWheelFiltersViewModelBase.OnDown(Boolean held)
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Wpf.BigBox.ViewModels.MainViewModel.OnDown()
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Wpf.BigBox.ViewModels.MainViewModel.HandleKeyDown(KeyEventArgs e)
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Wpf.BigBox.Views.MainView.MainView_OnPreviewKeyDown(Object sender, KeyEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs.InvokeHandler(Delegate handler, Object target)
   at System.Windows.RoutedEventHandlerInfo.InvokeHandler(Object target, RoutedEventArgs routedEventArgs)
   at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseTrustedEvent(RoutedEventArgs args)
   at System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessStagingArea()
   at System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessInput(InputEventArgs input)
   at System.Windows.Input.InputProviderSite.ReportInput(InputReport inputReport)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndKeyboardInputProvider.ReportInput(IntPtr hwnd, InputMode mode, Int32 timestamp, RawKeyboardActions actions, Int32 scanCode, Boolean isExtendedKey, Boolean isSystemKey, Int32 virtualKey)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndKeyboardInputProvider.ProcessKeyAction(MSG& msg, Boolean& handled)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.CriticalTranslateAccelerator(MSG& msg, ModifierKeys modifiers)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.OnPreprocessMessage(Object param)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

1 hour ago, Jason Carr said:

Honestly 1.6 gigs is very normal and expected memory usage, especially if you have over 16 gigs of RAM. CoverFlow is very RAM intensive with all those images, and there's always a trade off between RAM usage and performance. Big Box is now more or less aggressive at reducing RAM depending on how much RAM you have free and in your system. Bear in mind that VLC alone can take up around 500 megs of RAM, with several HD videos playing at once. Depending on the theme, 1.6 gigs is about average (and correct) memory usage for Big Box currently. Getting it to be significantly less than that would only ruin performance.

What shouldn't be happening is for Big Box to get up past 3 gigs and stay there for long periods of time (or keep growing).

I have 8GB RAM on my htpc and use the default theme out of box with  clear logos. I saw it growing and growing without ever stabilizing, which I do not think is "normal" for an application. When memory grows incrementally over time, without even coming back down, it's typically a leak. That said, I would have to run it until memory exhaustion to know for sure and that could take like a day. I run the same exact LB folder (i keep them in sync) on my main system (16GB ram) and do not see a leak and it only takes like 1.1GB or so RAM, but that system also has an audio connection to PC speakers always. Basically if I sample memory usage once every hour and it's always a fair amount more each time, that's a leak, or a bad usage of memory allocation.

I do not mind if BB consumes a lot of memory in attract mode as long as its not leaking indefinitely and as long as memory usage goes normal when I actually start to use BB.

If I get a chance to run the system for a full day this weekend, I'll update the thread with results. 

Edit: i hope I wil lsee it stabilize at 1.6GB like you said. Then all will be well I suppose.

Edited by ckp

1 minute ago, ckp said:

I have 8GB RAM on my htpc and use the default theme out of box with wheel clear logos. I saw it growing and growing without ever stabilizing, which I do not think is "normal" for an application. When memory grows incrementally over time, without even coming back down, it's typically a leak. That said, I would have to run it until memory exhaustion to know for sure and that could take like a day. I run the same exact LB folder (i keep them in sync) on my main system (16GB ram) and do not see a leak and it only takes like 1.1GB or so RAM, but that system also has an audio connection to PC speakers always. Basically if I sample memory usage once every hour and it's always a fair amount more each time, that's a leak, or a bad usage of memory allocation.

I do not mind if BB consumes a lot of memory in attract mode as long as its not leaking indefinitely and as long as memory usage goes normal when I actually start to use BB.

If I get a chance to run the system for a full day this weekend, I'll update the thread with results. 

Yeah, I understand that, but straight out of the gate, Big Box uses 1 GB of RAM. So 1.6 GB is very much within the expected range. That said, I'll be putting out a new beta shortly to force being more aggressive with RAM reduction on 8 GB or less systems.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Jason Carr said:

Yeah, I understand that, but straight out of the gate, Big Box uses 1 GB of RAM. So 1.6 GB is very much within the expected range. That said, I'll be putting out a new beta shortly to force being more aggressive with RAM reduction on 8 GB or less systems.

I hope I'm being clear that I have no issues with BB using 1.6GB RAM when in attract mode if that's what it takes. I just want to make sure that I can leave BB running on the htpc for long periods of time (maybe even 24/7 sometimes) without hosing my system from memory exhaustion. I sure do appreciate that you are making memory optimizations and I really love this software. All hail LB!:D

• Like 1

Alright, got another new beta out. @neil9000 Please let me know if the startup videos still don't show up every once in a while.

On systems with 8 gigs of RAM or less, I'm now being very aggressive running the memory clean-up processes, to the point where it might affect performance. However, due to RAM fragmentation possibilities and related things I'm finding that slower systems with 8 gigs or less can crash with out of memory errors even when there appears to be plenty of free RAM (I blame Windows for this as there's nothing I can really do about it).

If Big Box was an MS-DOS game, the system requirements would read like this:

RAM: 4 GB (Required) 16 GB (Recommended) ;)

Keep in mind that this is when using the more advanced themes and all the pretty features. It's certainly possible to get the RAM requirements way down if you use a simpler theme, etc.

I know this would require some work but maybe it's time to look into "Performance Presets" for BigBox.

Have like 3 toggles, one with the full eye candy and made for high end systems, one middle of the road and one really stripped down bare bones preset for lower end systems.