LaunchBox Community Forums

How to organize and what to import? Looking for the best way to go about...

Whistler NL

Hi Guys,

First of all I'm just starting out, so still a lot to learn, but love bigbox, it's amazing and the tutorials help immensely! 

Was wondering how you all go about organizing roms and deciding what to import?

Since I'm just getting into things I like to have a good setup from the get-go. Right now I have all roms in the appropriate folders like Nintendo Entertainment System, Super Nintendo Entertainment System, Sega Genesis and so on. But within these folders I have rom versions from usa, europe, japan. Some games are region specific single games but a lot of games are just the same game only different region.

So what do you guys do? Split these sets into regions separate the roms? Keep preferred region get rid of the others? Or just import all since launchbox combines the roms with the same name, but then you're wasting a lot of space on the same game multiple times. Or do you just add your preferred region and add region specific games on top?

Like to hear your thoughts before I get to far in, now i'm still able to make changes without having to do too much work

Many thanks,

3 hours ago, Whistler NL said:

Hi Guys,

First of all I'm just starting out, so still a lot to learn, but love bigbox, it's amazing and the tutorials help immensely! 

Was wondering how you all go about organizing roms and deciding what to import?

Since I'm just getting into things I like to have a good setup from the get-go. Right now I have all roms in the appropriate folders like Nintendo Entertainment System, Super Nintendo Entertainment System, Sega Genesis and so on. But within these folders I have rom versions from usa, europe, japan. Some games are region specific single games but a lot of games are just the same game only different region.

So what do you guys do? Split these sets into regions separate the roms? Keep preferred region get rid of the others? Or just import all since launchbox combines the roms with the same name, but then you're wasting a lot of space on the same game multiple times. Or do you just add your preferred region and add region specific games on top?

Like to hear your thoughts before I get to far in, now i'm still able to make changes without having to do too much work

Many thanks,

Well this will of course in the end come down to personal preference. The way I do it is even though I am from the UK, I generally only import the USA games into Launchbox as they are generally 60fps Vs the 50fps of the pal roms, then I manually add any pal games that I am aware of that were not released in the USA, like Zero Wing on the Megadrive for example, which was JAP and EUR only.

I do keep all the other region roms in there respective folders just in case I hear of a great game that I don't have imported, so it's just a simple process of adding that single game to my Launchbox collection.

• Thanks 1

just to point out when your talking wasted space and systems like NES, SNES Genesis/MD the whole libraries are in the MB range. For example I have 792 snes files in a folder its 661MB total so with 8TB HDD's starting to become the norm (and there are even larger drives looming on the horizon) saving such a minuscule amount of disk space  isn't really worth the effort.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DOS76 said:

just to point out when your talking wasted space and systems like NES, SNES Genesis/MD the whole libraries are in the MB range. For example I have 792 snes files in a folder its 661MB total so with 8TB HDD's starting to become the norm (and there are even larger drives looming on the horizon) saving such a minuscule amount of disk space  isn't really worth the effort.

Yes, using nes and snes were bad examples :) . Unfortunately I didn't have the budget for 8TB, 2TB will have to do for now... all the 8/16bit stuff I could just import all but the closer I get to the more recent stuff, hard choices will have to be made ;) I have MAME plus CHD set, which is good for  500GB alone.

But free space aside, I was just wondering how most of you have set it up. I could import all which will also means I have to scroll through 2500+ games for one console alone in some cases probably even more. And I get it, at the end of the day it is about personal preference. But good advise is always welcemed.

But, I do like what @neil9000 said, sounds like a very good option. I Also hadn't even thought about the USA games being 60fps... so it makes a lot of sense!

Edited by Whistler NL

My whole collection right now easily fits on a single 2 TB drive with lots of room to add more as needed. But I also do not have full collections for CD based systems. I have full cart system collections but all the CD stuff I only got what I consider the best of and what I would actually play.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, lordmonkus said:

My whole collection right now easily fits on a single 2 TB drive with lots of room to add more as needed. But I also do not have full collections for CD based systems. I have full cart system collections but all the CD stuff I only got what I consider the best of and what I would actually play.

Thanks, that is some solid advise... for the CD based systems I think I'am going to do the same. Just import what I know and maybe search online for 'best of...'-type list and import those as well!