LaunchBox Community Forums

Universally bad Star Ratings for Arcade Games

darkaegis

Hey guys, figure this place is as good as any to ask about this, hopefully I'm not just uselessly cluttering up the forum. I know it's not technically "troubleshooting", since there's nothing I can really do on my end to fix it, but is there any specific reason ratings are so universally low for Arcade roms? Nearly every game, including some very classic staples, are around .5 to 2 star rated with enough votes to have evened out to a higher average. Are people spamming the ratings system with low scores intentionally, or is something else going on?

I think it's a side effect of the fact that the new user ratings is just that, new.

I'm sure a lot of people probably have games rated low and don't even know it. I know as I was going through my games and checking some ratings on my end I saw that were set to 1 or 2 stars and of course they were not that bad of games. Also it could be that games with no ratings at all could be being counted as 0 stars by the database. Maybe @Jason Carr could look into that.

This should be fixed guys if you re-run the Download Metadata and Media wizard. We found a bug where 0-star ratings were being reported and used in the calculation when a game was rated and then un-rated. Thankfully I just needed to fix it on the server.

However, keep in mind that the LaunchBox app will only download updated metadata once a day, so if you've previously downloaded updated metadata today then you may have to wait until tomorrow for the fix.

• Like 2

Star ratings are only sent up to the cloud when changed or added with the new version of LaunchBox. So they're not automatically sent up in batch from users' existing collections (hopefully that'll make them a bit more accurate).

Just checked Super Metroid; we can all breathe a sigh of relief. It's rated 4.29. ;)

• Thanks 2

Over time the ratings will level out, like Monkus said. Typically the first people who are like "OH I CAN VOICE MY OPINION AND MAKE EVERYONE LOOK AT IT" are the ones with strong opinions.

EDIT: you could have a discord channel of people who police bad ratings. Get about 20 people on board to 5 star games that deserve better. :D

Edited by fromlostdays

7 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Some of the community ratings for Arcade are indeed pretty criminal though. Somehow Galaga is rated at 3.2 stars. That's just unacceptable. But I've confirmed that they are all legit ratings. We must have too many young kids rating these games... ;)

That's a 5 star classic

I'm honestly wondering if some people are just going through the list rating everything low. The reason I noticed the crazy low ratings was because I'm going through a MAME pack game by game and deleting the extra stuff I don't want. I honestly don't think I've seen a game above 3 stars, which is just insanity.

SNES seems to be accurate-ish, or at least was when I checked. The staple games were in the 4s and 5s, although I haven't updated since day one, so maybe they've all trended down as well.

Just hoping it balances out so I can use them properly. The monsters have rated the Metal Slug series like 2 stars across the board. I don't even know how a crappy kid could be unamused by Metal Slug. I'll have to go through and rate everything. Do my part to averaging out the bad ones.

Thanks for the responses, guys! I appreciate it.

Edited by darkaegis

1 minute ago, darkaegis said:

I'm honestly wondering if some people are just going through the list rating everything low. The reason I noticed the crazy low ratings was because I'm going through a MAME pack game by game and deleting the extra stuff I don't want. I honestly don't think I've seen a game above 3 stars, which is just insanity.

SNES seems to be accurate-ish, or at least was when I checked. The staple games were in the 4s and 5s, although I haven't updated since day one, so maybe they've all trended down as well.

Just hoping it balances out so I can use them properly. The monsters have rated the Metal Slug series like 2 stars across the board. I don't even know how a crappy kid could be unamused by Metal Slug.

Thanks for the responses, guys! I appreciate it.

Day one ratings are probably pretty wrong, so you gotta update! :P

9 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

Would be nice to have a separate button in Launchbox to update the user ratings without having to use rescrape the metadata and filtering it.

Yes, that is planned, hopefully for this next official release. Won't be difficult to implement.