LaunchBox Community Forums

I'm working on compiling a release right now guys. Sorry it has taken so long. I'll post a build here as soon as I'm finished testing stuff. It is likely not going to be thoroughly bug tested but I suspect it will work just as well as the last several builds I've posted.

• Thanks 4

The new update is available now. Please give it a try and let me know if you experience any issues. You can get the newest release on the plugin download page (ya, I decided to finally post the update there as I should have been doing all along).

SteamLauncher NETCore Alpha v0.9.7.4

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

The new update works fine for me.

Now I am just wondering how to use the plugin with GOG games. Launching any game that was imported via GOG seems to bypass the SteamLauncher entirely (icon doesn't even show up) and I have had no luck with the launcher settings. I could only get the plugin  to work when I imported the game executable through "Import ROM files..." instead of "Import GOG Games...". Something about the latter option seems to be telling LaunchBox to just start the GOG Launcher immediately.

Did anyone managed to get this plugin working for GOG?

On 2/11/2021 at 5:13 AM, Aetavicus said:

The new update works fine for me.

Now I am just wondering how to use the plugin with GOG games. Launching any game that was imported via GOG seems to bypass the SteamLauncher entirely (icon doesn't even show up) and I have had no luck with the launcher settings. I could only get the plugin  to work when I imported the game executable through "Import ROM files..." instead of "Import GOG Games...". Something about the latter option seems to be telling LaunchBox to just start the GOG Launcher immediately.

Did anyone managed to get this plugin working for GOG?

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you. First and foremost, if you haven't tried the update I posted today, make sure to download and try it as I fixed a problem directly related to shortcut file paths (.lnk files). Now, with that out of the way, let's move on. After very briefly looking at how GOG Galaxy game shortcuts work, it looks like there is likely at least a few different possible problems with games imported via the GOG importer. In LB, if you right click a game that was imported via the GOG importer, click on "Edit", and then select "Launching" in the menu on the left, you will see a field labeled "Application Path". This field will likely point to a shortcut file (.lnk). Using 'C:\PC_Games\GOG\Cyberpunk 2077\Launch Cyberpunk 2077.lnk' as an example Application Path, you would do the following to get the properties of that shortcut file:

• Copy the following to your clipboard, replacing my Application Path with your own:

• explorer /n, /select,"C:\PC_Games\GOG\Cyberpunk 2077\Launch Cyberpunk 2077.lnk"

• On your keyboard, hit "Win + R", paste the contents from your keyboard, and hit Enter

• Windows Explorer will open with the shortcut file selected

• Right click the shortcut and select "Properties"

Inside the "Target" field, there will likely be 1 of 2 different options. In my case, for CyberPunk 2077 (which was imported to LB using the GOG importer), the Target path is:

"C:\PC_Games\GOG\Cyberpunk 2077\bin\x64\Cyberpunk2077.exe"

If your shortcut target looks like this, where it is pointing directly to the game's EXE file, then you shouldn't have any problems whatsoever. In my case, I am able to launch CyberPunk 2077 directly from LB immediately after importing it with the GOG importer without changing anything at all. The Steam overlay works fine and everything is as it should be.

If however, your shortcut Target path looks something like this:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\GOG Galaxy\GalaxyClient.exe" /command=runGame /gameId=1423049311 /path="C:\PC_Games\GOG\Cyberpunk 2077"

This means your game shortcut file is not pointing to the game EXE but is instead pointing to the GOG Galaxy launcher which is itself then responsible for launching the game based on the arguments provided in the shortcut file. This case is very similar to any of the many other cases involving launchers (uplay, origin, battle.net, etc) including the many problems that can be encountered with those. To demonstrate just one of the possible issues that could occur specifically with such a shortcut Target path, let's look at what happens when I launch CyberPunk 2077 directly from LB whenever CyberPunk's Application Path points to a shortcut containing the Target path shown above:
Note: Just as a quick aside, for my install of CyberPunk (installed directly from the GOG Galaxy client), the shortcut in the root of the game directory points directly to the game's executable whereas the shortcut in my start menu ("C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Cyberpunk 2077 [GOG.com]\Cyberpunk 2077.lnk") points to the GOG Galaxy client. Now, back to our example:

First, if GOG Galaxy is NOT already running (check the system tray because it runs in the background even after hitting the close (X) button), you will see GOG Galaxy start up and after a short wait, the game will start (with the Steam overlay and everything else working). Now, if you close the game, you might notice something odd. Steam (and my plugin) still believe that the game is running despite having exited it. You can check if Steam still thinks you're in a game by looking at your name in your friends list. Right under your name it will say the game you're playing (if Steam thinks your still playing a game). The reason this is happening is because the only EXE Steam is aware of is "GalaxyClient.exe" and GalaxyClient.exe is still running. If you close the Galaxy client, you will notice that Steam now believes you have stopped running the game (as will my plugin).

There are a couple of solutions I can think of to this issue, but the most obvious and easiest is to make your game point to its actual exe in LB instead of launching through the GOG Galaxy client. If you think about it, the fact that you're running the game through 3 different "launchers" (LB, Steam, GOG Galaxy) is getting a bit excessive and is bound to start causing problems anyways (not to mention the fact that if you don't disable GOG's overlay, you are going to run into issues trying to open/close the Steam overlay).

Anyways, please let me know if the new update or any of the info in my post helped you fix your issue.

Hey @Aetavicus, just pinging you again to check if you still needed help or if the new update or my previous post helped solve your problem. Just want to ensure we got your problems resolved. If not, I'd be happy to help you further either here or if you msg me on Steam (my Steam contact info is on the plugin download page). Anyways, hope all is well.

@Lahma

I installed the latest update that you posted but I am still unable to get the plugin to work for GOG-imported games.

Using the game Dead Cells as an example, it is imported via the GOG importer in LB.

1. The application launch path is "Games\Windows\Dead Cells\Launch Dead Cells.lnk"
  2. The properties of "Launch Dead Cells.ink" are as follows:
    • Target: "E:\LaunchBox\Games\Windows\Dead Cells\deadcells.exe"
    • Start in: "E:\LaunchBox\Games\Windows\Dead Cells"

When opening the game from Launchbox, the following happens:

1. GOG Galaxy client launches
  2. Game launches

The SteamLauncher plugin does not appear at all during this process (Usually I see the icon appear in the taskbar for other games.) Note that all these was done without changing any of the default SteamLauncher settings.

Changing the application launch path in LB to "Games\Windows\Dead Cells\deadcells.exe" also results in the same outcomes as above which is pretty strange because if I directly clicked on "deadcells.exe" in Windows Explorer, it will immediately open up the game without GOG. So my guess is something in LB is getting GOG to be launched when the game is imported via GOG. No idea what as I do not see any other configuration parameters in the game details in LB besides the usual metadata.

I could only get the plugin to work if I delete the existing application in LB and just directly re-import "deadcells.exe" through "Import a ROM" in LB.

Edited by Aetavicus

17 minutes ago, Aetavicus said:

@Lahma

I installed the latest update that you posted but I am still unable to get the plugin to work for GOG-imported games.

Using the game Dead Cells as an example, it is imported via the GOG importer in LB.

1. The application launch path is "Games\Windows\Dead Cells\Launch Dead Cells.lnk"
  2. The properties of "Launch Dead Cells.ink" are as follows:
    • Target: "E:\LaunchBox\Games\Windows\Dead Cells\deadcells.exe"
    • Start in: "E:\LaunchBox\Games\Windows\Dead Cells"

When opening the game from Launchbox, the following happens:

1. GOG Galaxy client launches
  2. Game launches

The SteamLauncher plugin does not appear at all during this process (Usually I see the icon appear in the taskbar for other games.) Note that all these was done without changing any of the default SteamLauncher settings.

Changing the application launch path in LB to "Games\Windows\Dead Cells\deadcells.exe" also results in the same outcomes as above which is pretty strange because if I directly clicked on "deadcells.exe" in Windows Explorer, it will immediately open up the game without GOG. So my guess is something in LB is getting GOG to be launched when the game is imported via GOG. No idea what as I do not see any other configuration parameters in the game details in LB besides the usual metadata.

I could only get the plugin to work if I delete the existing application in LB and just directly re-import "deadcells.exe" through "Import a ROM" in LB.

That is very strange... If you would, do me a favor and on Dead Cells (imported from GOG), change the application launch path to point directly at deadcells.exe. Then, ensure that GOG Galaxy is completely closed (ensure it isn't still running in your system tray). Finally, open the SteamLauncher settings, change logging to verbose, click save, exit LB, reopen LB, try launching the game (with SteamLauncher enabled), let it run for a 10+ seconds, exit the game, completely close out GOG Galaxy again, exit LB, and then look for the file "debug.log" in the "LaunchBox\Plugins\SteamLauncher" folder. Copy/paste that file on pastebin.com and send me the URL. Hopefully we can get this sorted out.

On 2/15/2021 at 12:53 AM, Aetavicus said:

@Lahma

The Pastebin URL is: https://pastebin.com/xvJPbYrr

Sorry I have not responded to you yet. I live in Texas and we've had record low temperatures and I've been without electricity for.. umm.. 4 days? 5 days? Kind of lost track... Anyways, it appears that the electricity is back on for good now. I will look at your log as soon as I can and get back to you.

On 12/29/2020 at 11:56 PM, Lahma said:

Ok guys, I need a bit of feedback from y'all (or at least from anyone who cares about this feature). Some of y'all were requesting a feature that would exempt certain games/roms/emulators from use with the plugin... basically, a way to tell LB/BB to not use SteamLauncher when launching certain titles. I promised I would try to fit this feature into the 1.0 release and I am finally ready to start implementing it. Problem is, I haven't decided yet how it would be best implemented. Let me first describe how I am thinking of implementing it, and then y'all can tell me whether or not you think this will satisfy your needs, or instead, suggest a better way of going about it.

My current idea is to basically just do a full-fledged blacklist/whitelist approach with a user defined list of regex (or, as in the example below, possibly just wildcard-supporting) strings for the various possible fields. The user could select from 3 primary modes: off, whitelist, blacklist. If either blacklist or whitelist is selected, a datagrid would be enabled in the settings UI which would allow the user to enter an unlimited number of entries, with each entry having several fields such as GameTitle, PlatformName, EmulatorName, Arguments, and ExePath. In practice, it would look something like this:

GameTitle PlatformName EmulatorName Arguments ExePath
*Mario* *Nintendo*      
Street* Sony Playstation 1      
    Retroarch    
  Windows     D:\*
      *D:\Roms\PS3\*  

If it was set to blacklist mode, anything that matched the entries in the example datagrid above would NOT launch via SteamLauncher but everything else that did not match the entries would launch via SteamLauncher. If set to whitelist mode, anything that matched the entries in the example datagrid above WOULD launch via SteamLauncher but everything else that did not match the entries would run without the use of SteamLauncher. For this example (although it probably would be so in the real implementation too), let's say all terms are case insensitive and for both the Arguments field and the ExePath field, all forward slash (/) characters and backwards slash characters (\) are interchangeable and match each other (so if your exe path in LB/BB uses forward slashes but you enter backwards slashes in the Arguments or ExePath field, it will still find the match appropriately). To further illustrate, let me describe how the entries above would match titles in your collection:

Entry #1:

• Any game with "mario" anywhere in the title
  • AND that has "nintendo" anywhere in the platform name
    • Example Matches: Super Mario World (Super Nintendo Entertainment System), Super Paper Mario (Nintendo Wii)
    • Example NON-Matches: Mario Andretti Racing (Sega Genesis)

Entry #2:

• Any game whose title begins with "street"
  • AND whose platform name matches "sony playstation 1" exactly
    • Example Matches: Street Fighter Alpha 3 (Sony Playstation 1)
    • Example NON-Matches: Sesame Street Sports (Sony Playstation 1), Street Fighter X Tekken (Sony Playstation Vita)

Entry #3:

• Any game that uses emulation and whose emulator name is exactly "retroarch"
    • Example Matching Emulator Names: "Retroarch", "retroarch", "RetroArch"
    • Example NON-Matching Emulator Names: "Retroarch Nightly"

Entry #4:

• Any game whose platform name matches "windows" exactly
  • AND whose executable path begins with "d:\"
    • Note: Assume the platform is "Windows" for all of the following examples
    • Example Matching Exe Paths: "D:\Games\Doom.exe", "d:/games/quake.exe"
    • Example NON-Matching Exe Paths: "C:\Games\Doom.exe", "../../Games/quake.exe", "Games\Windows\hl.exe"

Entry #5:

• Any game launch whose launch arguments contain "d:\roms\ps3\" (this would include any emulator whose launch arguments contain a rom located within this directory but would NOT include an emulator located within this directory, unless its launch arguments also included this string as well)
    • Example Matching Launch Arguments: "-f -nolegacy -g d:/roms/ps3/example.rom"

Please let me know if you think this is versatile enough to cover your own needs as well as the needs of others who might find this feature valuable. Of course, I'm all ears for any suggestions on how to go about it a different way (or a simpler way). Also, please let me know if you think using wildcard-supporting strings is sufficient or if you'd prefer to have full regex support (with a toggle for turning it on/off). I look forward to hearing all of your opinions on this!

I really like this. The more customizable the better in my opinion. I use the steam launcher for all but a few games so I guess a blacklist style would work best in my case. But either seems manageable. Looking forward to updates. Great job!

On 2/22/2021 at 9:41 AM, Lahma said:

Sorry I have not responded to you yet. I live in Texas and we've had record low temperatures and I've been without electricity for.. umm.. 4 days? 5 days? Kind of lost track... Anyways, it appears that the electricity is back on for good now. I will look at your log as soon as I can and get back to you.

Hey, sorry to hear that. Don't feel like you have to rush to fix this as it is not a critical problem for me. Hope your situation gets better!

Note: The Pastebin URL might have expired by now. Do let me know if you require any additional info from my end.

It's been a long while since I have been able to play, but I can't seem to get anything to launch at all after updating Lunchbox and the plugin, ideas? I have cleared out the plugins folder a couple times to no avail.

2021-03-04 15:55:52 [Info] [SettingsSystemMenuItem] [.ctor] - SettingsSystemMenuItem loaded.
2021-03-04 15:55:52 [Info] [SLInit] [.cctor] - SteamLauncher v0.9.7.5 loaded (64-bit mode) from 'D:\LaunchBox\Plugins\SteamLauncher\SteamLauncher.dll'.
2021-03-04 15:55:52 [Info] [Info] [LaunchBoxDir] - LaunchBox directory resolved to 'D:\LaunchBox'.
2021-03-04 15:55:52 [Info] [SteamProcessInfo] [GetSteamInstallPath] - Steam installation path: 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam'
2021-03-04 15:55:52 [Info] [SteamProcessInfo] [GetSteamClientDllPath] - Steam Client DLL path: 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamclient64.dll'
2021-03-04 15:55:52 [Info] [SteamProcessInfo] [GetSteamExePath] - Steam EXE path: 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe'
2021-03-04 15:55:52 [Info] [SteamProcessInfo] [GetSteamPid] - Attempting to retrieve Steam PID from registry value named 'pid' inside the key 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Valve\Steam\ActiveProcess'.
2021-03-04 15:55:52 [Info] [SteamProcessInfo] [GetSteamPid] - The Steam PID value retrieved from the registry is '12056'.
2021-03-04 15:55:52 [Info] [UseSteamLauncherSystemMenuItem] [.ctor] - UseSteamLauncherSystemMenuItem loaded - 'UniversalSteamLaunching' is set to True.
2021-03-04 15:55:52 [Info] [GameLaunchingPlugin] [.ctor] - GameLaunchingPlugin loaded.
2021-03-04 15:56:01 [Info] [GameLaunchingPlugin] [OnBeforeGameLaunching] - GameLaunchingPlugin:OnBeforeGameLaunching() - Game: Abadox: The Deadly Inner War 'E:\Roms\Nintendo - Nintendo Entertainment System\Abadox - The Deadly Inner War (USA).zip' - Emulator: Retroarch 'C:\RA\retroarch.exe'
2021-03-04 15:56:01 [Info] [ProxyEmulator] [SetLauncherExeToProxy] - Adding a RepairPath to the state file - Id: a6613b6b-3917-4ac7-84d9-191e72b4c2de - Path: 'C:\RA\retroarch.exe'
2021-03-04 15:56:01 [Info] [State] [Save] - Saving state data file.
2021-03-04 15:56:01 [Info] [State] [Save] - State data file saved.
2021-03-04 15:56:01 [Info] [ProxyEmulator] [SetLauncherExeToProxy] - Set 'Retroarch' application path to the proxy executable.
2021-03-04 15:56:02 [Info] [GameLaunchingPlugin] [OnAfterGameLaunched] - GameLaunchingPlugin:OnAfterGameLaunched() - Game: Abadox: The Deadly Inner War 'E:\Roms\Nintendo - Nintendo Entertainment System\Abadox - The Deadly Inner War (USA).zip' - Emulator: Retroarch 'Plugins\SteamLauncher\SteamLauncherProxy.exe'
2021-03-04 15:56:02 [Info] [ProxyEmulator] [RestoreAppPaths] - Repairing application paths...
2021-03-04 15:56:02 [Info] [ProxyEmulator] [RestoreAppPaths] - Successfully repaired path! Title: 'Retroarch' - Path before repair: 'Plugins\SteamLauncher\SteamLauncherProxy.exe' - Path after repair: 'C:\RA\retroarch.exe'
2021-03-04 15:56:02 [Info] [State] [Save] - Saving state data file.
2021-03-04 15:56:02 [Info] [State] [Save] - State data file saved.
2021-03-04 15:56:02 [Info] [ProxyEmulator] [EnableActiveWindowHook] - ProxyOnActiveWindowChanged is subscribing to ActiveWindowChanged.
2021-03-04 15:56:02 [Info] [ActiveWindow] [ActiveWindowChanged] - Adding new subscriber to ActiveWindowChanged.
2021-03-04 15:56:02 [Info] [ActiveWindow] [EnableHook] - Window event hook enabled.
2021-03-04 15:56:02 [Info] [GameShortcut] [.ctor] - Creating Game Shortcut - Platform: 'Nintendo Entertainment System'; Title: 'Abadox: The Deadly Inner War'
2021-03-04 15:56:02 [Info] [ActiveWindow] [WinEventProc] - WinEventProc - Window Title: 'SteamLauncherProxy' - Handle: '460604'.
2021-03-04 15:56:02 [Info] [ProxyEmulator] [ProxyOnActiveWindowChanged] - 'ProxyOnActiveWindowChanged' Event - Window Title: 'SteamLauncherProxy' - Handle: '460604'
2021-03-04 15:56:02 [Info] [ActiveWindow] [WinEventProc] - WinEventProc - Window Title: 'OBS 26.1.1 (64-bit, windows) - Profile: Untitled - Scenes: Untitled' - Handle: '591464'.
2021-03-04 15:56:02 [Info] [ProxyEmulator] [ProxyOnActiveWindowChanged] - 'ProxyOnActiveWindowChanged' Event - Window Title: 'OBS 26.1.1 (64-bit, windows) - Profile: Untitled - Scenes: Untitled' - Handle: '591464'
2021-03-04 15:56:02 [Info] [ActiveWindow] [WinEventProc] - WinEventProc - Window Title: 'SteamLauncherProxy' - Handle: '460604'.
2021-03-04 15:56:02 [Info] [ProxyEmulator] [ProxyOnActiveWindowChanged] - 'ProxyOnActiveWindowChanged' Event - Window Title: 'SteamLauncherProxy' - Handle: '460604'
2021-03-04 15:56:02 [Info] [ActiveWindow] [WinEventProc] - WinEventProc - Window Title: 'OBS 26.1.1 (64-bit, windows) - Profile: Untitled - Scenes: Untitled' - Handle: '591464'.
2021-03-04 15:56:02 [Info] [ProxyEmulator] [ProxyOnActiveWindowChanged] - 'ProxyOnActiveWindowChanged' Event - Window Title: 'OBS 26.1.1 (64-bit, windows) - Profile: Untitled - Scenes: Untitled' - Handle: '591464'
2021-03-04 15:56:02 [Info] [SteamContext] [.ctor] - Instantiating SteamContext singleton...
2021-03-04 15:56:02 [Info] [SteamContext] [ClientShortcuts] - Initializing ClientShortcuts...
2021-03-04 15:56:02 [Info] [SteamContext] [InitSteam] - Beginning initialization of Steam...
2021-03-04 15:56:02 [Info] [SteamContext] [InitSteam] - Steam initialization succeeded!
2021-03-04 15:56:02 [Info] [SteamContext] [InitClientEngineInterface] - Beginning initialization of the ClientEngine interface...
2021-03-04 15:56:02 [Info] [SteamContext] [InitClientEngineInterface] - ClientEngine initialization succeeded! (CLIENTENGINE_INTERFACE_VERSION005)
2021-03-04 15:56:02 [Info] [SteamContext] [InitClientShortcutsInterface] - Beginning initialization of the ClientShortcuts interface...
2021-03-04 15:56:02 [Error] [SteamContext] [InitClientShortcutsInterface] - Failed to retrieve a valid ClientShortcuts interface address. Aborting initialization.
2021-03-04 15:56:02 [Error] [GameLaunchingPlugin] [OnAfterGameLaunched] - An error occurred while creating/launching the Steam shortcut: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
2021-03-04 15:56:02 [Info] [ProxyEmulator] [DisposeProxyEmulator] - Disposing ProxyEmulator.
2021-03-04 15:56:02 [Info] [ProxyEmulator] [DisableActiveWindowHook] - ProxyOnActiveWindowChanged is unsubscribing from ActiveWindowChanged.
2021-03-04 15:56:02 [Info] [ActiveWindow] [ActiveWindowChanged] - Removing subscriber from ActiveWindowChanged.
2021-03-04 15:56:02 [Info] [ActiveWindow] [ActiveWindowChanged] - Last subscriber unsubscribed from ActiveWindowChanged.
2021-03-04 15:56:02 [Info] [ActiveWindow] [DisableHook] - Window event hook disabled.
2021-03-04 15:56:03 [Info] [GameLaunchingPlugin] [OnGameExited] - GameLaunchingPlugin:OnGameExited()

On 3/1/2021 at 1:51 PM, Carl Cross said:

works with Yuzu?

I don't see why not. Should work just fine. Let me know if you have any issues. (Sorry it took me so long to get back to you.. Life has been a bit crazy the past few weeks.)

Edited by Lahma

On 2/27/2021 at 9:12 AM, Aetavicus said:

Hey, sorry to hear that. Don't feel like you have to rush to fix this as it is not a critical problem for me. Hope your situation gets better!

Note: The Pastebin URL might have expired by now. Do let me know if you require any additional info from my end.

I'm really sorry about not getting back to you yet man.. I've had a LOT going on the past few weeks. The pastebin URL did indeed expire. I do want to look into your issue further though. Unfortunately, it looks like there may be a bigger issue going on with the plugin at the moment. Literally discovered it right this minute. Looks like a recent Steam update might have broken something. I'm looking into it as I type this so let me figure that out first and then we'll come back to your issue.

Just letting everyone know that I'm looking into some weird problems going on with the plugin at the moment. For me, LB is stalling on startup and the window never actually appears. If I had to take a random guess, I would say that a recent Steam update probably broke something but that is total conjecture at this point. I will let y'all know as soon as I figure out what the issue is. It would probably be helpful if y'all could chime in on whether y'all are seeing the same issue or not (and whether you are running Steam or Steam beta).

Update: Looks like the Steam beta might have made some type of significant changes in the vtable structures again. If you're having problems with the plugin while running the beta version of Steam, try switching to the non-beta version until I have a chance to release a hotfix.

Edited by Lahma

On 3/4/2021 at 5:02 PM, cammelspit said:

It's been a long while since I have been able to play, but I can't seem to get anything to launch at all after updating Lunchbox and the plugin, ideas? I have cleared out the plugins folder a couple times to no avail.

[*Removed log*]

For future reference, I directly talked with @cammelspit about his problem on Steam.