Jump to content
LaunchBox Community Forums

Recommended Posts

  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/26/2020 at 3:26 PM, xsessive182 said:

image.thumb.png.47423265458bfb7b79c49538efe067e3.pngimage.thumb.png.e968ab528ce7ca14281baa33cf7a9065.pngimage.thumb.png.06e0eec8d6358f4166974ac5bb9ef695.pnghi guys, 

Dont know if this has been ask before but the plugin wont let me launch games from uplay , origin or epic. Is there a setting i have to change? added the error message i get

Sorry to leave you hanging. I know Origin definitely has issues with the Steam Overlay in general. I will test on my own rig and get back to you. Haven't had a chance to be on the last while but when I do ill be sure to update. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/3/2020 at 4:04 PM, JedExodus said:

Sorry to leave you hanging. I know Origin definitely has issues with the Steam Overlay in general. I will test on my own rig and get back to you. Haven't had a chance to be on the last while but when I do ill be sure to update. 

no Problem,

 

 If you need help de bugging or trouble shooting let me know

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Hey, just found this plugin, and it was just what I was looking for to get more controller compatibility with Demul. Only question I have, is there a way to disable "universal" steamlauncher? I only want to use it for that specific emulator. When I try changing it to false in the xml, it just changes it back. Not sure where else to look in the UI.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/5/2020 at 8:37 AM, xsessive182 said:

no Problem,

 

 If you need help de bugging or trouble shooting let me know

 

Author of the plugin here. Basically, any game launcher that doesn't work or has problems when adding that game/launcher as a non-Steam shortcut in Steam isn't going to magically work when using the plugin. All that SteamLauncher is doing is dynamically adding a non-Steam shortcut to Steam using unexposed/undocumented/unexported Steam functions and then attempting to seamlessly handle the starting/exiting of that non-Steam shortcut while maintaining tight LaunchBox/BigBox integration. For some titles/launchers that do not work "out of the box", there are workarounds that can be used to get things working (see 'Game Launchers' tab in the settings GUI) but in most cases its going to require either a custom batch file launcher that is then converted to an EXE (using Bat to Exe Converter) or the use of external helper utility (such as GloSC, NSO-Manager, etc). You'll probably find that in most cases however the trouble just isn't worth the hassle.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/13/2020 at 5:16 PM, AMovieReference said:

Hey, just found this plugin, and it was just what I was looking for to get more controller compatibility with Demul. Only question I have, is there a way to disable "universal" steamlauncher? I only want to use it for that specific emulator. When I try changing it to false in the xml, it just changes it back. Not sure where else to look in the UI.

Currently, the plugin is either enabled or disabled and there is no way to add a blacklist or whitelist. However, I have actually implemented this functionality in an unreleased update but it is not yet ready for release. Another user notified me that the "Tools -> Use SteamLauncher (ON/OFF)" toggle is not working (or at least isn't in the last build I posted in the forum thread.. I've fixed it and it will be working in the next update). You can get around this by opening the settings GUI (Tools -> SteamLauncher Settings) and checking/unchecking the "Enable SteamLauncher" checkbox and clicking "Save". The reason it probably wasn't working for you by modifying the XML is most likely because you were modifying the XML file while LaunchBox/BigBox was running. I'm trying to get an update pushed out as soon as I can but I'm honestly WAY overwhelmed with other things going on right now (holidays stuff, my car stopped running the other day and I have it all torn apart trying to fix an electrical issue, overloaded with work-related stuff, etc and so on). Rest assured that I'm trying my hardest though and I will try to get that blacklist/whitelist implemented in the next update if I can (the feature is implemented in a fork and is mostly untested so it still has some work to do before integrating into the mainline build.)

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/19/2020 at 7:47 PM, jlarsen1981 said:

Hello all, I am just now getting this going. Curious though, how do I use the BigBox hotkeys to exit a game back to BigBox? It always seems to just minimize the emulator window, then open Steam.

Hi @jlarsen1981, glad to have another SteamLauncher user onboard! Personally, I don't use BigBox much and generally I just ensure that the plugin is operational with it. Actually, I didn't even know there was hotkeys you could set to exit a game in BigBox. However, having written the plugin and therefore understanding how it works, I can make a pretty good guess at what the problem is. If the BigBox hotkey simply force exits the game/emulator process, the problem is most likely that it is exiting the wrong process. The way the plugin operates is this: 

  • When you launch a game/emulator/rom in LB/BB, immediately prior to LB/BB actually launching that process, SteamLauncher very briefly (milliseconds) changes the game/emulator's exe path in LB/BB to the "SteamLauncherProxy.exe" file included with the plugin
    • Note: This means that LB/BB is actually launching "SteamLauncherProxy.exe" instead of the game/emulator exe that you would assume it is launching (the reason why this happens is long and complicated but suffice it to say that Steam has to launch the game itself in order to have the Steam overlay active.. the proxy exe exists in order to provide a "link" between the game process that Steam launches and the game process that LB/BB thinks it is launching)
  • Immediately after LB/BB starts the "SteamLauncherProxy.exe" process, SteamLauncher changes the game/emulator path back to its original value in LB/BB
    • Note: The important thing to note here is that even though the game/emulator path is changed for only a matter of milliseconds in LB/BB, LB/BB will still assume the game/emu EXE is whatever it was when it launched it ("SteamLauncherProxy.exe").. this means that for the lifetime of the game/emulator process, LB/BB thinks the game process is actually "SteamLauncherProxy.exe"
  • For the rest of the lifetime of the game/emulator process, SteamLauncher monitors the actual game/emulator process that Steam launched (lets call it "Retroarch.exe") and whenever that process ends, SteamLauncher will immediately force kill the SteamLauncherProxy.exe process... only when this happens will LB/BB think that the game/emulator process has actually ended

To summarize all of that (sorry, you probably weren't asking for a detailed explanation of the inner workings of the plugin), the problem is almost certainly that whenever you hit the BigBox "Close Game" hotkey, BigBox is killing the "SteamLauncherProxy.exe" process instead of the actual game process that was started by Steam. Since I was not aware of of this hotkeys existence prior to this, there was no mechanism in place to handle this situation. With that being said, there are a couple of ways that I can immediately think of to handle/fix this.

  • The most obvious solution would be to read LB/BB's config for the "Close Game" hotkey combination and hook this same hotkey so that SteamLauncher can force exit the actual game/emulator process whenever this hotkey is detected.. this is likely the easiest/best option
  • Another way this could possibly be handled (or in addition to the previous method) is having SteamLauncher automatically end the game/emulator process whenever the "SteamLauncherProxy.exe" process exits
    • I'm a little reluctant to handle things this way as it would obviously be a very bad thing to kill a game/emulator whenever the user didn't intend for that to happen.. and there are a few instances I could think of where "SteamLauncherProxy.exe" could be closed with a game still running (and without the user intending it to stop running)

I will add this feature to my list of "to do's" and I will try to get it implemented for the next major release but no promises. It would be helpful for other users to chime in here if they would use this feature or find it helpful so I can assign it the appropriate priority. Thanks again for the heads up on this @jlarsen1981. Hopefully I answered your question and hopefully I can get this fixed for you ASAP. In the meantime, I would suggest using the Steam controller configuration overlay to set a button/key combination to output "ALT + F4" (which will exit the currently focused app/game/emu).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Lahma said:

Hi @jlarsen1981, glad to have another SteamLauncher user onboard! Personally, I don't use BigBox much and generally I just ensure that the plugin is operational with it. Actually, I didn't even know there was hotkeys you could set to exit a game in BigBox. However, having written the plugin and therefore understanding how it works, I can make a pretty good guess at what the problem is. If the BigBox hotkey simply force exits the game/emulator process, the problem is most likely that it is exiting the wrong process. The way the plugin operates is this: 

  • When you launch a game/emulator/rom in LB/BB, immediately prior to LB/BB actually launching that process, SteamLauncher very briefly (milliseconds) changes the game/emulator's exe path in LB/BB to the "SteamLauncherProxy.exe" file included with the plugin
    • Note: This means that LB/BB is actually launching "SteamLauncherProxy.exe" instead of the game/emulator exe that you would assume it is launching (the reason why this happens is long and complicated but suffice it to say that Steam has to launch the game itself in order to have the Steam overlay active.. the proxy exe exists in order to provide a "link" between the game process that Steam launches and the game process that LB/BB thinks it is launching)
  • Immediately after LB/BB starts the "SteamLauncherProxy.exe" process, SteamLauncher changes the game/emulator path back to its original value in LB/BB
    • Note: The important thing to note here is that even though the game/emulator path is changed for only a matter of milliseconds in LB/BB, LB/BB will still assume the game/emu EXE is whatever it was when it launched it ("SteamLauncherProxy.exe").. this means that for the lifetime of the game/emulator process, LB/BB thinks the game process is actually "SteamLauncherProxy.exe"
  • For the rest of the lifetime of the game/emulator process, SteamLauncher monitors the actual game/emulator process that Steam launched (lets call it "Retroarch.exe") and whenever that process ends, SteamLauncher will immediately force kill the SteamLauncherProxy.exe process... only when this happens will LB/BB think that the game/emulator process has actually ended

To summarize all of that (sorry, you probably weren't asking for a detailed explanation of the inner workings of the plugin), the problem is almost certainly that whenever you hit the BigBox "Close Game" hotkey, BigBox is killing the "SteamLauncherProxy.exe" process instead of the actual game process that was started by Steam. Since I was not aware of of this hotkeys existence prior to this, there was no mechanism in place to handle this situation. With that being said, there are a couple of ways that I can immediately think of to handle/fix this.

  • The most obvious solution would be to read LB/BB's config for the "Close Game" hotkey combination and hook this same hotkey so that SteamLauncher can force exit the actual game/emulator process whenever this hotkey is detected.. this is likely the easiest/best option
  • Another way this could possibly be handled (or in addition to the previous method) is having SteamLauncher automatically end the game/emulator process whenever the "SteamLauncherProxy.exe" process exits
    • I'm a little reluctant to handle things this way as it would obviously be a very bad thing to kill a game/emulator whenever the user didn't intend for that to happen.. and there are a few instances I could think of where "SteamLauncherProxy.exe" could be closed with a game still running (and without the user intending it to stop running)

I will add this feature to my list of "to do's" and I will try to get it implemented for the next major release but no promises. It would be helpful for other users to chime in here if they would use this feature or find it helpful so I can assign it the appropriate priority. Thanks again for the heads up on this @jlarsen1981. Hopefully I answered your question and hopefully I can get this fixed for you ASAP. In the meantime, I would suggest using the Steam controller configuration overlay to set a button/key combination to output "ALT + F4" (which will exit the currently focused app/game/emu).

That pretty well sums it up. Thank you for such a useful tool, and for sharing your talents with us. I do have one other question. When using it seems as though when Big Picture is not minimized the controller does not respond normally in BigBox, it is using the Steam Desktop Controller profile. I did manage to work around that, by turning off the profile, but this still has some drawbacks. I am far more familiar with BigBox, than Steam, how do I set up the desktop profile to respond like a regular controller to eliminate the minor niggles that I am having. (My friend's son is six, and her and him used to live with me. He fell in love with gaming during that time, but now has nothing to play on. I am trying to set up something that he can use to play his favorite games that were on my rig, while keeping it simple to navigate, for him and his mother. Who now live 80 miles away.)

Again, thank you for the thorough response, and no rush. Happy Holidays!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/22/2020 at 6:13 PM, jlarsen1981 said:

That pretty well sums it up. Thank you for such a useful tool, and for sharing your talents with us. I do have one other question. When using it seems as though when Big Picture is not minimized the controller does not respond normally in BigBox, it is using the Steam Desktop Controller profile. I did manage to work around that, by turning off the profile, but this still has some drawbacks. I am far more familiar with BigBox, than Steam, how do I set up the desktop profile to respond like a regular controller to eliminate the minor niggles that I am having. (My friend's son is six, and her and him used to live with me. He fell in love with gaming during that time, but now has nothing to play on. I am trying to set up something that he can use to play his favorite games that were on my rig, while keeping it simple to navigate, for him and his mother. Who now live 80 miles away.)

Again, thank you for the thorough response, and no rush. Happy Holidays!

 

It makes me happy to know that others find my plugin as useful as I do and the many, many hours I've put into its development have been a great learning experience for me. My only regret is that I have not had nearly as much time to put into its development (especially recently) as I would like. I've been attempting to push out the 1.0 release for so long now but every time I think I'm close, there is something new that pops up that needs addressing. Oh well... Hopefully it won't be too much longer.

If you can give me a few more details about the problem you're experiencing, I think I can help you resolve your issue, but I'm not sure I quite understand exactly what the problem is from your description. Are you suggesting that you're launching BigBox from (while in) Steam's Big Picture Mode? If so, I wouldn't expect the plugin to work at all... I suspect you already know this, but you can modify Steam's desktop controller profile by going to this option in Steam's settings:

image.thumb.png.2a144dcd0e54a0ba27ad1d365dcf8e57.pngThen, click "Browse Configs", go to "Templates", and select the "Gamepad" profile. This will make your desktop profile act just like a normal controller. Again, you probably already know how to do this and I'm just missing something so please give me some additional details so I can help you further. Thanks!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I may have some more testing to do on my end. I was assuming that Steam needed to be open, but with BigBox as the focused window. Currently I'm using a Switch Pro Controller, and when I look at templates for Desktop Configuration I don't see anything listed. I'm guessing the Pro Controller has a more limited use on Steam than XBOX or PS controllers, and there just haven't been any templates built for it. I bought these controllers specifically for the little guy, because Mario is his favorite thing. Again, thanks you so much for your help, I will spend a little more time with it myself and see if I can't get it figured out a little better, and hopefully get it all working.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/24/2020 at 3:12 PM, jlarsen1981 said:

I may have some more testing to do on my end. I was assuming that Steam needed to be open, but with BigBox as the focused window. Currently I'm using a Switch Pro Controller, and when I look at templates for Desktop Configuration I don't see anything listed. I'm guessing the Pro Controller has a more limited use on Steam than XBOX or PS controllers, and there just haven't been any templates built for it. I bought these controllers specifically for the little guy, because Mario is his favorite thing. Again, thanks you so much for your help, I will spend a little more time with it myself and see if I can't get it figured out a little better, and hopefully get it all working.

Steam DOES need to be open (well.. if it isn't open, the plugin will automatically start Steam itself) but Big Picture Mode does NOT need to be active (although its probably ok if BPM is active as long as you don't start LaunchBox/BigBox through a shortcut in BPM). What I was trying to say, but probably did not explain sufficiently, is that you cannot start LaunchBox/BigBox via Steam and expect the plugin to work (more specifically, you cannot add LB/BB to Steam as a non-Steam shortcut and use that shortcut within Steam to start LB/BB). LaunchBox/BigBox must be started outside of Steam (by just double clicking their exe, a shortcut to their exe, a start menu entry, or whatever other way).

What I mean by a "non-Steam" shortcut in Steamimage.png.47e6cccca126f5a4fdb83953d720ff85.pngThe reason this cannot work is because whenever you launch LB/BB as a non-Steam shortcut, Steam thinks you are already playing a game (a game called "LaunchBox" or "BigBox" [or really whatever you name the non-Steam shortcut]) and because Steam is already tracking/managing a currently running "game", the plugin cannot tell Steam to start another game.

I use my Switch Pro controller with Steam all the time and you can definitely change its desktop profile to be a normal gamepad. At the bottom of the screen, you should see a prompt to "Show Other Controller Types". If you select that, you should see the generic "Gamepad" profile show up:

image.thumb.png.eb756b2b4a385f0b6a0b30a64e0b4e21.pngIf you don't, go into Steam's settings, click the "Controller" tab, click the "General Controller Settings" button, and ensure that you have all of these boxes checked (in your case, particularly the "Switch Pro Configuration Support" but also the "Generic Gamepad Configuration Support"):

image.thumb.png.071789f6feb6e8883ab846692526d030.pngAdditionally, I would also recommend having these boxes checked in the "In-Game" tab in Steam's settings (or at least the top 2):

image.thumb.png.1a2cdcf5c35ff8a2fc5188ab8ad790dc.pngPlease let me know if I explained things a bit better this time and let me know if you figured things out. Hopefully we can get things working properly for your little buddy. I know what it is like trying to get something like this setup in such a way that it is easy for someone inexperienced to use it easily without any complicated and/or unnecessary steps. I'm not sure the plugin is ideal for that situation but I think you should be able to get it all setup in such a way that makes it easy for him to use.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok guys, I need a bit of feedback from y'all (or at least from anyone who cares about this feature). Some of y'all were requesting a feature that would exempt certain games/roms/emulators from use with the plugin... basically, a way to tell LB/BB to not use SteamLauncher when launching certain titles. I promised I would try to fit this feature into the 1.0 release and I am finally ready to start implementing it. Problem is, I haven't decided yet how it would be best implemented. Let me first describe how I am thinking of implementing it, and then y'all can tell me whether or not you think this will satisfy your needs, or instead, suggest a better way of going about it.

My current idea is to basically just do a full-fledged blacklist/whitelist approach with a user defined list of regex (or, as in the example below, possibly just wildcard-supporting) strings for the various possible fields. The user could select from 3 primary modes: off, whitelist, blacklist. If either blacklist or whitelist is selected, a datagrid would be enabled in the settings UI which would allow the user to enter an unlimited number of entries, with each entry having several fields such as GameTitle, PlatformName, EmulatorName, Arguments, and ExePath. In practice, it would look something like this:

GameTitle PlatformName EmulatorName Arguments ExePath
*Mario* *Nintendo*      
Street* Sony Playstation 1      
    Retroarch    
  Windows     D:\*
      *D:\Roms\PS3\*  


If it was set to blacklist mode, anything that matched the entries in the example datagrid above would NOT launch via SteamLauncher but everything else that did not match the entries would launch via SteamLauncher. If set to whitelist mode, anything that matched the entries in the example datagrid above WOULD launch via SteamLauncher but everything else that did not match the entries would run without the use of SteamLauncher. For this example (although it probably would be so in the real implementation too), let's say all terms are case insensitive and for both the Arguments field and the ExePath field, all forward slash (/) characters and backwards slash characters (\) are interchangeable and match each other (so if your exe path in LB/BB uses forward slashes but you enter backwards slashes in the Arguments or ExePath field, it will still find the match appropriately). To further illustrate, let me describe how the entries above would match titles in your collection:

 

Entry #1:

  • Any game with "mario" anywhere in the title
  • AND that has "nintendo" anywhere in the platform name
    • Example Matches: Super Mario World (Super Nintendo Entertainment System), Super Paper Mario (Nintendo Wii)
    • Example NON-Matches: Mario Andretti Racing (Sega Genesis)

Entry #2:

  • Any game whose title begins with "street"
  • AND whose platform name matches "sony playstation 1" exactly
    • Example Matches: Street Fighter Alpha 3 (Sony Playstation 1)
    • Example NON-Matches: Sesame Street Sports (Sony Playstation 1), Street Fighter X Tekken (Sony Playstation Vita)

Entry #3:

  • Any game that uses emulation and whose emulator name is exactly "retroarch"
    • Example Matching Emulator Names: "Retroarch", "retroarch", "RetroArch"
    • Example NON-Matching Emulator Names: "Retroarch Nightly"

Entry #4:

  • Any game whose platform name matches "windows" exactly
  • AND whose executable path begins with "d:\"
    • Note: Assume the platform is "Windows" for all of the following examples
    • Example Matching Exe Paths: "D:\Games\Doom.exe", "d:/games/quake.exe"
    • Example NON-Matching Exe Paths: "C:\Games\Doom.exe", "../../Games/quake.exe", "Games\Windows\hl.exe"

Entry #5:

  • Any game launch whose launch arguments contain "d:\roms\ps3\" (this would include any emulator whose launch arguments contain a rom located within this directory but would NOT include an emulator located within this directory, unless its launch arguments also included this string as well)
    • Example Matching Launch Arguments: "-f -nolegacy -g d:/roms/ps3/example.rom"

Please let me know if you think this is versatile enough to cover your own needs as well as the needs of others who might find this feature valuable. Of course, I'm all ears for any suggestions on how to go about it a different way (or a simpler way). Also, please let me know if you think using wildcard-supporting strings is sufficient or if you'd prefer to have full regex support (with a toggle for turning it on/off). I look forward to hearing all of your opinions on this!

Edited by Lahma
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/30/2020 at 7:56 AM, Lahma said:

Ok guys, I need a bit of feedback from y'all (or at least from anyone who cares about this feature). Some of y'all were requesting a feature that would exempt certain games/roms/emulators from use with the plugin... basically, a way to tell LB/BB to not use SteamLauncher when launching certain titles. I promised I would try to fit this feature into the 1.0 release and I am finally ready to start implementing it. Problem is, I haven't decided yet how it would be best implemented. Let me first describe how I am thinking of implementing it, and then y'all can tell me whether or not you think this will satisfy your needs, or instead, suggest a better way of going about it.

My current idea is to basically just do a full-fledged blacklist/whitelist approach with a user defined list of regex (or, as in the example below, possibly just wildcard-supporting) strings for the various possible fields. The user could select from 3 primary modes: off, whitelist, blacklist. If either blacklist or whitelist is selected, a datagrid would be enabled in the settings UI which would allow the user to enter an unlimited number of entries, with each entry having several fields such as GameTitle, PlatformName, EmulatorName, Arguments, and ExePath. In practice, it would look something like this:

GameTitle PlatformName EmulatorName Arguments ExePath
*Mario* *Nintendo*      
Street* Sony Playstation 1      
    Retroarch    
  Windows     D:\*
      *D:\Roms\PS3\*  


If it was set to blacklist mode, anything that matched the entries in the example datagrid above would NOT launch via SteamLauncher but everything else that did not match the entries would launch via SteamLauncher. If set to whitelist mode, anything that matched the entries in the example datagrid above WOULD launch via SteamLauncher but everything else that did not match the entries would run without the use of SteamLauncher. For this example (although it probably would be so in the real implementation too), let's say all terms are case insensitive and for both the Arguments field and the ExePath field, all forward slash (/) characters and backwards slash characters (\) are interchangeable and match each other (so if your exe path in LB/BB uses forward slashes but you enter backwards slashes in the Arguments or ExePath field, it will still find the match appropriately). To further illustrate, let me describe how the entries above would match titles in your collection:

 

Entry #1:

  • Any game with "mario" anywhere in the title
  • AND that has "nintendo" anywhere in the platform name
    • Example Matches: Super Mario World (Super Nintendo Entertainment System), Super Paper Mario (Nintendo Wii)
    • Example NON-Matches: Mario Andretti Racing (Sega Genesis)

Entry #2:

  • Any game whose title begins with "street"
  • AND whose platform name matches "sony playstation 1" exactly
    • Example Matches: Street Fighter Alpha 3 (Sony Playstation 1)
    • Example NON-Matches: Sesame Street Sports (Sony Playstation 1), Street Fighter X Tekken (Sony Playstation Vita)

Entry #3:

  • Any game that uses emulation and whose emulator name is exactly "retroarch"
    • Example Matching Emulator Names: "Retroarch", "retroarch", "RetroArch"
    • Example NON-Matching Emulator Names: "Retroarch Nightly"

Entry #4:

  • Any game whose platform name matches "windows" exactly
  • AND whose executable path begins with "d:\"
    • Note: Assume the platform is "Windows" for all of the following examples
    • Example Matching Exe Paths: "D:\Games\Doom.exe", "d:/games/quake.exe"
    • Example NON-Matching Exe Paths: "C:\Games\Doom.exe", "../../Games/quake.exe", "Games\Windows\hl.exe"

Entry #5:

  • Any game launch whose launch arguments contain "d:\roms\ps3\" (this would include any emulator whose launch arguments contain a rom located within this directory but would NOT include an emulator located within this directory, unless its launch arguments also included this string as well)
    • Example Matching Launch Arguments: "-f -nolegacy -g d:/roms/ps3/example.rom"

Please let me know if you think this is versatile enough to cover your own needs as well as the needs of others who might find this feature valuable. Of course, I'm all ears for any suggestions on how to go about it a different way (or a simpler way). Also, please let me know if you think using wildcard-supporting strings is sufficient or if you'd prefer to have full regex support (with a toggle for turning it on/off). I look forward to hearing all of your opinions on this!

This looks ideal for my use case, or indeed any I can think of. 

If I were to offer feedback it may be a bit involved for some users, but then I guess if someone has gone to the lengths of getting LB and installing the plug in they're probably competent enough to use the proposed setup. 

If it could hook into LB's playlist, Platform Catergory for example and offer a checkbox for disabling the plugin from there it would probably be a touch more user-friendly I suppose. But really I personally think its a great and powerful implementation and it would suit my needs perfectly 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/30/2020 at 2:56 AM, Lahma said:

Ok guys, I need a bit of feedback from y'all (or at least from anyone who cares about this feature). Some of y'all were requesting a feature that would exempt certain games/roms/emulators from use with the plugin... basically, a way to tell LB/BB to not use SteamLauncher when launching certain titles. I promised I would try to fit this feature into the 1.0 release and I am finally ready to start implementing it. Problem is, I haven't decided yet how it would be best implemented. Let me first describe how I am thinking of implementing it, and then y'all can tell me whether or not you think this will satisfy your needs, or instead, suggest a better way of going about it.

My current idea is to basically just do a full-fledged blacklist/whitelist approach with a user defined list of regex (or, as in the example below, possibly just wildcard-supporting) strings for the various possible fields. The user could select from 3 primary modes: off, whitelist, blacklist. If either blacklist or whitelist is selected, a datagrid would be enabled in the settings UI which would allow the user to enter an unlimited number of entries, with each entry having several fields such as GameTitle, PlatformName, EmulatorName, Arguments, and ExePath. In practice, it would look something like this:

GameTitle PlatformName EmulatorName Arguments ExePath
*Mario* *Nintendo*      
Street* Sony Playstation 1      
    Retroarch    
  Windows     D:\*
      *D:\Roms\PS3\*  

 

While the level of customization looks good and I'm sure is nice for some people, I can't think of a single instance where I would need anything beyond a simple "disable?" checkbox for each platform (specifically in my case, just PC games that use steam already). That said this still looks good to be and I'm looking forward to the new release!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I am trying to get this plugin working for a PS3 game but have not been successful so far.

Here's what I did:

  1. Steam is running in the background and in-game overlay is enabled. (I don't use Big Picture mode)
  2. Downloaded the latest version from this forum (v0.9.3.0)
  3. Extracted the SteamLauncher into the plugin folder of LB
    • Currently placed at: C:\Emulation\LaunchBox\Plugins\SteamLauncher
  4. Launched LB and checked that the Steam Launcher setting under Tools is set to On
  5. Attempt to launch one of my PS3 games but an error message will appear saying "The file you specified for the emulator application path was not found".
    • This error only happens when the SteamLauncher setting is enabled.
    • When disabled, rpcs3 starts up and launches the game as per normal.
    • Took at look at the emulation app path and it is currently set to "..\Plugins\SteamLauncher\SteamLauncherProxy.exe" when SteamLauncher is enabled.
    • The sample command would be SteamLauncherProxy.exe "FULL\PATH\TO\ROM\FILE"

Is there something I am missing in here?

Edited by Aetavicus
More details
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Aetavicus said:

I am trying to get this plugin working for a PS3 game but have not been successful so far.

Here's what I did:

  1. Steam is running in the background and in-game overlay is enabled. (I don't use Big Picture mode)
  2. Downloaded the latest version from this forum (v0.9.3.0)
  3. Extracted the SteamLauncher into the plugin folder of LB
    • Currently placed at: C:\Emulation\LaunchBox\Plugins\SteamLauncher
  4. Launched LB and checked that the Steam Launcher setting under Tools is set to On
  5. Attempt to launch one of my PS3 games but an error message will appear saying "The file you specified for the emulator application path was not found".
    • This error only happens when the SteamLauncher setting is enabled.
    • When disabled, rpcs3 starts up and launches the game as per normal.
    • Took at look at the emulation app path and it is currently set to "..\Plugins\SteamLauncher\SteamLauncherProxy.exe" when SteamLauncher is enabled.
    • The sample command would be SteamLauncherProxy.exe "FULL\PATH\TO\ROM\FILE"

Is there something I am missing in here?

For some reason the plugin will sometimes remove the emulator and instead add in its place "SteamLauncherProxy.exe" as the emulator. I had this problem in the past with PCSX2. Most likely the same issue here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...