LaunchBox Community Forums

1 hour ago, Lahma said:

Do you ever find yourself having more fun messing with setting up the controller configs/profiles than playing the actual game? Not saying that has ever happened to me or anything... but I did hear that from a "friend" once. Weird guy... ?

Not me! But I have this "weird friend" who will buy a game and spend so much time messing around with the controls until they are *perfect* that he won't even feel like playing the game. It's me. I do this. 

• Haha 2

Alright, the new update is ready to go. I've done very little testing prior to releasing this so there may be bugs or unforeseen issues. It is 6AM now and I've been working on getting this finished for about the last 14 hours... Needless to say, I am tired and need some sleep. If you have any issues, please post them here in the support thread and I will address them as soon as I can. If everything works great for you, I would love to hear that too. You can download the new update from the plugin download page linked below:

SteamLauncher NETCore Alpha v0.9.7.6

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Game On 2

22 hours ago, Lahma said:

Do you ever find yourself having more fun messing with setting up the controller configs/profiles than playing the actual game? Not saying that has ever happened to me or anything... but I did hear that from a "friend" once. Weird guy... ?

I have the same uh... friend! Thanks for the update I'll test it out and let you know if I encounter any issues.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all the feedback everyone! Glad to hear that everything seems to be working fine so far. FYI, I haven't forgotten about the whitelist/blacklist feature. I've made significant progress on it and I hope to release an update with it implemented soon.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Unusual Gem 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2021 at 7:09 PM, Metrasher said:

I have this thing with Epic Games on latest Launchbox beta, desktop mode when SteamLauncher is ON:
image.thumb.png.69b2d1eb87f2407cc6ff80658775449c.png

This happens on every Epic game, auto searched ones by Launchbox I mean.

is there something I could do?
Thanks, people.

Have tested this and get the same result. 

Workaround that I found (tested on The Outer Wilds) was right-click the title in Launchbox, go to edit, launching and change the application path to the exe of whatever you're trying to launch. Hope this helps 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry if this was covered already but is there any reason this wouldn't work with a windows 10 app? I only have one game (minecraft) through the windows store, imported to launchbox as a shortcut .lnk file and if Steamlauncher is on, launchbox doesn't do anything when I try to launch it. No error, no movement at all. Not a huge deal since honestly if I ever want to play it I usually don't bother opening LB to launch it, but curious. 

8 hours ago, fromlostdays said:

Sorry if this was covered already but is there any reason this wouldn't work with a windows 10 app? I only have one game (minecraft) through the windows store, imported to launchbox as a shortcut .lnk file and if Steamlauncher is on, launchbox doesn't do anything when I try to launch it. No error, no movement at all. Not a huge deal since honestly if I ever want to play it I usually don't bother opening LB to launch it, but curious. 

Windows store games won't let you launch through Steam at all unless you use a third party program like Glosc. 

Haven't yet tried a glosc shortcut in LB using Steam Launcher myself though

On 4/28/2021 at 1:09 AM, fromlostdays said:

Can confirm if you add a Windows store game to steam using glosc you can run it through Steam Launcher in LB if you use the target path of the shortcut Glosc greatest in Steam for the game. Check it out

• Game On 1
  • The Cake is a Lie 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/4/2021 at 9:42 PM, mrdead said:

Origin links not working Boss

image.thumb.png.ad78e0a025ecd73f3c4cdf2ee692e88b.png

I noticed this too.

I don't know if it was working with latest update of SteamLauncher, I haven't tried to play Origin games lately until yesterday. 
Maybe something changed on Origin side?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2021 at 6:50 PM, fromlostdays said:

Not me! But I have this "weird friend" who will buy a game and spend so much time messing around with the controls until they are *perfect* that he won't even feel like playing the game. It's me. I do this. 

I probably modded Morrowind for 500 hours and played it for like 20.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2021 at 2:42 PM, mrdead said:

Origin links not working Boss

image.thumb.png.ad78e0a025ecd73f3c4cdf2ee692e88b.png

Trying to keep the plugin updated to work with all of these various launchers and their unique problems (especially when most of them are going out of their way to make 3rd party overlays not function with their launcher/games) is honestly something that I am probably just not going to be able to keep up with. In nearly all instances, there are workarounds and solutions you can implement if YOU decide that it is worth investing the time and effort to learn what these are and how to apply them. However, given that I have spent many, many hundreds of hours developing this plugin by myself, in my free time, without so much as asking for a single donation, I hope you will forgive me when I admit that I'm probably just not up to investing the extra effort into keeping up with unique intricacies of each publisher's launcher and battling against their constant efforts to keep 3rd party overlays from working.

I may make exceptions to this in some instances but it will probably require some help and effort on your part as well. Instead of just saying that "so and so" launcher doesn't work, you might 1st check if manually adding a non-Steam shortcut to Steam with one of their games works in the 1st place. If it does, then perhaps it is an issue that I might be able to look into and fix. If it doesn't, then this is likely not something I am going to be able to implement at the end of the day, as all this plugin does is to create a temporary non-Steam shortcut in a way that is convenient and transparent to the user. Any additional information, debug logs, or notes you are able to provide me can go a long way in getting a problem fixed. It makes me very happy to be able to share the efforts of all my work with all of you but at the end of the day, if you really want an issue that is important to you fixed, putting in just a little time yourself to investigate the issue and provide me with a little bit of background may be the difference between the problem remaining in limbo and the problem getting fixed.

With all of that being said, perhaps you might be willing to look into whether or not Origin games in general work with the Steam overlay? If not, probably the only solution is going to be something such as GlosC as others have mentioned in reference to UWP/Window Store games. Sorry if my response was a little more direct than usual but I have been very busy and stressed out with work stuff lately and I just haven't had nearly as much time to dedicate to the plugin as I would like. The point of my response was just to indicate that any help I could get from any of you that would make it quicker/easier for me to fix issues (that are fixable) would really go a long ways. Let me know what you find out in regards to Origin games and the Steam overlay and I will try to look into it if I can.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Lahma said:

Trying to keep the plugin updated to work with all of these various launchers and their unique problems (especially when most of them are going out of their way to make 3rd party overlays not function with their launcher/games) is honestly something that I am probably just not going to be able to keep up with. In nearly all instances, there are workarounds and solutions you can implement if YOU decide that it is worth investing the time and effort to learn what these are and how to apply them. However, given that I have spent many, many hundreds of hours developing this plugin by myself, in my free time, without so much as asking for a single donation, I hope you will forgive me when I admit that I'm probably just not up to investing the extra effort into keeping up with unique intricacies of each publisher's launcher and battling against their constant efforts to keep 3rd party overlays from working.

I may make exceptions to this in some instances but it will probably require some help and effort on your part as well. Instead of just saying that "so and so" launcher doesn't work, you might 1st check if manually adding a non-Steam shortcut to Steam with one of their games works in the 1st place. If it does, then perhaps it is an issue that I might be able to look into and fix. If it doesn't, then this is likely not something I am going to be able to implement at the end of the day, as all this plugin does is to create a temporary non-Steam shortcut in a way that is convenient and transparent to the user. Any additional information, debug logs, or notes you are able to provide me can go a long way in getting a problem fixed. It makes me very happy to be able to share the efforts of all my work with all of you but at the end of the day, if you really want an issue that is important to you fixed, putting in just a little time yourself to investigate the issue and provide me with a little bit of background may be the difference between the problem remaining in limbo and the problem getting fixed.

With all of that being said, perhaps you might be willing to look into whether or not Origin games in general work with the Steam overlay? If not, probably the only solution is going to be something such as GlosC as others have mentioned in reference to UWP/Window Store games. Sorry if my response was a little more direct than usual but I have been very busy and stressed out with work stuff lately and I just haven't had nearly as much time to dedicate to the plugin as I would like. The point of my response was just to indicate that any help I could get from any of you that would make it quicker/easier for me to fix issues (that are fixable) would really go a long ways. Let me know what you find out in regards to Origin games and the Steam overlay and I will try to look into it if I can.

That makes perfect sense honestly.  I wonder if we should compile a list of easy work arounds.  For instance Origin you just have to manually point LB at the EXE and it seems to work.

On 6/2/2021 at 5:42 PM, mrdead said:

That makes perfect sense honestly.  I wonder if we should compile a list of easy work arounds.  For instance Origin you just have to manually point LB at the EXE and it seems to work.

@mrdead Did you add the Origin game to LB via the "Origin Games" importer?

image.thumb.png.3e55449d61ceb60bde98e734ccd1a571.png

I've personally never used that feature myself (along with many of the other game/launcher importers) so I would have to look into it further to see exactly how it works. If Origin game shortcuts use some type of a custom, non-standard launcher (kind of like how Steam uses a custom 'steam://' URL handler to launch its own game shortcuts [steam://rungameid/XXXXXX]; Battle.net does this as well [battlenet://WoW]), they are definitely not going to work with SteamLauncher unless specific custom code is implemented which can identify when an Origin game is being launched and how to handle it.

Based on the screenshot you posted of the error dialog, it looks like the Origin launcher might be doing just that (using some type of custom URL handler, similar to Steam). The error says, "Windows cannot find 'D:\Games\LaunchBox\origin:\Origin.OFR.50.0002537'. [...]". Being that the path in that error has a colon in it (origin:), which is an illegal character in Windows file paths, it looks like SteamLauncher is likely trying to assemble a file path as best as it can from a URL format which it doesn't understand. If I had to guess, I would say that Origin games use some type of URL such as 'origin://Origin.OFR.XX.XXXXXXX'. That is just a guess though.. without looking into it further, I can't say for sure. Regardless, even if I'm not able to implement a custom handler for Origin URLs, I should definitely implement code which detects when a game is being launched using a URL format that SteamLauncher does not recognize and provide a more useful, descriptive error to the user.

I'm definitely not saying that implementing a custom handler for Origin games is out of the question (I'll have to look into it further before committing one way or another) but if I do decide to do it, it likely won't be until after I implement specific handlers for the GOG and Epic Games launchers. If you have any Origin games on your PC, could you look at the properties for one of those game's shortcuts (a shortcut that was created automatically by the game's installer, either on your desktop or start menu) and send me a screenshot of the properties dialog along with the contents of any textboxes in said dialog? Examples:

image.thumb.png.acbbe380027d8d958d7c527d7be6fcc8.png

Target: "C:\Program Files (x86)\GOG Galaxy\GalaxyClient.exe" /command=runGame /gameId=1423049311 /path="C:\PC_Games\GOG\Cyberpunk 2077"
Start in: "C:\Program Files (x86)\GOG Galaxy"

OR

image.thumb.png.9ff1c09dc8e7fdadc06e9adf73bfa3dd.png

URL: steam://rungameid/1286830

image.png