LaunchBox Community Forums

Hey guys, here is a very temporary alpha that has BigBox working. I wanted to try to get some more stuff implemented before a public release, but I don't want to keep y'all waiting any longer. This should work fine until I'm able to get a more complete release out the door. Let me know if you have any problems. The Settings UI is still incomplete but it is functional.

https://bit.ly/35uOg0a

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lahma said:

Thanks for the feedback @JedExodus. Could you give me a little more info on what you mean by "stopped working after a while"? I've implemented specific support in the plugin for shortcut files (.lnk) so if there is some type of bug that is causing them not to work, I'd like to fix it asap. The LB "Import Windows Games" utility adds games to your LB library using shortcut files so I suspect a lot of people have games in their library that point to .lnk (shortcut) files. I will do some quick testing and see if I can't figure out what the issue is myself. Again, thanks for the report.

It refused to launch and SteamLauncher timed out. I suspect this to be a Steam issue introduced in an update as editing the shortcut Steam Launcher make manually to point to to the EXE instead of the lnk and launching from there gave me the same result. It also worked perfectly fine before then stopped working very suddenly.

Cant quite remember the option titles, but steam has the launch target and launch in. When either adding the EXE from scratch manually or changing the root folder in LB game options this fixes the issue. As they then both point to the folder with the EXE in it. Its worked fine for me ever since. 

Using LB normally this doesn't present any issues and the game launches fine, but in tandem with SteamLauncher it seems its necessary to do a bit of tweaking. 

As I say the issue is present using Steam as well, and I can't speak to it happening on any other titles for me. But there you have it. Just something for folks to keep in mind if launching games through a shortcut and they timeout. 

EDIT: Just noticed the Alpha thanks very kindly @Lahma will give it a whirl. Thank you very much 

Edited by JedExodus

9 hours ago, JedExodus said:

It refused to launch and SteamLauncher timed out. I suspect this to be a Steam issue introduced in an update as editing the shortcut Steam Launcher make manually to point to to the EXE instead of the lnk and launching from there gave me the same result. It also worked perfectly fine before then stopped working very suddenly.

Cant quite remember the option titles, but steam has the launch target and launch in. When either adding the EXE from scratch manually or changing the root folder in LB game options this fixes the issue. As they then both point to the folder with the EXE in it. Its worked fine for me ever since. 

Using LB normally this doesn't present any issues and the game launches fine, but in tandem with SteamLauncher it seems its necessary to do a bit of tweaking. 

As I say the issue is present using Steam as well, and I can't speak to it happening on any other titles for me. But there you have it. Just something for folks to keep in mind if launching games through a shortcut and they timeout. 

EDIT: Just noticed the Alpha thanks very kindly @Lahma will give it a whirl. Thank you very much 

Hey @JedExodus, thanks for the additional info. Ya, it must be something that changed relatively recently because some of my PC games in LaunchBox point to a .LNK file (rather than an EXE) and I played some of them recently while using the plugin. I'll check it today and let you know what I find out.

Edited by Lahma
split into 2 separate posts

For anyone who has tried the new alpha I just posted, please let me know if everything is working for you in regards to the core functionality and in particular the startup/shutdown screens. Actually, let me be a bit more clear what I mean in regards to the startup/shutdown screens: if something about the startup/shutdown screens bothers you (such as the desktop/LB window being shown briefly after the startup screen or before the shutdown screen), manually add that game or emulator/rom to Steam as a non-Steam shortcut and then temporarily change that game's launcher path in LB to the Steam game URL (ex: steam://rungameid/14363840998436503552). After doing that, run the game through LB/BB and see how the startup/shutdown screens perform that way (the plugin is automatically disabled for any LB games that use the Steam url format so this will show you how LB/BB handles it natively) and if the plugin doesn't perform just as well or better (I've noticed that LB/BB doesn't show the shutdown screen when launching Steam games natively... the plugin works around this however), please report the issue here including the game/emulator info, and the plugin behavior vs LB/BB behavior.

Oh and I gotta say once again that I really appreciate all of you being patient with me on releases, especially when such major things are broken such as BigBox not working at all. I really shouldn't have taken anywhere near as much time as I did issuing a fix for that but again, it was a direct result of LB/BB transitioning to .NET Core and the enormous multitude of problems that brought with it. Literally all of the development work I've put into the plugin since the transition to .NET Core has been related solely to that issue. I think I've just about caught up with that now though and I'm going to finish up with the Settings UI and a few feature requests made by users and try to get the 1.0 release pushed out (which entails its own long list of things such as completely overhauling the LB plugin download page [and utilizing the badass new plugin icon contributed by @ChippiHeppu-haven't forgotten about you man ?], the plugin documentation, my Github, etc). So ya... that is my long winded way of saying sorry for the slow progress. All I can say is that it hasn't been a result of not spending time on development..

Here is a link to the newest plugin alpha again:
https://bit.ly/35uOg0a

Edited by Lahma
  • Like 1

@JedExodus, I just took a quick look at the issue with shortcuts and the only 'problem' appears to be related to the game's 'Root Folder' setting in the LB game properties. Essentially, if the root folder is set to the folder that the shortcut is in instead of the game's directory, this is going to cause problems with the vast majority of games. I remember when I initially implemented support for shortcut (.LNK) files, I was a bit torn on how to handle this as whenever LB is importing games via a .LNK shortcut file, it (incorrectly, in my opinion.. unless I'm misunderstanding their logic)  sets the root folder to the directory of the shortcut file (instead of the directory set as the 'Start in' folder on the shortcut or just the directory of the game/emu exe itself).

By overriding the 'Root Folder' as set in LB (and instead setting the 'Start in' directory of the non-Steam shortcut to the game directory itself), my plugin is taking control away from the user by preventing them from being able to change this if they have a good reason to.. but if I don't override this behavior, then anyone whose used the LB game importer and therefore has games in LB that point to .LNK files are going to have problems. For this reason, I thought I had gone ahead and just decided to ignore LB's 'Root Folder' setting on any games that pointed to .LNK files, but it appears that I either didn't do that (seems unlikely since this problem appears to be coming up only now) or I changed something in the code since the transition to .NET Core that altered the way this works (more likely... though I can't remember touching any part of that code).

You can double check that this indeed the problem on your machine by changing the 'Root Folder' setting on one of your games in LB to the directory of the game EXE (instead of the directory of the shortcut). I assume that is your issue though (let me know otherwise). I will go ahead and make the plugin ignore the root folder setting for games that point to .LNK files though as that is the only real path forward that I can see. I'll try to post a fixed alpha build here shortly with that change.

Edit: Well... forget what I said about trying to change the 'Root Folder' of the game to double check that that is your issue.. Surprisingly, LB appears to not allow you to change directory... When you modify it, a msgbox pops up saying something about '[...] ROM file path is not located within the game's root folder[...]' and if you click 'Yes', it changes the path back to what it was already set to, and if you click 'No', it closes the msgbox without modifying the path, but it doesn't close the game's properties dialog... So you have to click 'Ok' on the game's properties dialog which starts the whole process over. So ya, that is definitely broken... If someone tries this and understands what I'm saying and has time to report it to @Jason Carr or the LB devs in general, that would probably be really useful. If not, I'll try to make a bug report whenever I have some time.

Edited by Lahma

For @JedExodus and anyone else, here is a new alpha with the Windows shortcut (.LNK) file problem fixed. The plugin now ignores the 'Root Folder' setting in a game's properties whenever its target executable points to a .LNK file. Instead, it uses the 'Start in' path of the shortcut file. Let me know if this fixes your problem Jed.

SteamLauncher Alpha v0.9.7.3
http://bit.ly/SLv0973

@Lahma I was gonna let you know on Steam but figured I'd post here first regarding the startup/shutdown screens. They work great but as mentioned above it just shows the desktop/Steam window loading the game. Anyway around this? I know you posted above adding the game to Steam itself then change the path to the id. Just wondering if there was another way around it? I guess I just like to hide anything Windows/desktop related if that makes sense when launching my games :)

6 minutes ago, The_Keeper86 said:

@Lahma I was gonna let you know on Steam but figured I'd post here first regarding the startup/shutdown screens. They work great but as mentioned above it just shows the desktop/Steam window loading the game. Anyway around this? I know you posted above adding the game to Steam itself then change the path to the id. Just wondering if there was another way around it? I guess I just like to hide anything Windows/desktop related if that makes sense when launching my games :)

I wasn't suggesting to add the game to Steam manually as a workaround.. I was suggesting you use that as a way to test what LB does whenever the plugin isn't being used so you can figure out if the problem/fault lies with the plugin or with the way LaunchBox is doing things. So without that out of the way.. Are you suggesting that the Steam window shows over the top of the startup screen or are you talking about the little Steam dialog box that pops up that informs you of the game its launching? In every game/emulator I've tested on the newest alpha, the main Steam window is remaining hidden behind LB and the game startup/shutdown screen.. The only window that I've had show over the top of the startup screen is the Steam 'game launching' dialog and that only happens sometimes... Even on the same game/emu its happening some launches and others its not. Please let me know what you're seeing.

The big problem with getting the window focus/z-order right is that I am fighting with LB itself who is also trying to manage that stuff simultaneously. I've spent probably 15-20 hours trying to come up with a combination of win32 API calls that handle all of this elegantly across all titles but I've not yet found any perfect solution. I definitely do plan on continuing to work on this problem though as I'm sure there is a much better solution (or more likely a combination of solutions). The little Steam 'game launching' dialog is a real bastard though as it does not run as a child window of the main Steam window like practically every other dialog window does which actually gives it significantly more leverage to do what it wants regardless of your application's insistence that it should not. It should respect the Win32 API call to 'LockSetForegroundWindow' but so far in my testing, it appears not to. Anyways, I won't ramble on about the technicalities but ya, I am still working on it. Please let me know what behavior you're seeing (as addressed in the 1st paragraph).

17 hours ago, Lahma said:

I wasn't suggesting to add the game to Steam manually as a workaround.. I was suggesting you use that as a way to test what LB does whenever the plugin isn't being used so you can figure out if the problem/fault lies with the plugin or with the way LaunchBox is doing things. So without that out of the way.. Are you suggesting that the Steam window shows over the top of the startup screen or are you talking about the little Steam dialog box that pops up that informs you of the game its launching? In every game/emulator I've tested on the newest alpha, the main Steam window is remaining hidden behind LB and the game startup/shutdown screen.. The only window that I've had show over the top of the startup screen is the Steam 'game launching' dialog and that only happens sometimes... Even on the same game/emu its happening some launches and others its not. Please let me know what you're seeing.

The big problem with getting the window focus/z-order right is that I am fighting with LB itself who is also trying to manage that stuff simultaneously. I've spent probably 15-20 hours trying to come up with a combination of win32 API calls that handle all of this elegantly across all titles but I've not yet found any perfect solution. I definitely do plan on continuing to work on this problem though as I'm sure there is a much better solution (or more likely a combination of solutions). The little Steam 'game launching' dialog is a real bastard though as it does not run as a child window of the main Steam window like practically every other dialog window does which actually gives it significantly more leverage to do what it wants regardless of your application's insistence that it should not. It should respect the Win32 API call to 'LockSetForegroundWindow' but so far in my testing, it appears not to. Anyways, I won't ramble on about the technicalities but ya, I am still working on it. Please let me know what behavior you're seeing (as addressed in the 1st paragraph).

My bad I should've been more clear. It was the Steam dialog window I was referring to popping up. It isn't a huge deal since everything is working fine so far in BB. I'm wondering if any of the startup screen override settings would help hide it?

23 hours ago, Lahma said:

For anyone who has tried the new alpha I just posted, please let me know if everything is working for you in regards to the core functionality and in particular the startup/shutdown screens.

So I'm not 100% sure what's going on, but this seems to make my antivirus (bitdefender) think that launchbox itself is a virus? It will work fine, I can launch a game etc. Then once Big Box is exited it can't be launched again. Deleting the SteamLauncher plugin doesn't help and I have to reinstall launchbox. Happy to provide more info if you need it.

56 minutes ago, Corgana said:

So I'm not 100% sure what's going on, but this seems to make my antivirus (bitdefender) think that launchbox itself is a virus? It will work fine, I can launch a game etc. Then once Big Box is exited it can't be launched again. Deleting the SteamLauncher plugin doesn't help and I have to reinstall launchbox. Happy to provide more info if you need it.

Lol, thats a pretty strange one man... The only thing that I could even conceive of that might cause a (very overzealous) antivirus to say such nonsense is possibly the fact that my plugin hooks into the Steam process to call some undocumented API functions. If I had to guess, the reason you're having to reinstall LB to get it working again is it is probably deleting/quarantining one of the LaunchBox exe and/or dll files inside the "LaunchBox\Core" directory. If your antivirus is deleting ANY file without your permission, I think you need to look for a new antivirus product. If it is just quarantining the file, you should be able to look at your list of quarantined files and simply remove them. I would definitely suggest you follow the instructions below and add the exceptions prior to trying to remove anything from quarantine though as it might just immediately re-detect it if you don't.

To fix the problem, this is what I would suggest.First, if you can, just add the entire "LaunchBox" folder to your exceptions list (the list that says, 'Don't monitor/scan/detect these files'). If you can't add the entire folder, add these specific files (prob all these aren't needed.. I'm just ensuring we cover all bases) to your exceptions list (if your antivirus doesn't allow you to add .dll files, just ignore those):

• LaunchBox\LaunchBox.exe
  • LaunchBox\BigBox.exe
  • LaunchBox\Core\LaunchBox.exe
  • LaunchBox\Core\LaunchBox.dll
  • LaunchBox\Core\BigBox.exe
  • LaunchBox\Core\BigBox.dll
  • LaunchBox\Core\Unbroken.dll
  • LaunchBox\Core\Unbroken.LaunchBox.dll
  • LaunchBox\Core\Unbroken.LaunchBox.Plugins.dll
  • LaunchBox\Core\Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.dll
  • LaunchBox\Core\runtimes\win\lib\netcoreapp2.0\System.Management.dll
  • LaunchBox\Plugins\SteamLauncher\SteamLauncher.dll
  • LaunchBox\Plugins\SteamLauncher\SteamLauncherProxy.exe

Once you've done that, you shouldn't have any more issues. Next time you have to pay for to "resubscribe" to your Antivirus (or whatever you call it), I would highly suggest reading up on the effectiveness of Windows Defender (Windows 10 built-in antivirus) as I think most honest publications would rate it amongst its top paid competitors (just 1 random article I pulled from Google: https://www.techradar.com/reviews/windows-defender ). Obviously, its none of my business what antivirus product you choose though. Just a suggestion! Let me know if this fixed your problem. If not, I'd be happy to continue helping you out until we figure out a solution.

Edited by Lahma

@LahmaThanks very much for looking in to it. I haven't had a chance to test the new release as yet but have every confidence in it.

I curiously enough was able to change the root folder on my LB configuration. But this may be because the. exe was in a subdirectory with the lnk being in the main directory. Will play about with it when I get a chance and report back and raise an issue. Thanks again for all the hard work. The plugin is a real life saver

@Lahma I thought I'd let you know, I tried it on a new machine with no antivirus and it worked fine. The only concerning thing is that startup times were pretty long. Without Steamlauncher enabled most games took a few seconds to start up. I had actually initially thought SteamLauncher was broken because I would select a game, it would display the "loading" screen for ~6 seconds, give me the "game over" and go back to the games list, but THEN after a few more seconds on the games list it would eventually start up. I'm not sure if it's something to do with Launchbox, SteamLauncher or Steam itself but I thought you'd like to know.

Regardless I'm very happy to see this working again with Big Box, and looking forward to seeing the finished release!

Also another note: I noticed if Steam was in "Big Picture Mode" before launching, the plugin wouldn't work at all. Steam had to be in Desktop mode prior to launching (the game would eventually launch w the Big Picture Mode overlay) but for a while I thought it was still not working because I had steam in Big Picture mode.

8 minutes ago, Corgana said:

@Lahma I thought I'd let you know, I tried it on a new machine with no antivirus and it worked fine. The only concerning thing is that startup times were pretty long. Without Steamlauncher enabled most games took a few seconds to start up. I had actually initially thought SteamLauncher was broken because I would select a game, it would display the "loading" screen for ~6 seconds, give me the "game over" and go back to the games list, but THEN after a few more seconds on the games list it would eventually start up. I'm not sure if it's something to do with Launchbox, SteamLauncher or Steam itself but I thought you'd like to know.

Regardless I'm very happy to see this working again with Big Box, and looking forward to seeing the finished release!

Also another note: I noticed if Steam was in "Big Picture Mode" before launching, the plugin wouldn't work at all. Steam had to be in Desktop mode prior to launching (the game would eventually launch w the Big Picture Mode overlay) but for a while I thought it was still not working because I had steam in Big Picture mode.

The behavior you're describing (in your 1st paragraph) is definitely not normal. Your experience while using the plugin should be very similar to your experience while using LB/BB without the plugin. When you start a game through LB/BB, you should see the startup screen for a couple of sec, possibly a Steam 'Game Starting' dialog box for a split sec, and then the game window. After you exit the game, you should see the LB/BB window for like 1/8 of a sec before the shutdown screen takes focus (and the shutdown screen should only display for a sec or 2), and then the LB/BB window should regain focus after the shutdown screen closes.

Without more information, there isn't a whole lot I can suggest you try in order to fix your problem. What are the general specs of your PC? Are you running the licensed version of LB/BB? Do you have startup/shutdown screens enabled? Are any of your LB startup/shutdown screen settings set to custom/non-default values? What emulators/games have you tried and do they all act the same way (in regards to the plugin/steam/startup-shutdown screens)?

I just did a screen capture of Retroarch being launched via the plugin on my machine just so you can see what the process looks like on my machine. See the video attached to this post. Keep in mind that running any non-Steam shortcut adds a couple of extra seconds on top of what it would normally take to launch any game. In addition to that, the plugin is having to launch its own proxy process, setup a process monitoring routine, and it has to battle with LaunchBox/BigBox over window focus and z-order which probably adds at least another second or so on top of the normal game launching process. Until LaunchBox adds proper game launching hooks/callbacks/hijacking into the plugin API, there is virtually nothing I can do to speed up this process as I am essentially having to trick LaunchBox into launching a replacement executable when it does not support such functionality.

Moving onto the topic of Steam Big Picture mode... You cannot use Steam Big Picture mode to launch LaunchBox/BigBox and then use SteamLauncher to launch a game via Steam. At that point, you are basically telling Steam to hook LaunchBox/BigBox, and then when you launch a game via LB/BB (using SteamLauncher), an already hooked process is trying to call back out to an external process to start another Steam game that Steam would have to hook... Suffice it to say this quickly becomes a wormhole of recursion weirdness that simply isn't going to work. The entire point of the plugin is to bypass the need for running in Steam Big Picture mode and/or having to create individual non-Steam shortcuts for every game and emulator/rom combination.

So ya, please give me some more details/info as I requested in my 2nd paragraph and I'll try to figure out what is going on and how we can fix it. Also, if anyone else is seeing this behavior, please let me know. My expectation is that there are going to be some games/emulators that are going to cause wonky issues with the startup/shutdown screens (just like there are many games/emulators that cause the startup/shutdown screens to not work properly when using just LB/BB without the plugin [hence the reason I said in my previous post to try a game/emu without the plugin active to see how it performs vs when the plugin IS active]) but if you're seeing this behavior across all games/emulators then there is clearly a bigger issue at play. Thanks for the report.

On 10/30/2020 at 12:02 AM, Lahma said:

The behavior you're describing (in your 1st paragraph) is definitely not normal. Your experience while using the plugin should be very similar to your experience while using LB/BB without the plugin. When you start a game through LB/BB, you should see the startup screen for a couple of sec, possibly a Steam 'Game Starting' dialog box for a split sec, and then the game window. After you exit the game, you should see the LB/BB window for like 1/8 of a sec before the shutdown screen takes focus (and the shutdown screen should only display for a sec or 2), and then the LB/BB window should regain focus after the shutdown screen closes.

Without more information, there isn't a whole lot I can suggest you try in order to fix your problem. What are the general specs of your PC? Are you running the licensed version of LB/BB? Do you have startup/shutdown screens enabled? Are any of your LB startup/shutdown screen settings set to custom/non-default values? What emulators/games have you tried and do they all act the same way (in regards to the plugin/steam/startup-shutdown screens)?

I just did a screen capture of Retroarch being launched via the plugin on my machine just so you can see what the process looks like on my machine. See the video attached to this post. Keep in mind that running any non-Steam shortcut adds a couple of extra seconds on top of what it would normally take to launch any game. In addition to that, the plugin is having to launch its own proxy process, setup a process monitoring routine, and it has to battle with LaunchBox/BigBox over window focus and z-order which probably adds at least another second or so on top of the normal game launching process. Until LaunchBox adds proper game launching hooks/callbacks/hijacking into the plugin API, there is virtually nothing I can do to speed up this process as I am essentially having to trick LaunchBox into launching a replacement executable when it does not support such functionality.

Moving onto the topic of Steam Big Picture mode... You cannot use Steam Big Picture mode to launch LaunchBox/BigBox and then use SteamLauncher to launch a game via Steam. At that point, you are basically telling Steam to hook LaunchBox/BigBox, and then when you launch a game via LB/BB (using SteamLauncher), an already hooked process is trying to call back out to an external process to start another Steam game that Steam would have to hook... Suffice it to say this quickly becomes a wormhole of recursion weirdness that simply isn't going to work. The entire point of the plugin is to bypass the need for running in Steam Big Picture mode and/or having to create individual non-Steam shortcuts for every game and emulator/rom combination.

So ya, please give me some more details/info as I requested in my 2nd paragraph and I'll try to figure out what is going on and how we can fix it. Also, if anyone else is seeing this behavior, please let me know. My expectation is that there are going to be some games/emulators that are going to cause wonky issues with the startup/shutdown screens (just like there are many games/emulators that cause the startup/shutdown screens to not work properly when using just LB/BB without the plugin [hence the reason I said in my previous post to try a game/emu without the plugin active to see how it performs vs when the plugin IS active]) but if you're seeing this behavior across all games/emulators then there is clearly a bigger issue at play. Thanks for the report.

Thanks for the response, I did a clean install and it's sort of working. The game over screen no longer appears, but I do get a visible steam loading window for a few seconds and it flashes back briefly to the game selection screen before ultimately launching the game. Definitely not as fluid a transition as your helpful video. My PC is an AsRock Deskmini A300 with a Ryzen 3400g w/ lifetime Launchbox license. Startup and shutdown screens enabled. Retroarch is the only emulator I've tested so far but I will try to expand on that and get you a video as well shortly if I can't figure it out myself.

Big Box → Launchbox Loading screen → Steam pop up loading window → Big Box game selection screen (1-2 sec) → Brief black screen → Retroarch loads

*Also to clarify- when I said SteamLauncher wouldn't work if Steam was in Big Picture Mode, I wasn't talking about launching LB from Steam and then launching a game. If you minimize Steam while it's in big picture mode then open Big Box and try to launch a game the plugin simply does nothing and the game won't load. I have to switch Steam to desktop mode before using BigBox. This won't be a major issue for my final setup but I thought others might want to know because I couldn't figure out why it wasn't working (because currently Steam defaults to big picture mode for me).

13 hours ago, xsessive182 said:

Added the plugin but it crashes my launchbox upon clicking  launch with steam on any game =/

Any ideas what is causing it?

Are you using this release?

SteamLauncher Alpha v0.9.7.3
http://bit.ly/SLv0973

The plugin on the download page is outdated but this alpha version should work fine. Be aware that with the new version, you no longer right click a game and click "Launch via Steam" (I actually finally removed that option in the most recent alpha). Now, when the plugin is enabled, you simply launch any game as you normally would (when using LB/BB without the plugin) and it will be launched through Steam.

To enable the plugin, you would normally click the "Tools" menu item in LB, then ensure that the "Use SteamLauncher" menu item is labeled "Use SteamLauncher (ON)". Again, normally, if it was labeled "Use SteamLauncher (OFF)", then clicking that menu item would enable the plugin. The reason I say normally is because I was notified by a user that this menu item is no longer actually toggling the plugin ON/OFF status in the config file. Like everything else in recent weeks, this is again due to some changes made when LaunchBox transitioned to the .NET Core framework. It was a quick and easy fix though so it is fixed and will be available in the next alpha (which I'm going to post today). For now however, you can enable/disable the plugin by opening the settings UI (Tools -> SteamLauncher Settings) and checking/unchecking the 'Enable SteamLauncher' checkbox and then clicking the 'Save' button.

If you were already using this release or it did not fix your problem, please shoot me a msg on Steam and I'll help you figure out what the problem is. My Steam alias is lahma0. You can click on my alias to open my Steam profile to add me as a friend, or you can copy/paste the following URL into your address bar:
steam://friends/add/76561198237461630

• Like 1