LaunchBox Community Forums

On 3/6/2021 at 8:33 AM, Lahma said:

I'm really sorry about not getting back to you yet man.. I've had a LOT going on the past few weeks. The pastebin URL did indeed expire. I do want to look into your issue further though. Unfortunately, it looks like there may be a bigger issue going on with the plugin at the moment. Literally discovered it right this minute. Looks like a recent Steam update might have broken something. I'm looking into it as I type this so let me figure that out first and then we'll come back to your issue.

Hey, glad to hear you are back!

I've created a new Pastebin link (permanent this time) in case you would like to look at the debug log again.

The link is: https://pastebin.com/0AQmKz4q

As for the main issue you've described, I have not encountered it as of yet as SteamLauncher is still working properly for me.

My Steam Client version is as follows:

• Built: 12 Feb 2021
  • Steam API: v020
  • Steam package versions: 1613176728

@Carl Cross

FYI, I have tested Yuzu on my end and my SteamLauncher works just fine (Steam overlay opens up in Yuzu).

Edited by Aetavicus

• 3 weeks later...

Hello people!
I'm getting these error on debug.log file:
2021-03-23 11:53:40 [Error] [SteamContext] [InitClientShortcutsInterface] - Failed to retrieve a valid ClientShortcuts interface address. Aborting initialization.
2021-03-23 11:53:40 [Error] [GameLaunchingPlugin] [OnAfterGameLaunched] - An error occurred while creating/launching the Steam shortcut: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Of course I checked because it's not working SteamLauncherProxy properly, but it was working yesterday. I've been fiddling around with EPIC login as it's not working for me anymore, but it shouldn't mess with SteamLauncherProxy, I guess.

My Steam Client version is as follows:

• Built: 22 Mar 2021
  • Steam API: v020
  • Steam package versions: 1616449816

Any clue? 
Thanks in advance.

Hey guys, sorry I haven't responded to the recent posts. I've been out of the country for over a week and just got home. I am working on posting a new update which will fix the problem with the beta Steam client and I will respond to the recent posts just as soon as I can. Thanks for your patience.

• Like 1

@Metrasher and @Aetavicus, are you using the beta version of Steam? If so, please note the post a made a page or 2 back about there being a problem with the newest Steam beta release. As I stated in my last post, I am working on a new update right now which will fix that issue but in the meantime you can simply revert back to the non-beta Steam client in order to fix the issue. Like I said, I've been out of the country for over a week and I am just now getting back into the swing of things. Perhaps the issue that caused the Steam beta to break has now been integrated into the mainline release. If that is the case, I apologize and the new update will definitely fix both versions. Please let me know if y'all are using the Steam beta and if you are, if reverting back to the non-beta version fixed your issue. Thanks.

Edited by Lahma

No, I'm using main Steam version. I guess it's what you said, that the beta you were talking about has been integrated to main version, as I had an update yesterday.

However, don't worry, I'm fine knowing that you know and that it's not my problem.

I had a problem with login to Epic and was fiddling around with Launchbox, so I was worried about having broken something.

So now I'm ok. Don't worry, take your time.

And welcome home ?

• Like 1

Ya, sounds like the beta changes probably got implemented into the mainline release. I have been so busy since I got home that I have not even got a chance to try to open LB to check it. Rest assured, I'm aware of the problem and I will be releasing an update to fix the issue ASAP.

• Thanks 4

Hi people. Steam Launcher just isn't working anymore and I'm not sure why. I try to start a game and nothing comes up. If I disable Steam Launcher then the game works.  I know steam updated recently so does that mean it broke the plugin? I also see a post about problems with the Beta Version of Steam but I don't have that. I'm pretty sure mine is just the regular thing. Any help? 

22 minutes ago, rfj831@gmail.com said:

Hi people. Steam Launcher just isn't working anymore and I'm not sure why. I try to start a game and nothing comes up. If I disable Steam Launcher then the game works.  I know steam updated recently so does that mean it broke the plugin? I also see a post about problems with the Beta Version of Steam but I don't have that. I'm pretty sure mine is just the regular thing. Any help? 

Sorry never mind. I now see the other posts about this. I just hope it can be fixed.

Just want to say thank you for this and for all the work! This is a feature I didn't know I needed and now I'm not sure how I lived without it. It's great for modded PC games oddly enough, allowing me to map controls using steam onto games which don't work reliably (or at all) when using the traditional method of importing them to steam as a non steam game, and also easily mapping old computer systems I emulate on the fly.

You're awesome.

Edited by fromlostdays
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/27/2021 at 6:36 PM, fromlostdays said:

Just want to say thank you for this and for all the work! This is a feature I didn't know I needed and now I'm not sure how I lived without it. It's great for modded PC games oddly enough, allowing me to map controls using steam onto games which don't work reliably (or at all) when using the traditional method of importing them to steam as a non steam game, and also easily mapping old computer systems I emulate on the fly.

You're awesome.

Hey @fromlostdays, thank you so much for the kind words... really. It means so much to me to hear from users like you and it really makes the many hundreds of hours (if not more) I've put into this plugin's development worth all the work. Regardless of my plugin, I really think if more people were aware of Steam controller configuration and the enormous possibilities it provides, I think it would have a MUCH larger following. There is simply nothing else like it... not even close. Obviously, I thought it was so impressive and useful that I dedicated a large portion of my time to making a plugin that makes it more convenient and easy to use (at least for LB users.. although I would like to extend its functionality to be more generalized at some point if possible). So ya, thanks for your thanks. It always makes it easier to keep working on the project when I know there are people that find its use indispensable and are relying on me to maintain it and keep it working.

In addition to that, I just wanted to provide an update on why I wasn't able to release the update yesterday. Valve made some pretty significant changes in 'steamclient.dll' which essentially completely broke the algorithm (if you can even call it that) I was using to locate the correct vtable offsets for certain undocumented/unexported functions needed for the plugin to operate. The method I was using lasted for a long time so I would say it was worth the effort I put into it but I'm going to need to develop something probably a bit more complicated in order to prevent situations like this from happening in the future. However, I'm implementing a temporary workaround, which should work fine in the meantime, until that is finished. Basically, I'm going to allow the 2 troublesome vtable offsets to be manually defined in the config file (can also be modified via the GUI). In this way, if the offsets change in the near future before I can implement this new method, I can provide an update in both the support thread and the plugin download page with these 2 new offset values and they can be easily changed by the user. I'm working hard on getting this update pushed out so stay tuned to the support thread. Shouldn't be too long. Thanks again for everyone's patience.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Unusual Gem 1

14 hours ago, Lahma said:

Hey @fromlostdays, thank you so much for the kind words... really. It means so much to me to hear from users like you and it really makes the many hundreds of hours (if not more) I've put into this plugin's development worth all the work. Regardless of my plugin, I really think if more people were aware of Steam controller configuration and the enormous possibilities it provides, I think it would have a MUCH larger following. There is simply nothing else like it... not even close. Obviously, I thought it was so impressive and useful that I dedicated a large portion of my time to making a plugin that makes it more convenient and easy to use (at least for LB users.. although I would like to extend its functionality to be more generalized at some point if possible). So ya, thanks for your thanks. It always makes it easier to keep working on the project when I know there are people that find its use indispensable and are relying on me to maintain it and keep it working.

In addition to that, I just wanted to provide an update on why I wasn't able to release the update yesterday. Valve made some pretty significant changes in 'steamclient.dll' which essentially completely broke the algorithm (if you can even call it that) I was using to locate the correct vtable offsets for certain undocumented/unexported functions needed for the plugin to operate. The method I was using lasted for a long time so I would say it was worth the effort I put into it but I'm going to need to develop something probably a bit more complicated in order to prevent situations like this from happening in the future. However, I'm implementing a temporary workaround, which should work fine in the meantime, until that is finished. Basically, I'm going to allow the 2 troublesome vtable offsets to be manually defined in the config file (can also be modified via the GUI). In this way, if the offsets change in the near future before I can implement this new method, I can provide an update in both the support thread and the plugin download page with these 2 new offset values and they can be easily changed by the user. I'm working hard on getting this update pushed out so stay tuned to the support thread. Shouldn't be too long. Thanks again for everyone's patience.

Thanks man, Valve seem to enjoy making life difficult for you. As an end user the only tangible differences the updates to Steam I notice are that they break the plugin! 

I'm convinced as well the plugin would have a bigger following of lore aware of it. That or we're all just a bit kooky in this thread! 

• Haha 1

Don't kill yourself over it! haha. Everyone can wait. But do know that its appreciated, at least. :)

In terms of the Steam Controller Support itself... I myself have a historic love of controllers (I never really got the hang of KB/Mouse but more importantly my computer is hooked directly to my living room TV and I play on the couch.... I have 10 years behind me of using EVERY available method of wrapping and keymapping to try and make things work. Steam demolishes all of them. It's not even close. Radial menu, MOUSE REGIONS (I saw a video the other day of someone using steam mapping to play league of legends on a controller) and just yesterday I bought and set up a Real Time Strategy game called They are Billions and played it with a controller with no trouble. It is a bit of learning curve as even with all the many keymappers I have under my belt, it STILL has features I don't know about. So yeah, I agree, its underrated.   

19 hours ago, fromlostdays said:

Don't kill yourself over it! haha. Everyone can wait. But do know that its appreciated, at least. :)

In terms of the Steam Controller Support itself... I myself have a historic love of controllers (I never really got the hang of KB/Mouse but more importantly my computer is hooked directly to my living room TV and I play on the couch.... I have 10 years behind me of using EVERY available method of wrapping and keymapping to try and make things work. Steam demolishes all of them. It's not even close. Radial menu, MOUSE REGIONS (I saw a video the other day of someone using steam mapping to play league of legends on a controller) and just yesterday I bought and set up a Real Time Strategy game called They are Billions and played it with a controller with no trouble. It is a bit of learning curve as even with all the many keymappers I have under my belt, it STILL has features I don't know about. So yeah, I agree, its underrated.   

Do you ever find yourself having more fun messing with setting up the controller configs/profiles than playing the actual game? Not saying that has ever happened to me or anything... but I did hear that from a "friend" once. Weird guy... ?

Getting close to finished with the update now. I've finished all of the code related to implementing user supplied vtable offset values including all of the GUI stuff and config-side stuff. I've also implemented an auto-updater feature for automatically retrieving the vtable offsets from an online db I setup. That way, until I develop a better way of retrieving these values in an automated fashion, the plugin should "just work" (given I keep the online db updated that is). That should mean that in the future, the plugin won't be out of commission like this for any extended period of time like this. Finding the new offset values only requires opening the new steamclient.dll in IDA Pro, performing a bit of black magic, and about 10 min later I can have the new offset values and update the online db. The only thing I have left to do now is update the backend/native code so that it will make use of these new config values instead of using the old algorithm that was in place for finding the values automatically. That shouldn't take long though as I'm basically just commenting out all of that code and having it retrieve the values from the config instead.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Unusual Gem 1