LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox 8.0 Released - Change Log

Lordmonkus

Version 8.0 - Released February 14, 2018

- New Premium Feature: Big Box now includes a built-in PDF/browser viewer for manuals that can be controlled with all existing controllers. This is implemented via the Chromium Embedded Framework (an embedded, open-source version of Google Chrome). If desired, this can be disabled under the Big Box General options.

- New Feature: Retroarch Netplay support is now built-in to LaunchBox and Big Box, largely thanks to Izegod from the forums who built a plugin for it! Simply right-click on a supported game and select Retroarch Netplay in LaunchBox, or access the Retroarch Netplay options from the game details menu in Big Box.

- New Feature: A new "Download Updated Community Star Ratings" option is available under the Tools menu in LaunchBox; this makes it much easier and faster to update star ratings, rather than having to run the Download Metadata and Media wizard.

- Improvement: LaunchBox and Big Box startup times have been significantly reduced. The "Populating Platforms" portion of the startup screen should now be instantaneous in most situations.

- Improvement: LaunchBox now supports jump to game by letter (press an alphanumeric key on the keyboard), similar to Windows Explorer

- Improvement: The LaunchBox Welcome form has been revamped and modernized

- Improvement: Added community star ratings support to the LaunchBox Plugin API. The following fields have been added to the IGame interface: CommunityOrLocalStarRating, StarRatingFloat, CommunityStarRating, and CommunityStarRatingTotalVotes. See the documentation here: http://pluginapi.launchbox-app.com/html/b33d2055-e2be-3f42-12c6-adbc5668f454.htm

- Improvement: Added retro achievements support to the LaunchBox Plugin API. See the new Unbroken.LaunchBox.Plugins.RetroAchievements namespace for details. Documentation is here: http://pluginapi.launchbox-app.com/

- Improvement: Retro achievements will now use alternate names from the games database if the game is not found; this requires the game to be already matched up to a LaunchBox Games Database ID

- Improvement: The Big Box wall view now supports videos for custom themes

- Improvement: The FilterTitle property is now available for all games views in Big Box custom themes

- Improvement: The included version of ScummVM has been updated to the latest version! The ScummVM games list has also been updated.

- Improvement: The Big Box star rating popup has been changed to jump only to half-star and whole-star values; in addition, pressing the Back button/key will no longer save the changed star rating. Pressing the select/enter key/button will, of course, save the value.

- Fixed: Valve/Steam decided to kill our API Key for no apparent reason (or at least none that we received any communication about), which broke the Steam import wizard. This has been fixed with a new API key. Hopefully they don't kill this one...

- Fixed: Retro Achievements were causing errors to pop up in LaunchBox if the retroachievements.org website went down

- Fixed: Some Big Box theme combinations resulted in issues saving different views for each platform

- Fixed: The game details sidebar in LaunchBox was not remembering its sizing when closed and restarting LaunchBox

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Lordmonkus said:

Version 8.0 - Released February 14, 2018

- Fixed: Valve/Steam decided to kill our API Key for no apparent reason (or at least none that we received any communication about), which broke the Steam import wizard. This has been fixed with a new API key. Hopefully they don't kill this one...

First of all: yaay!

Second: I was thinking, do you think they killed it because all of us were using it, so they thought it was used too much? Like they thought it was a malware/pirate attack?

Hi,

The new feature with the manual reading is great. But something is missing for me :)

It is possible somehow to open the manual with an associated button press in Big Box mode? I disabled the Game Details Screen but I'd like to have the option to open the manual pdf with a button.

Thanks in advance!

Yes but I don't want to let the Game Details open. My final goal is to replace the manuals with 1 page pdf created by me which has some details and a picture about the button layout for the game. For this it would be very useful to be able to set a button to open the manual. 

Edited by FaBRiK

i got an issue with ze launching of your box.... i loaded up the last version and it told me the new update bla bla bla. now its 8.0 and wont get past populating playlists before the critical error crashes the program.   .... this really sucks i have no desire to re set everything up i have spent far too long micromanaging each aspect to lose it all for a bad update. is there a way i can roll it back with my settings intact until whatever bug im experiencing is patched?

Edited by Lordmonkus

some dude named jack  gave me his license file told me he had just bought  a year of big box and i could have a copy. its worked perfectly fine up until meow.  it wasnt due to expire yet i figured id wait until it ran out to buy the lifetime.  this is the license i was using.  dude had to have paid for this originally otherwise it wouldn't have lasted for so many updates why block it all of a sudden? last time i checked once you paid for the license you can put it on however many pcs ya want right? drm free right on your main page yo its a selling point.

Ahh yes, we are fully aware of "Jacks" license it has been black listed for a while now.

Why block it all of sudden ? It has been black listed but Jason put in some extra measures to prevent its use.

Yeah it's DRM free for users to put on their own computers, not to pass around freely on the internet for whoever wants it.

If you want your full BigBox functionality back all you have to do is purchase your own legitimate license and drop it in your folder after removing "Jacks" and it will work perfectly.

On 16/02/2018 at 12:21 AM, LuismaSP89 said:

Launchbox 8.0 Boots at the speed of light! What a great improvement :P (In my case, 7.16 needs 9 seconds to boot, and 8.0 only 2 seconds)

The populating plataform stuff still a little slow for me.

Edited by AFaustini