LaunchBox Community Forums

Best Emulators for LaunchBox use

guardianali

So I just got into Launchbox alot and LOVE it. 
I have it running more of less for all the consoles I enjoy. However, as we all know there is a lot of different emulators for all systems. 
With the exception of a few systems where there is only really one (or one good one) like Citra, Cemu, RCPS3, PCSX2), the rest have a number of them. Dreamcast, SNES, NES, Genesis, N64, etc...etc..

At first I tried to force/setup LaunchBox to work with the emulator I wanted...but then it occurred to me...is there a community consensus, that after a good bit of usage now that Launchbox has been out for a while, on which specific emulator works best FOR USE WITH LAUNCHBOX. 

Not which one is best 'in general'....not a 'not the easiest to work with launchbox but you should use this instead of xyz'.....
But which ones have a much better/easier/native time integrating with LaunchBox for the various systems. 

Id love some responses as to what is the best with regards to Launchbox itself and why....

Retroarch for several reasons:

1. Launches seamlessly.
2. Less clutter in your emulators window in LB.
3. Doesn't require any funky extras like AHK scripts to work properly.
4. Has the best emulation for the main 8, 16 and 32 bit consoles.

There are so many reason to use it I could keep going on with other reasons but I won't, it's just so good for so many reasons that to me it makes no sense to use other emulators unless the Retroarch core itself has a significant flaw or the stand alone version has something extremely significant making it better than the relevant core. 

Just chiming in here with some of my own personal advice :)

For most systems, pre-2000, go with Retroarch:D However, there are some "oddball", lesser known systems which won't work. (eg. Bally Astrocade, Emerson Arcadia, Fairchild Channel F, etc.)

The good news though is that those oddball systems and many "classic" computers will work with MAME, in which I recommend the stand-alone emulator rather than the Retroarch core, since it's usually more up to date and easier to work with in my opinion. 

As for the others,

Sega Dreamcast: Demul (most accurate) or NullDC (older, slower systems)

Sony PlayStation 2: PCSX2

Sony PSP: PPSSPP (the standalone is usually more up to date than the Retroarch core)

Gamecube / Wii: Dolphin

Wii U: Cemu

Nintendo 3DS: Citra (Canary build is running nicely these days)

And I would recommend some of the standalone emulators like Vice for Commdore 64/Vic-20 as well as WinUAE for the Commodore Amiga as they're the best ones available for those systems

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, guardianali said:

...on which specific emulator works best FOR USE WITH LAUNCHBOX. 

....But which ones have a much better/easier/native time integrating with LaunchBox for the various systems. 
Id love some responses as to what is the best with regards to Launchbox itself and why....

I would say the short answer to your real question is most any emulator you choose to use works best with Launchbox.

Most set-up easily with Launchbox with no fuss. Add a new emulator and point LB to the .exe, make sure the associated platform of the emulator is linked to your platfrom name you entered into LB and import your roms. Some may require a certain box checked or unchecked in the manage emulators screen or maybe even a certain parameter entered. That really is it for a lot of emulators you may use.

The main big fuss is getting the emulator set up and running correctly versus getting it working in Launchbox.  

Thought I'd throw in my thoughts here as a newbie to emulation.

I've not been on the scene that long.  For no particular reason I ended up starting off with an older version of Retroarch.  I found it a little cumbersome and there was no way to automatically find and download cores.  I quickly discovered the latest version and haven't looked back.  Emulating Sega Mega Drive, SNES, NES and PSX games is so easy and it is absolutely seamless with LB.  Once you get things set up you won't look back.   I quickly found myself playing  old games such as Alien Storm and Altered Beast and having an absolute blast.

As for the standalone emulators, CEMU is pretty much the one to use for Wii-U and PCSX2 for anything PS2 related.  MAME for your arcade stuff and Demul for Dreamcast emulation.   All of these I have found to work very well when using LB as a main frontend.  As Retro808 said you might want to enter some custom parameters to hide some emulator GUIs and save resources when the game loads.  CEMU for example requires a '-f -g' parameter to get games running and at fullscreen.   Apart from that setup for the most part is a breeze.  My main issues so far have come from getting the emulators themselves to behave how I want them.

Edited by Chumpalot

• 2 years later...
8 hours ago, Yoyafui said:

Hello, I want the next emulators

MSX and MSX2

PC Engine

Neo Geo Console  (AES)

Atari 2600

I'm doing a collection and other platforms going to help me :)

PD: I'm from Argentina

Everything you mentioned works great with Retroarch, using the following cores

MSX/MSX2 - bluemsx_libretro
PC Engine - mednafen_pce_fast_libretro
Neo Geo - fbneo_libretro (or you can use MAME)
Atari 2600 - stella_libretro

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 10/23/2020 at 1:24 PM, Wariolord said:

Hello, I am searching for a good emulation of n64 for launchbox big box. The emulation at this timeis OK, but some minigames doesn't work good. The splitscreen minigames are bugging. 

Retroarch with the mupen64plus next and Parallel is pretty good.

1 hour ago, Dave604 said:

Nothing beats Punes for NES not even RetroArch & it's cores

What makes it so good you like it more than Retroarch?

• Thanks 1

Interesting that you dug up a 2 year old thread to claim that puNES is better than anything in Retroarch including Mesen when the accuracy tests show that Mesen is now 100% while puNES is 98%.

https://tasvideos.org/EmulatorResources/NESAccuracyTests

puNES is fantastic but Mesen is technically the better emulator.

You say puNES has better graphics, it's an NES emulator, how much better can the graphics be while Mesen supports HDpacks.

And if you don't like RA for some reason or another there is the stand alone version of Mesen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1