LaunchBox Community Forums

SOme Playstation 1 games will not work in big box

ManGrissle

I have set up retroarch the way I know how using some of the great videos on youtube......I can start every game I have in retroarch fine.....but after I scan my games into big box...some games will not launch....the window will not open or pop up anything....I dont know if I am missing something or not......I have my games in one folder....Bin and cue files all in one file....

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, ManGrissle said:

I have set up retroarch the way I know how using some of the great videos on youtube......I can start every game I have in retroarch fine.....but after I scan my games into big box...some games will not launch....the window will not open or pop up anything....I dont know if I am missing something or not......I have my games in one folder....Bin and cue files all in one file....

Did you import the .cue files? as that's all you need. Also have you set the associated platform in manage emulators/Retroarch?

2 hours ago, ManGrissle said:

no....I just scanned the whole folder.... bin and cue files with all the extras...Ill try to just scan the cue files.....Ill let you know what happens

Please do let us know how you get on, I'm curious. I haven't started using my PS1 backups yet but knowing my luck, I'll probably run into similar problems lol.

I deleted all my PlayStation games and tried adding rom files individually ....I searched for the cue file type in my folder....i then highlighted all cue files and then hit add....all seem to work well but I was wrong....some of the games still do not work on my launchbox :( i wonder if it matters that i am using windows 10

Can I make a suggestion? Download PSX2PSP and convert your ps1 bin files to pbp and then scan the pbp files with launchbox. The retroarch beetle PSX core supports pbp format. Make sure to put each game's bin and cue files in their own separate folder 1st before converting to pbp. So basically if you have 10 ps1 games and each game has a bin file and a cue file like they should (20 files in total), create 10 folders and make sure each folder has 1 bin file and 1 cue file, both for the same game.

2 hours ago, Shinryu said:

Can I make a suggestion? Download PSX2PSP and convert your ps1 bin files to pbp and then scan the pbp files with launchbox. The retroarch beetle PSX core supports pbp format. Make sure to put each game's bin and cue files in their own separate folder 1st before converting to pbp. So basically if you have 10 ps1 games and each game has a bin file and a cue file like they should (20 files in total), create 10 folders and make sure each folder has 1 bin file and 1 cue file, both for the same game.

I cant tell how your suppose to do it with that program....It is only letting me do one file at a time.....Ill look for a guide and get back to yall

33 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

You say only some do not work. Can you name a few so maybe we can test? Also on the ones that do not work did you right click and edit the game and make sure it imported the .cue file and not the .bin?

2Xtreme and twisted metal 2 are the only ones I know for sure that are not working right off the top of my head

4 minutes ago, ManGrissle said:

I cant tell how your suppose to do it with that program....It is only letting me do one file at a time.....Ill look for a guide and get back to yall

you are supposed to convert only 1 bin file at a time if you want to convert single disc games. If you want to convert multiple disc games (Final Fantasy 7 for example) and merge them into 1 pbp file, switch off theme mode in the options 1st then you can convert and merge up to 5 bin files into 1 pbp file. If you want to convert multiple "TRACK" games (Nightmare Creatures for example), rather download a pre-made pbp file of that game as its a mission to convert and merge those successfully.

45 minutes ago, ManGrissle said:

2Xtreme and twisted metal 2 are the only ones I know for sure that are not working right off the top of my head

Well looks like I cannot be of much help. I have pbp files for those two games and they load fine. So I cannot test bin/cue style files for you. Sorry about that. 

I really couldn't find a good tutorial.....found one but the picture aids were missing

I converted the bin file and ended up with a folder called SCUS94508 with a pbp file called EBOOT.......could someone please tell me what to do with this....

this is the page I was looking at

https://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-to-converting-ps1-games-for-psp.206195/

1 hour ago, ManGrissle said:

I really couldn't find a good tutorial.....found one but the picture aids were missing

I converted the bin file and ended up with a folder called SCUS94508 with a pbp file called EBOOT.......could someone please tell me what to do with this....

this is the page I was looking at

https://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-to-converting-ps1-games-for-psp.206195/

OK you now just rename that EBOOT.PBP to whatever the game name is. Example is Croc Legend of the Gobbos.PBP. Also go into PSX2PSP and select options, Folders tab and at the bottom select Create Main Game Title Folder so that the folder that gets created is the name of the game and not its game ID like what it is currently. While you're in options go to Theme tab and uncheck Use Theme Mode (Restart Needed) if you haven't done so yet. Now you can use that .PBP file in retroarch, epsxe and pcsx-reloaded.

2 hours ago, Shinryu said:

OK you now just rename that EBOOT.PBP to whatever the game name is. Example is Croc Legend of the Gobbos.PBP. Also go into PSX2PSP and select options, Folders tab and at the bottom select Create Main Game Title Folder so that the folder that gets created is the name of the game and not its game ID like what it is currently. While you're in options go to Theme tab and uncheck Use Theme Mode (Restart Needed) if you haven't done so yet. Now you can use that .PBP file in retroarch, epsxe and pcsx-reloaded.

1 hour ago, ManGrissle said:

@Shinryu no freaking way....Ill have to try that asap....kinda busy now but I will do it

I think I worded myself a bit incorrectly and therefore sounded inaccurate. I meant PCSX Reloaded, Retroarch psx cores and ePSXe all support pbp out of the box so once the conversion is done you can load the pbp file with the emulators straight away. The reason behind changing the options is that changing the folder name options makes it easier to see what game the eboot file is so you can rename it and the theme mode needs to be disabled if you want to merge and convert games with multiple discs/bin files into 1 pbp.

Edited by Shinryu

ok....I got the game to boot into launchbox....awesome....but I think I may have messed up the file.....the PBP file....the logo for playstation pops up....but stays there

how big is the file suppose to be after conversion....(ballpark idea)...... it was 427mb....now its 23.4mb

Edited by ManGrissle
more information needed in the first place...