LaunchBox Community Forums

Modernist

View File

This is my latest theme and has taken many weeks of work to get to this stage. A big thank you to @eatkinola for his assistance with getting the video plugin working.

The theme is loosely based on the Netflix interface and is designed to be a clean dark theme with an emphasis on fanart and videos. The plugin is included within the theme for the videos to work correctly. As with Netflix the theme is designed to show the fanart for approx. 4 seconds before then fading in the video. As the videos do not use the inbuilt Launchbox control and instead use the plugin I have found the experience smoother with the video option set to Windows Media Player rather than VLC and have not experienced any issues in doing this though your mileage may vary so if one doesn't work/stutters try the other.

There is one platform view in this theme and 7 Game views. The Game views are clear logos vertical, screenshots vertical 4:3 format, screenshots vertical 16:9 format, horizontal clear logos, horizontal screenshots 4:3, horizontal screenshots 16:9 and a two row Wall View.

The game details screen includes full controller layout for the various platforms (all major ones covered) and there is a template file included for Gimp GNU in the theme/images/controls folder should you wish to change the control images / styles. 

As always comments and suggestions welcome.

Enjoy!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I really like this theme. The only thing I don't like is the games view with the gamepad. Maybe if there was an alternative, more conventional view for that section it would be perfect.

It would also be nice if we could add some additional info to the games. There's a lot of blank space under the game description that could be used to display some more info.

Aside for that, great job. This is a clean really well done theme. Will definitely try it out over the weekend.

• Thanks 1

@ALIENot from the user side but can be done within the theme. The delay is to mirror the style from Netflix where fan art is shown for a period of time before the video is displayed.

@Styphelus yes there is blank space. My other themes are quite heavy on maximising information on screen and not having empty space. For this theme I wanted to keep to just the essential information and keep it as clean as possible. With regards game details this is obviously optional and the intention for this theme would be to disable it completely in the options so that games launch directly but have the game details screen mapped to a button so that this brings up the control scheme when required.

• 2 weeks later...

This theme is quite nice and modern ;p

My only real deal-breaker is I prefer to emphasize gameplay video foremost... Would it be possible to have an option to simply display the video right away instead of fanart (even if it requires editing the file itself)?

Also, I assume there's an option to skip game-details and jump straight into the game via bigbox settings 

Overall, great work!!!

Edited by Exequiel3k

Thx for the reply @DOS76

I’d be nice to have clear indications where (inside the files) we could alter the video appearing delay since I’m with @Nonamer..

Also, do you plan on adding more plateform images (ie Xbox original, wiiu)?? :P

Edited by Exequiel3k