LaunchBox Community Forums

Cabinet Controls Thoughts and Setup?

kiddanplay

So...As I look over my LB build I realize there is no way that I can map everything for all my systems to a standard joystick and buttons. Systems like the PS1 and PS2 needing bumper support and whatnot and since I'm at the point where I'm going to start sourcing parts and building a cab I just realized my cab would potentially have MULTIPLE controllers. While this isn't a bad thing for a single player setup if I do a 2 person setup this can get rather clunky and ugly looking. So I thought I would reach out and see what solutions you guys have undertook to manage your controls while still having your cabinets look and feel functional. 

This is my thoughts with my build: 

2 Lightguns on each side of the cab, 2 joysticks, 7 button setup = this will cover all my mame, FBA, Daphne, Sega Model 2, Sega Naomi, NEO Geo AES, Neo Geo CD

2 Xbox controllers to manage all standard consoles, Atari 7800, atari jaguar, atari lynx, Nintendo 3ds, 64, ds, NES, GB, GBA, GBC, GC, 3D0, PC ENGINE, Sega 32X, CD, Dreamcast, GG, GEN,MS, Saturn, Sony PS1, PS2, PSP, SNES, Turbografx, wonderswan, and wonderswan color

1 trackball for any golden tee games

2 spinners for Atari games

pull out keyboard and mouse for any ScummVM games.... This I would really like evaluate and see if there is a better option for...this to me would be clunky and I would only want to pull these out if I need to configure something on the system (maybe use the xbox controllers? What do you guys do for ScummVM) 

For my build I figure I will have a total of 23 buttons - 14 for player controls, 2 for coin buttons, 2 for 1 and 2 player select, 2 for select and start, 1 button to exit the current emulator and go back to big box, 2 buttons for back and forward through the menu in big box.

What about for the WII? are you guys using the actual WII motes for your wii setups? this is a system I have stayed away from just based on the fact it would be ANOTHER controller to add to this setup...What are your thoughts on that??

So to sum it up here are the questions: 

1) Does my setup sound too far off base with regards to the systems and the button layout? 

2) Does it sound like too many buttons?

3) What do you guys use to control your ScummVM? Is there a better option that using a keyboard and mouse or is this a necessary evil?

4) What do you do for your WII setups? Do you use the WIImotes? How do you play games that require the motion control if your not using the WIImotes?

Lastly I have attached a platform list incase you see anything I missed and recommend anything different

Screen Shot 2018-08-22 at 9.58.05 PM.png

1 minute ago, damageinc86 said:

i can say that the mayflash dolphin bar with real wiimotes works perfectly.  It's great.

Good info I guess I could have them on the side of my cab and they wouldn't really be a pain in the rear or obnoxious looking. Ill take a look into the mayflash....thanks for the info

Just now, kiddanplay said:

Good info I guess I could have them on the side of my cab and they wouldn't really be a pain in the rear or obnoxious looking. Ill take a look into the mayflash....thanks for the info

Yeah they don't take much space up.  especially if you can cut something out similar to this 4 holed thing I found:  1978185711_IMG_28831.thumb.JPG.c7c807f64d30204b0029173a55a5e03e.JPG

On 8/22/2018 at 11:12 PM, damageinc86 said:

Yeah they don't take much space up.  especially if you can cut something out similar to this 4 holed thing I found: 

Question on your setup... With the may flash...is that working with dolphin 5.0? I was checking out how to set it all up and I thought Simply Austin mentioned they didn't work with dolphin 5.0 (I could be wrong though) Also, I did watch another video where a guy said there was some input lag with the controllers in dolphin but they worked...do you notice any lag and or is there a way to adjust the sensitivity within dolphin for the bar like you could on the original wii?

I'm still really curious about SCUMM VM or even Exodos/Win3xO I'm guessing for these keyboard and mouse will be a necessity. I'm really debating if I want to add these to my system as I really don't want a cluttered build where I have to find a space to set a keyboard and mouse to play these games...my controller surface will already tied up with space I just feel adding a KB and mouse will make it over cluttered. Honestly I never really played a lot of scummvm or dos stuff growing up as I was always a console gamer starting with the OG NES. so it won't hurt me too much to remove these or not add them from my build in an effort for more efficiency.

2 hours ago, kiddanplay said:

Question on your setup... With the may flash...is that working with dolphin 5.0? I was checking out how to set it all up and I thought Simply Austin mentioned they didn't work with dolphin 5.0 (I could be wrong though) Also, I did watch another video where a guy said there was some input lag with the controllers in dolphin but they worked...do you notice any lag and or is there a way to adjust the sensitivity within dolphin for the bar like you could on the original wii?

l just updated to the current build of dolphin and no noticeable problems.  I honestly just plugged the bar in and set it to the right mode for wiimotes and haven't even looked to change anything.  It's just worked as far as I could feel.

My old arcade cabinet was 2 player and had two joysticks with 8 buttons each player, 2 light-guns, 2 spinners, 1 trackball and a keyboard/mouse. It all worked just fine but occasionally the PC would have a spaz-attack and something would need re-configuring. That is bound to happen with PCs, they have a mind of their own at time. I have seen FAR more complicated setups out there that seem to work. I think like everything though the more stuff there is the more chance there is something will go wrong. You just have to be prepared to fault find and fix when stuff decides to play up a bit but I am sure you can get it where it will run smoother than a babies buttocks.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I built a cabinet and it has 8 buttons per player. I've not put spinners or trackball on it (but, in retrospect, I wish I'd put spinners on it as they would be good for breakout games - which I like).

I've also got 6 buttons at the top which are Pause, 1P, 2P, Start, Select, and Exit.

I can also fold a front panel down and slide out a keyboard/mouse for messing around with the PC etc.

I'm new to Launchbox but, with my previous Rocketlauncher/Hyperspin build I managed to get PS1 games running (via RetroArch) but I'll probably steer towards the 'simpler' games that don't require the use of too many buttons. I'm looking for more of a pickup and play experience as I've stuck my arcade cabinet in a summerhouse that we use as a 'pub' :)

Edited by Johnny T
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

hi pal

the buttons on the bezel i use a ipac i have 2 ipacs i use one for bezel buttons and one for control panel.

the buttons on the bezel red is exit emu/game. far left white is pause, one next to red left is enter, far right is tab to config mame and the other white right of the red button is a spare.

the blue button next to 1p is search in bigbox plus player 1 coin in mame and the other blue  next to 2p is coin for player 2.

the 2 white buttons under the 1p buttons are for the spinner plus change image and change view in bigbox.

the two red ones at the bottom are left and right mouse buttons.

Edited by andyco47