LaunchBox Community Forums

Atari 5200 and RetroArch 1.74

latin625

Ok, I came back to Retroarch after a 10 month hiatus and OMG!  They friggin rocked it out!  Got rid of the crappy controls and made it super simply and SUPER FAST in loading!  WOW

I might be getting rid of ALL my emulators and sticking with RA!  As I go through the emulator and roms, I notice that Atari 5200 does not load or work with the Atari800 core.  Has anyone gotten this to work?

Thanks!

Edited by latin625

I normally use Kat5200 to play my Atari 5200 roms. but I do have retroarch setup as a secondary option (using RA 1.74 and the latest core for Atari800).  I just tried mine and it works fine in RetroArch.  Make sure you have the latest core downloaded (either through RA's interface or via the buildbot site - https://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/windows/x86_64/latest/ or if you have a x86 processor - https://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/windows/x86/latest/), and the correct BIOS files needed for the Atari 800 core to work properly (https://docs.libretro.com/library/atari800/)

Edited by CDBlue
  • Thanks 1

Interesting.  Tested several games and they all work fine for me with the latest atari800 core and 1.74 nightly RetroArch.  Do you have your games files zipped or in the unzipped .a52 file type?  Mine are not in a zipped file, I wonder if maybe that's the issue?

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bios files typically just go in the retroarch system folder most times.  There are a few exceptions that require their own sub-folder in the systems folder, but this isn't one of them.  Many emulators are very picky when it comes to needing certain bios dumps.  For example, the atari800 bios core in question here is looking for several bios files with certain MD5SUM checksums (https://docs.libretro.com/library/atari800/).  Make sure you check the files you have to make sure they match what's listed on the core info page for libretro to make sure you don't have issues due to having the wrong bios files.

• 1 month later...

From the libretro forums:

1. Load any atari800 or 5200 with Atari800 3.1.0 core. does not matter if your game does not work, we just need to be able to enter the menu.
  2. when game is loaded, press F1 (this is quick-menu, just cancel or press F1 again or whichever is your quickmenu hotkey) - this will show you Atari800 menu(use joystick/gamepad to navigate. On Xbox 360 controller. button B is OK while Y is back. if nothing is working, go to quick menu-Controls and choose ATARI Joystick for User 1 Device Type
  3. While im Menu, goto Emulator Configuration -> System ROM Settings then Find ROM images in a directory
  4. Locate your atari5200 and atari800 bios roms. these roms have to be uncompressed. -Atari400/800 - atariosb.rom -XL/XE - atarixl.rom -Basic - ataribas.rom -5200 - 5200.rom Once rom folders are set, press SPACEBAR to save location. 5.go back to Emulator Settings and then choose Save Configuration file.
  5. goto quick menu and close content.
  6. By this time, you can now play games. do note that the games has to be extracted and uncompressed too. You can use Load Content method in Retroarch. if you load a compressed rom, your game will not play and you are stuck in Self Test mode.
  7. When you do load a game, and see only black screen, just press Enter or OK on your gamepad.
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I got Atari 5200 working on Retroarch by putting bios 5200 in system folder

Then launching a game i press F1 go down to options

There i change Atari 800 to 5200 on Atari System

But when i launch Atari 5200 games with Retroarch the sound cracks up at the beginning

If i run games with Altirra emulator i got no issues with sounds running same games

Maybe the sound issues can be fix in settings in Retroarch?

Edited by Zeaede

• 2 months later...

I'm not a big fan of the Atari 5200 core in retroarch, as I always seem to have one issue or another with it.  Although those issues can be overcome, I generally just use a stand-alone emulator for Atari 5200 games now as it's just easier.  I'm not sure how many of them are out there for the Atari 5200, but here are a couple that I know of that work well:

Kat5200 - http://kat5200.jillybunch.com/index.html

Altirra - http://www.virtualdub.org/altirra.html

They're both relatively easy to setup (the controller bindings can be a little odd to setup at first).

I know it doesn't directly help with your issue, but if you're willing to try a stand-alone emulator, then this might help.

Edited by CDBlue

Em 27/10/2018 às 12:54, steve_ayres@msn.com disse:

Você pode acessar os arquivos do Bios na pasta do sistema antes de executar o 800 ou o Atari800.cfg existir, excluindo e executando o sistema depois dos arquivos do BIOS.

Perfeito .. Linux Mint 19.1

exclui o aquivo .atari800.cfg da pasta /home/user

coloquei as bios na pasta system do retroarch

e depois o retroarch abriu os jogos normalmente com o core atari800_libreto...

devo ter tentado rodar os jogos sem a bios e o .atari800.cfg ficou errado....

Agora resolvido

Edited by koringaxp

• 6 months later...