LaunchBox Community Forums

Orionsangel's Realistic Arcade Overlays for MAME & Retroarch (Updated 03/25/2024)

Orionsangel

• Orionsangel changed the title to Orionsangel's Realistic Arcade Overlays for MAME & Retroarch (Updated 05/03/2022)
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm using your Retroarch bezels in Retroarch.

One major issue that caused hours of frustration - there is a Arcade.cfg file in the Retroarch/config folder. It was constantly overriding each game's cfg and loading berzerk.png! Removing it allowed each game to load its respective overlay.

Second, I'm now able to get each game to load its respective overlay but the custom_viewport sizes aren't being respected? Large portions of the edges of the games are being covered by the overlay. I've been testing with Asteroids and Centipede, neither are being resized to fit within the confines of the overlay. Help, please.

Edited by Knowcontrol

1 hour ago, Knowcontrol said:

I'm now able to get each game to load its respective overlay but the custom_viewport sizes aren't being respected?

AH-HA! I figured it out! Thanks to this post on the retropie forum

https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/19598/custom-viewport-problem-retroarch-1-7-5

First of all, I'm running the most current Windows x64 1.10.3 Retroarch as of May, 2022. Second, I have a curated set of MAME 0.241 non-merged. Within Retroarch I had my Video>Scaling set to Core Provided. This is what was interfering with allowing each game to resize itself as per the cfg file's custom_viewport parameters. I then added the following to the top of each game's cfg file and BAM! the game was resized to fit within the overlay!!

aspect_ratio_index = "23"

Example astroid.cfg:

aspect_ratio_index = "23"
custom_viewport_height = "640"
custom_viewport_width = "842"
custom_viewport_x = "545"
custom_viewport_y = "253"
input_overlay = ":\overlays\arcade\asteroid.cfg"

I hope this helps! Maybe I just have my global settings wrong?

22 hours ago, Knowcontrol said:

Maybe I just have my global settings wrong?

Create a configuration file for MAME. Then with mame_libretro.cfg loaded, go to Settings>Video>Scaling and set it to Core Provided. I wound up having to add the aspect_ratio_index to all game cfg files to get the game to scale to the overlay. This was quite simple with Notepad++. Here is a screenshot of what to enter

61493845_2022-05-1200_17_16-new2-Notepad.thumb.png.b1cf34add1ef2f272da989b53c7d553b.png

Press ctrl+h, go to the Find In Files tab

• Find what: (.*)
  • Replace with: aspect_ratio_index = "23"\r\n\1
  • set your directory where your Retroarch/config/MAME game cfg files are stored
  • on the bottom left under Search Mode be sure to select "Regular expression" and check the box for . matches new line.

Here is how you would load a custom core file config in LB emulator settings

1243306778_2022-05-1216_15_51-Window.thumb.png.3d86cf4ec5c8a8e46b114ce127e114d9.png

** I wound up not using the custom mame_libretro.cfg as I found that just keeping the default retroarch.cfg set at "Core Provided" scaling worked just fine as long as you modify the text files as mentioned above.

Edited by Knowcontrol

• 2 weeks later...
  • Orionsangel changed the title to Orionsangel's Realistic Arcade Overlays for MAME & Retroarch (Updated 05/22/2022)
  • Orionsangel changed the title to Orionsangel's Realistic Arcade Overlays for MAME & Retroarch (Updated 05/23/2022)

Here's a Realistic Arcade Bezel for the game Gate Of Doom for Retroarch.

A very special thanks to Dreamstate for acquiring this rare arcade bezel.

Thanks to HyperSpaceMadness as well for the use of his reflective shader.

gad (2).png

gad (1).png

gadhsm (1).png

gadhsm (2).png

Edited by Orionsangel
  • Like 3
  • Game On 1

• Orionsangel changed the title to Orionsangel's Realistic Arcade Overlays for MAME & Retroarch (Updated 05/25/2022)
8 hours ago, Retrofrogg said:

Nice ongoing work. That shader does take these bezels up a level! 

That's true, but the real arcade machine is more like the first two shown in the video. It uses a thin cardboard frame that goes around the screen. So there's no reflections. Then again an arcade machine can be done in any way you like it to be.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Orionsangel changed the title to Orionsangel's Realistic Arcade Overlays for MAME & Retroarch (Updated 06/11/2022)
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Orionsangel changed the title to Orionsangel's Realistic Arcade Overlays for MAME & Retroarch (Updated 06/25/2022)

Someone requested Fix It Felix Jr. This is the best I could do for now on such short notice. I worked in between my breaks today. Sadly, I had to use the Sega Genesis version and force it to be vertical. The arcade game runs on a PC and there’s no rom for MAME or Retroarch. At least not a good working one. It’s a start though. Thanks to HyperspaceMadness and his Mega Bezel Reflective Shader.

fixitfelixjr.png

fixitfelixjralt.png

Edited by Orionsangel
  • Like 3
  • Unusual Gem 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Orionsangel changed the title to Orionsangel's Realistic Arcade Overlays for MAME & Retroarch (Updated 07/08/2022)
  • 3 weeks later...