LaunchBox Community Forums

Mame wont start vertical games

hathaer1

Hi, I have just downloaded Launch box and set up mame using the tutorial I found in the forums. I have set up mame outside of launch box and I can use it to run games. When I run Launchbox and try to start a vertical game it just says Initializing, some times looks like its loading (a percentage counts upwards) then just switches back to Launchbox. I have checked my rom location is the same in both mame and Launchbox, I have uninstalled Launchbox abd reinstalled it and checked my ini file is in the mame folder not the ini folder. Can anyone think what is causing this? I was hopping Launchbox would be easier to set up than Hyperspin because I couldn't get that to work either :) :) 

I have tried different games and different manufacturers, and no Vertical games will start. All the other ones I have tried (5 from different manufacturers) all start but are extremely slow and laggy.

Thanks for any help

Eric

I can run it from mame outside of launchbox, do I need to get other files to run Vertical games in LB?

I've just tried a couple of other games, Ghost 'n Goblins and Ghouls 'n ghosts and they both do the same thing. I've never tried them before.

Edited by hathaer1

Make sure your mame.ini is located in your main Mame folder where the emulators executable is and not in the \ini folder. Having it in the \ini folder will load games straight from Mame itself but not through Launchbox. This is a known issue with Mame for whatever reason and has many posts here on the forums.

13 minutes ago, hathaer1 said:

Hi, Lordmonkus. Yes it is in the mame folder, that was one of the first things I found while searching for the solution.

Thanks.

When you test them in just MAME are you loading them from the MAME UI or via commandline? You have told MAME the correct folder location for your roms correct? It needs to know where they are obviously in order to load them, you cant just give Launchbox the folder path as MAME needs it as well.

As @DOS76 said above that error is simply saying that it cannot find your roms, so it sounds very much like a path typo/missing path completely issue.

1645789074_Screenshot(226).thumb.png.8e5ef20c6153cc8feeea0c98f1b46898.png1013949634_Screenshot(227).thumb.png.4c8eac52406f8f7c7e224d209280c821.png1691119540_Screenshot(228).thumb.png.84e889da036e8bbc3aced5486c0de301.png

Hi neil9000, I think I may have a couple of issues. I'm in work so I can't test things just now but last night I couldn't get LB to load at all and ran the updater to get it running on the latest version. I'm pretty sure the rom path was ok before the update as some of the games were working, only vertical ones would crash.Would I need to set the ROM path up again after an update? I'll have a look tonight when I'm home and try and just set up the emulator in LB again.

When I test the games in mame I am just using the mame UI.

Thanks for the help.

Eric

4 minutes ago, hathaer1 said:

Hi neil9000, I think I may have a couple of issues. I'm in work so I can't test things just now but last night I couldn't get LB to load at all and ran the updater to get it running on the latest version. I'm pretty sure the rom path was ok before the update as some of the games were working, only vertical ones would crash.Would I need to set the ROM path up again after an update? I'll have a look tonight when I'm home and try and just set up the emulator in LB again.

When I test the games in mame I am just using the mame UI.

Thanks for the help.

Eric

Also it would be helpful to know if you have a full romset and which version and which version of the emulator you are using (the versions should really match for all games to work) and whether you used the new MAME fullset importer wizard or the old import roms method when you imported your games.

I have a feeling you used the old Tools/Import/Roms method which could be why they dont work correctly depending on your romset type, for example if you have a split set that method wont work correctly hence why the new fullset importer was implemented as that will work with all three romset types. The old method would only import the Parent roms, but the games also rely on files that could be in other game zip files, but Launchbox doesnt import those files so they are technically missing when loading a game.

Hi neil9000I'm not sure where I got my roms from, I've downloaded a couple of sets over the years and don't really know what I'm doing so they could be a pile of mince. I've deleted them and started a download from arcadepunks.

I have mame 0.202 and I'm downloading Rom set 0.201. Are the suitable for each other? 

1 hour ago, hathaer1 said:

Hi neil9000I'm not sure where I got my roms from, I've downloaded a couple of sets over the years and don't really know what I'm doing so they could be a pile of mince. I've deleted them and started a download from arcadepunks.

I have mame 0.202 and I'm downloading Rom set 0.201. Are the suitable for each other? 

They should work for the most part, romset and emu version should really match but that should be fine. If not just download the 0.201 version of the emulator and use that.