LaunchBox Community Forums

C64 Dreams (massive curated C64 collection)

Zombeaver

No problem. That one was really giving me some anxiety because I'd had one previous report on Discord that I was under the impression was basically a fluke but after it came up a second time today I wanted to take a closer look and, sure enough, it wasn't behaving as intended. I can only assume that either most people that are using C64 Dreams either A) already have AHK installed on their PCs (in which case it'll work anyway) or B) aren't using the local magazine module (or maybe a combination of the two).

I'm currently uploading the updated collection to Mediafire, and will post in here once that's complete. Future downloads at that point will already have the 1-31 hotfix and review fix baked in, but anyone that downloaded them previously will need to grab those.

Once that's done, I'm going back to finishing up the video, which will probably be a couple more days, then I'll put the collection up on Archive.org, and then I'll finally take that nap I've been talking about lol

Okay, links to download the complete collection have been updated to include all the post-release fixes. Just to re-iterate, if you downloaded prior to 2/1/22 you'll need to apply them. Details/Links for the fixes are available in the blog post here if anyone needs them.

Back to work on the video now!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The video is now done and has been added to the opening post. You can also find it below. I'd encourage people to check it out even if you've been using C64 Dreams for a while as there may be some functions/features that you weren't aware of. The collection has also been added to Archive.org now as well. Links have been added to the opening post. Have fun!

Written Guide / Video Script

• Like 8

Hi, I downloaded the archive.org torrent today for v0.45.  And have noticed that Game manuals appear to be missing?  Or do I need to grab them in a seperate download?  My 'C64 Dreams\Manuals\C64 Dreams' folder is empty.  I also tried searching for an example (Aliens_ The Computer Game.pdf) and this file is not anywhere within the folder structure.

Amazing project by the way, thank you!

Edited by Welz82

4 minutes ago, Welz82 said:

Hi, I downloaded the archive.org torrent today for v0.45.  And have noticed that Game manuals appear to be missing?  Or do I need to grab them in a seperate download?  My 'C64 Dreams\Manuals\C64 Dreams' folder is empty.  I also tried searching for an example (Aliens_ The Computer Game.pdf) and this file is not anywhere within the folder structure.

Amazing project by the way, thank you!

The manuals are toggleable in-game. They're not in Launchbox. Please watch the section of the video talking about using manuals.

• Like 1

Hi,

I just wants to give a big "Thank you!" for Zombeaver for publishing this officially. I have tried for 20 years to find a sutiable way of playing my old C64 games. But having a real C64 or a dedicated PC with Gamebase64 have just been collecting dust. Its to much "work" when you just wants to plays a short game, and when you get older your time to fiddle get shorter.

This solution you have made is really, really user friendly. Beeing soon in my 50ies i had a blast playing Boulderdash with my son yesterday. And almost just "plug and play".

You should really look into Commodore Amiga too (and Whdload). Doing the same setup there would craft a large crowd there too.

If you have a "donate" button i really would like to donate, if that is allowed. I feel like a free passenger; and would only be sign of appreciation for all your time you have put into this.

Best regards, Haakon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, H_a_a_k_o_n said:

Hi,

I just wants to give a big "Thank you!" for Zombeaver for publishing this officially. I have tried for 20 years to find a sutiable way of playing my old C64 games. But having a real C64 or a dedicated PC with Gamebase64 have just been collecting dust. Its to much "work" when you just wants to plays a short game, and when you get older your time to fiddle get shorter.

This solution you have made is really, really user friendly. Beeing soon in my 50ies i had a blast playing Boulderdash with my son yesterday. And almost just "plug and play".

That's really great to hear! I love hearing stories like this, and you've pretty perfectly encapsulated why I do this. I think that a lot of people fall in this camp and I totally get it. There's a very real barrier for entry for many people and there shouldn't be, which is why I think this project is important.

You should really look into Commodore Amiga too (and Whdload). Doing the same setup there would craft a large crowd there too.

I actually plan to do exactly that with an Amiga Dreams project in the future. That's likely several years off though as I don't want to get too distracted from C64 Dreams until v1.0 is released.

If you have a "donate" button i really would like to donate, if that is allowed. I feel like a free passenger; and would only be sign of appreciation for all your time you have put into this.

3 hours ago, SmashinGit said:

Me too, would love to donate also.

Thanks guys! If you're interested in donating, there's a link to do that in the navigation bar on my website.

• Like 4

Hi

thanks for this great project, love it. Had a 64 myself back in the 80s after an Atari 800XL and before moving on to Amiga 🙂.

I have some problems with my controller not working completely. It is a Logitech F310 with xinput. It is recognized by Win 10 the same way as a Xbox360 controller.

Playing games work fine and a few other functions (going up with a button, switch to manual) work also, but everything else fails. The first time using, it did nothing, from second time on Retroarch says "Controller not configured, using fallback".
So i want to try to configure it myself, Formerly i have already used and set up Retroarch for other cores, but as you use different ways to accomplish all functions, i am not quite sure, how to start.

https://forums.launchbox-app.com/topic/49324-c64-dreams-massive-curated-c64-collection/page/4/#comment-319347

Is this post still valid? All the "vice_mapper" lines are different or not there in my retroarch-core-options.cfg.

It would be nice, if you could explain a little more to this topic.

Thanks!

Please provide a list, specifically, of all functions that are working and all that are not. I can't really determine the problem based on the information you've provided. Below is the list of functions. I need to know everything that's working and everything that isn't. It could be something as simple as just needing to change the button assignment for the combo button, but I don't have enough information to determine that.

Controller Layout.png

This is great. Interestingly, there's need for this with a lot of systems, and with you and eXoDOS doing something similar for two systems, I wonder if there should be some sort of standardisation so that another contributor could take on say, the Spectrum, and menus, keybinds, folder structures would all be similar. 

Ok i did:

Combo+LB: No
Combo+RB: No
Combo+Start: No
Left stick button: Yes
Right stick button: Yes

Swap Joystick ports: Yes

Joystick movement: Yes

ESC/Runstop: Yes

Combo+Dpad Up:
Combo+Dpad Down:
Combo+Dpad Left:
Combo+Dpad Right:

Combo+B: No
Combo+Y: No
Combo+X: No
Combo+A: No
Combo+RT: No
LB in manual: Yes
RB in manual: Yes

Enter/Return: Yes
C=Key: Yes
Virtual Keyboard: Yes
Spacebar: Yes
Fire: Yes
Up on Joystick: Yes
Arrow Keys: Yes
+Navigate manuals: Yes

Combo+Left: No
Combo+Right: No
Combo+Click: Yes

I don't know, where i can test the custom music keys ....

Okay, so with a game running, press Numpad Minus + F1. You can use arrow keys to navigate, Enter enters a section and LAlt goes back. Go to settings > input > hotkey binds and scroll down to "Enable Hotkeys". You should see the button listed as "7". Press enter and then press the back button on your controller. Make a note of what number it changes to (it should change since it's apparently calling it something other than 7 for your controller). Now press Numpad Minus + Esc to quit.

Now go to C64 Dreams\C64 Dreams and start Configurator.exe and double-click on the "Config Editor" shortcut at the bottom. For the line that says input_enable_hotkey_btn change the number from 7 to whatever it said in Retroarch when you changed it.

That can't be right, otherwise the other stuff wouldn't work. Did you press enter on it first?

To fix the problem you have to determine what Retroarch is calling your back button. It's going to be some number. 7 is what it is for most xinput controllers - I test on 360, XB1, and 8bitdo Pro 2 controllers and it's correct for all three of those. Whatever number Retroarch is calling that button, that's what needs to go in the input_enable_hotkey_btn field, but I have no way of knowing what that will be for your controller as I don't have one.

aaaah, sorry ....

i have a second controller connected, that was recognized as first one in retroarch. I change this and now it works. It stays at "7" ....

Really sorry ... my fault.

Thanks very much for the help.

Strange thing, that i could use all other functions then ...but ok.

One thing to do ......i have to set the keyboard to QWERTZ .....i don't have an US one...