LaunchBox Community Forums

C64 Dreams (massive curated C64 collection)

Zombeaver

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for this project!

Quick heads up that may or may not be time sensitive - L'Abbaye des Morts is currently on sale for £0.00 if you click through the provided link in the first post, PLUS, Vegetables, included in C64 Dreams in its regular edition is also available for the low price of nothing if you wanted to upgrade the disk image to the Deluxe version.

• Like 2

@ZombeaverJust having a browse of the library - Attack of the Mutant Camels doesn't seem to respond to the control scheme like other titles. Joystick movement doesn't register, and I had the click the left stick (which I don't think has a function assigned?) to progress past the trainer page.

Just letting you know in case it got mixed with an older config or something similar!

41 minutes ago, triumphofhearts said:

@ZombeaverJust having a browse of the library - Attack of the Mutant Camels doesn't seem to respond to the control scheme like other titles. Joystick movement doesn't register, and I had the click the left stick (which I don't think has a function assigned?) to progress past the trainer page.

Just letting you know in case it got mixed with an older config or something similar!

Attack of the Mutant Camels is working correctly as-is. You probably switched ports by mistake (via L2/LT).

The left stick button is "N". The right stick button is "Y". These are there primarily for trainers. Please read the instructions in the opening post.

• 4 weeks later...

anyone have a magnet link for the torrent ?

this is on the dl site right now:

The-Eye suffered some hardware failure this week, marking our longest downtime since we launched. We're not going anywhere but this accelerates a transition period we have been lulling in for awhile now. For the moment and while we work on what comes next we are only hosting data in support of the artificial intelligence and machine learning community. More information to follow, in the mean time join our discord and stay tuned.

AI/ML data located here.
~ P.S. All previously hosted data is safe.

I don't have a mirror currently. The Eye should be back before too long.

Work continues on the update. The next 100 games have been added, tested, and configured.

747 Flight Simulator
ACE (Air Combat Emulator) [Not in the DB]
Amulet, The
Ballyhoo
Battle for Midway
Battle of Britain
Bombo
Captain Kidd
Codename-Mat II
Colossus Chess 4
Comet Game, The
Cops 'N' Robbers
Crazy Comets
Crusade in Europe
Death Wake
Decision in the Desert
Deus Ex Machina
Dicky's Diamonds
Dynamite Dan
FA Cup Football
Faerie
Falklands 82
Field of Fire
Flight Path 737
Force, The
Geoff Capes' Strongman Challenge
Germany 1985
Gyroscope
HardBall!
Ice Station Zero
Isle of the Cursed Prophet
Iwo Jima
Knights of the Desert
Kong (Sputnik World) [Not in the DB]
Lady Pac
Lord of the Rings [DB note: this is not Fellowship of the Ring, this is a separate game - Fellowship of the Ring is this game and Lord of the Rings is this game but searching for this one just pulls Fellowship of the Ring]
Lost Realms of Murkasada
Lost Tomb
Lucifer's Realm
Magician's Ball, The
Max Headroom
Metabolis
Mission Asteroid
Mr. Mephisto
Mugsy's Revenge
Murdlok [Not in the DB]
Ninja Carnage
Nonterraqueous
Norway 1985
Odyssey, The
One Bite Too Deep
Perry Mason - The Case of the Mandarin Murder
Phantom of the Asteroid
Ping Pong
Popeye (Piranha)
Quann Tulla
Quest for the Holy Grail
Radar Rat Race
Rats, The
Raven, The
Revs
RMS Titanic
Scalextric
Schizofrenia
Seas of Blood
Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, The
Skool Daze
Snow Queen, The
Solo Flight - Second Edition
Souls of Darkon
Space Pilot II
Speed Duel
Speed King
Spellbound (MAD)
Spellbreaker
Spitfire Ace
Spy's Demise
Starion
Steve Davis Snooker
Super Bowl XX
Suspect
Terrormolinos
Tigers in the Snow
Topper the Copper
Tour de France
Trollbound [Not in the DB]
Ulysses and the Golden Fleece
Vagan Attack
Who Dares Wins II
Wild West
William Wobbler
Willow Pattern
Wishbringer
Wizard and the Princess, The
Wizard's Lair
World Cup II
World Cup Soccer
Yabba Dabba Doo
Zyto
Zzzz

All 200 of the current new games have been added to LB, 3D boxes created, and added to playlists in some cases. I parsed through all of the (4000+) new files in Ultimate Tape Archive V3.0 and pulled out, edited, and reformatted hundreds of new and upgraded manuals and covers. The total manual count is currently 1275 / 47.2% of the collection.

image.thumb.png.77c4ad54168b3e85ee3458f2671169f2.png

I discovered a neat program called Mpxplay which has now been incorporated into the magazines and individual reviews - it's an mp3 player that runs fully in CMD (I've used mpg123 for this previously but this one is nicer), has playlist support, crossfades, and even has a neat frequency visualizer in the CMD window. I've got it setup with a playlist of 50 SID tracks which will randomize each time it's started. I have it setup with a script so that you can display and hide the player as well as skip and pause tracks via the numpad while reading the magazines. It can be disabled outright if so desired through the configurator but I thought this was a pretty neat touch. It should be noted that this only works for the local magazines.

image.thumb.png.070ed51771cd4e4dcf39a3b3e1bf65b4.png

I've also created an updated game launcher bat which allows them to be generic/universal which helps simplify and streamline things going forward. I've gone back and replaced some of the existing ones but they won't all be replaced by the time of release - this doesn't actually hurt anything in any practical sense, it's just a backend thing. Thanks to Boohyaka of the eXo project for helping me work through how to create this!

image.thumb.png.09b4625c2ff561812eb6e03f4090e2be.png

Someone (who wished to remain anonymous) was kind enough to help me by creating a plugin which allows me to add the Zzap review additional apps in LB en masse which is going to save me a boatload of time so that's a huge relief. All of the review files are setup for all the remaining titles that will be added in this update, but not all of them are in yet as only 200 of the planned 500 games for this update are setup. Currently there are 1059 Zzap reviews hooked up but that total will be around 1300 once the rest of the games are added.

image.thumb.png.3c84e32ae35363b87d2fca58de888d34.png

Anyway, that's it for now! More to come.

• Like 9

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, the next 100 games are done. I've decided that for the remaining 200 games in the update I'm going to be hand picking from among the remaining missing games that were reviewed in Zzap - thus far I've just been going straight down the line in issue order and adding in any that were missing but that's made it turn into more of a slog than I really wanted as that includes a fair number of games that I ordinarily wouldn't gravitate to or include. I expected a certain amount of that but... I really don't want to add in any more strategy games, flight sims, quiz games, or football managers this go round. There are like 15+ new strategy games by SSI and co in this update and I swear they all feel like the same game. I don't have enough room at this point to include all of the missing games from Zzap in this update anyway (there will be about 450 left over), so I'm going to focus on stuff that I would ordinarily be interested in already and then gradually fill in the rest over subsequent updates. Honestly I think this will end up making both you guys and me happier in the process.

Latest one hundred games added, tested, and configured:

Ace 2088
Acro Jet
Alice in Wonderland
Altered Beast
Booty
Caverns of Eriban, The
Caves of Oberon, The
Collapse
Deactivators
Droids
Eddie Kid Jump Challenge
Formula 1 Simulator
Galaga
Gates of the Ancient
GBA Championship Basketball - Two-on-Two
Genius 3 [Not in the DB]
Granny's Cleaning Day [Not in the DB]
Graviton
Head Coach
Hercules
HES Games
Jet Strike Mission
Johnny Reb II
Knight Rider
Lapis Philosophorum - The Philosopher's Stone
Las Vegas Video Poker
Legions of Death
Mandragore
Mercenary - The Second City
Miami Dice
Mind Pursuit
Moon Shuttle
Motor Mania
Mountain King
Mr. TNT
Mystery Voyage
Necromancer
Neutral Zone
Night Knight
NOMAD
Ollie's Follies
Ollo
Ollo II
Omega Race
Pitstop
Polar Pierre
Powerplay - The Game of the Gods
Price of Magik, The
Psycho Pigs UXB
Questprobe I - The Incredible Hulk
Questprobe III - The Fantastic Four
Rebel Planet
Red Max
Redhawk
Return of the Space Warriors
RodMan [Not in the DB]
Room Ten
Rootin' Tootin'
Saboteur
Saboteur II
Samantha Fox Strip Poker
Sammy Lightfoot
Scrolls of Abadon, The
Seabase Delta
Seafox
Serpentine
Shogun
Slicks
Solar Fox
Sorcery
Southern Belle
Space Panic
Spherical
Spiky Harold
Split Personalities
Star Paws
Stix
Storm
Street Surfer
Superstar Ping-Pong
Tarkus [Not in the DB]
Thai Boxing
Touchdown Football
Toy Bizarre
Trap
Trap Door, The
Triaxos
Trivial Pursuit
Tubular Bells
Very Big Cave Adventure, The
Nam
WAR
Way of the Tiger
Wing Commander
Winter Camp
Wizard of Id's Wiztype, The
Wizard's Pet, The
World Cup Carnival
Zone Ranger
Zybex

I've also created a playlist for all the games currently in the collection that have Zzap reviews so those will all be quickly accessible in one place.

image.thumb.png.1b20ad443b39b98eafb39b4f31153f8a.png

I have about 150 of the remaining 200 slots picked out already, so if anyone has any specific requests for this update, please get them in now.

More to come!

Also, seeing as The-Eye is still down, I wanted to post a mirror of the v0.35 torrent that someone on my Discord found. It's located here:

https://www.btdig.com/c2718c9fe05c72780aa02fa2a42bc8b852f0cd0f/c64-dreams

• Like 8

Hey Zomb,

since you’re asking, I’d like to request a few games that I couldn't find in your collection:

Colossal Cave Adventure
Exploding Fist + (aka Fist +)
Match Day II
Red Storm Rising
Silent Shadow
Uridium Plus & Paradroid: Competition Edition
Who Dares Wins

I also want to thank you for maintaining and sharing this project here. You put hundreds, if not thousands, of hours work into this, so I don’t have to, I appreciate that! :)

1 hour ago, CriticalCid said:

Hey Zomb,

since you’re asking, I’d like to request a few games that I couldn't find in your collection:

Colossal Cave Adventure
Exploding Fist + (aka Fist +)
Match Day II
Red Storm Rising
Silent Shadow
Uridium Plus & Paradroid: Competition Edition
Who Dares Wins

You got it! I'll add all those in the next batch.

I actually had Exploding Fist+ on the list for the next batch already and when I added in Who Dares Wins II in one of the previous ones I realized I didn't have the first one (the second one was reviewed in Zzap, the first one wasn't) so I knew I needed to eventually add it as well.

1 hour ago, CriticalCid said:

I also want to thank you for maintaining and sharing this project here. You put hundreds, if not thousands, of hours work into this, so I don’t have to, I appreciate that! :)

You're very welcome! (and it's definitely thousands at this point lol)

• Like 8

is the future build going to have a lot changes that will make it easier to import into a launchbox running setup?  I ask cause I currently have the version 35 build installed/imported into my LB setup and wondering if the new build will break my  current setup or will it be as simple as just copy and replace under the same folders as before...please let us know cause I am sure this question will come up again....thanks.

On 11/18/2021 at 5:01 PM, eli517 said:

is the future build going to have a lot changes that will make it easier to import into a launchbox running setup?  I ask cause I currently have the version 35 build installed/imported into my LB setup and wondering if the new build will break my  current setup or will it be as simple as just copy and replace under the same folders as before...please let us know cause I am sure this question will come up again....thanks.

The process will be the same as in the past versions. There will be a list of files that you'll need to copy over located at C64 Dreams\C64 Dreams\Docs\Files to Import.txt and data to paste into the parents and platforms xmls (if you've done this previously you could technically skip this part and just associate the new ones manually, as long as you know how to assign parents in LB, the only new ones from v0.35 will be "Best Of - Vol. 6", "Best Of - Vol. 7", and "Zzap Reviewed", they would both just need to be assigned to "Games" as shown below; the platforms xml is unchanged from v0.35). You'll want to delete the old folders first so that you get rid of any redundant files (sometimes library titles change slightly, for example, so the media names change with them).

image.thumb.png.e847457509fa05cf4af73b88c875c734.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, xasiklas said:

Hello there, the-eye has been down for over a month now, any chance the torrent be uploaded someplace else? Thank you for all your work

I listed an alternative at the bottom of this post: https://forums.launchbox-app.com/topic/49324-c64-dreams-massive-curated-c64-collection/?do=findComment&comment=396075

It doesn't use any one database for naming. It's a combination of GB64, Mobygames, LBGDB, etc. The titles are (almost) all PAL (i.e. Thing Bounces Back rather than Coil Cop) but there's going to be some slight variation from any one database.

I would highly discourage you from attempting to strip out/merge this with anything else. I've spent literally years of my life getting this stuff setup in such a way that it provides as ideal an experience as possible for each game. They are not designed to be pulled out like that. If you have existing games that you want added to C64 Dreams, my suggestion would be to provide a list of what it is that you want and I can add them in. If it's something you want to play, chances are it's something someone else will want to play.

And in the interim, I provide the option to add in your own games with the included automation tools (C64 Dreams\C64 Dream\Utilities\Creation Tools). You just drag your .d64s, .t64s, etc. onto the Automator and then it'll create things as needed, you just have to move the resultant folders to the Games folder and then start the .vbs file within. You may still have to set them up to change the joystick port, enable truedrive, or adjust cropping however, but that's not too difficult.

• Like 3

On 12/9/2021 at 1:23 AM, Zombeaver said:

I would highly discourage you from attempting to strip out/merge this with anything else.

I don't intend to mess anything up. I just want to add many custom fields to the existing games. And to do that, the names have to agree. I don't even need to change the names. Just match them and add metadata so that it is consistent with the rest of my collection (other platforms) etc.

The option to add your own games is a great idea, however.

Keep it up. Thank you!