LaunchBox Community Forums

C64 Dreams (massive curated C64 collection)

Zombeaver

7 minutes ago, Steel said:

aaaah, sorry ....

i have a second controller connected, that was recognized as first one in retroarch. I change this and now it works. It stays at "7" ....

Really sorry ... my fault.

Thanks very much for the help.

Strange thing, that i could use all other functions then ...but ok.

Oh, well glad it's sorted in any case. 🙂

7 minutes ago, Steel said:

One thing to do ......i have to set the keyboard to QWERTZ .....i don't have an US one...

Hmm. I'll have to get back to you on that one. I'll ask sonninnos about it and see what he says. I'm not sure if that's something that would be adjusted in some base Retroarch setting or if there's maybe a core option to accomodate it.

i think i know, how to do it ....i have to set vice option "Keyboard Keymap" to "symbolic" ...just have to find the setting ...

Another prob ....i started again a game to check keyboard setting and my controllers were again in wrong order ....does it not save this?

14 minutes ago, Steel said:

Another prob ....i started again a game to check keyboard setting and my controllers were again in wrong order ....does it not save this?

That has nothing to do with Retroarch. It's the way that Windows rather arbitrarily assigns controller numbers. Retroarch is only picking up whatever Windows is telling it.

Ok, i'll disconnect the other controller .....play most of the time alone, anyway ....
There seems to be a tool, that can force the order .....maybe i'll try this the next days ....

Thanks for your help. Now back to RL and have some beers in the pub 🍺

19 minutes ago, Steel said:

Ok, i'll disconnect the other controller .....play most of the time alone, anyway ....
There seems to be a tool, that can force the order .....maybe i'll try this the next days ....

Something that may help on that front though is enabling the setting to allow all controllers to control Retroarch. I've never needed it before but it might help in this case (I'm not 100% certain that it will, but it might). The problem is, that option was removed quite a while back because it didn't work correctly and was only reimplemented in November 2021, which is newer than the build that's used in v0.45 (RA 1.9.4). Attached below is my compiled version of RA 1.10 (I have to custom compile them to maintain cg shader support) which is what will be used in the next version. Keep in mind that this is not what was used for testing in v0.45 so I can't guarantee that there won't be any unforseen bugs (though there shouldn't be).

Retroarch 1.10-cg-al.7z

Drop these in and overwrite the files in C64 Dreams\C64 Dreams\Retroarch. Then open retroarch.cfg in a text editor and search for the line all_users_control_menu and change it from "false" to "true". That might fix it.

If you decide you want to revert to 1.9.4 later you can find it in the C64 Dreams\C64 Dreams\Retroarch\!Retroarch Versions folder.

Wow!  What an amazing project.  A big thanks for your hard work and being super organized.  I grew up with both the C64 and Atari 800XL.  I still have the Atari and disks in a box somewhere in my garage.  ;)

Super excited to try this out.  Sadly I am having some issues.  Is this the right place for questions? 

I downloaded, unzipped both as directed.  Merged the magazines.  I run Launchbox and it looks amazing.  I can see all the boxes, sorted meticulously.  When I try to run anything icons show up on the bottom as seen on the attached, then they disappear.  Nothing else happens.  

My setup in case it helps:  My pc is not the fastest (does this require power?).  I have a 8BotDuo Arcade Stick as a controller.  I have another instance of Launch Box installed with MAME games.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Screenshot 2022-02-22 182702.jpg

I'm not really sure what to suggest. I'm not sure why Retroarch wouldn't be loading when you try to start a game then. The included default settings are about as lean / non-hardware-intensive as I can make them. You could maybe try changing the shader to color corrections only in the Configurator, but there isn't a whole lot else to drop the hardware requirements more (and the default shader isn't very demanding to begin with).

Amazing project. Truly a work of love and just seeing it, using it in my launchbox that hard work just oozes out of every crevice.
You sir are a true legend.

Also, looking at the games you favorited...most of them correspond with the games I played when I was young.
I was looking to see if all my own favorites were available by browsing through the internet archive
https://archive.org/details/C64Gamevideoarchive?&sort=-week&page=4

Most were luckily already added.

Some of the games I played when I was young (Lady Tut, Loco, Pyjamarama, Neptune's Daughter, Pegasis, Lazarian, Arctic Shipwreck, Tales of the Arabian Nights,...) were missing but I guess they will come in the next version updates.🧐

For myself, cause I use Big Box...I have been working on adding most of the videos I could find and using 'Renamer' to make them correspond to the folder names.
As source I use emumovies and internetarchive to find most of them. If you also have the videos I would recommend you also include them in your next updates cause I'm guessing most users here use Big Box.

I was looking to upgrade the included Retroarch to version 1.10 cause I am using the Reflection Mega Bezel combined with the Commodore Bezels. (Only for faster PC's cause they do add some cpu requires)

Anyway, your work is much appreciated. Really looking forward to seeing the next updates and will most definitely be following the progress.

Edited by launchretrogirl2562

Hi everyone, 

I just learned about this awesome project from the latest "Sprite Castle" podcast from Rob O'hara.  I am fluent in C64, but I have very little experience using Launchbox.  

I am running into a problem in that the emulator is going full-screen and the rainbow borders are overlaying the games.  How would I fix this so the 64 screen maintains the right aspect ratio?

My display is 2880 X 1920 (Surface Pro).

Screenshot (10).png

On 2/26/2022 at 7:05 PM, davidmt said:

Hi everyone, 

I just learned about this awesome project from the latest "Sprite Castle" podcast from Rob O'hara.  I am fluent in C64, but I have very little experience using Launchbox.  

I am running into a problem in that the emulator is going full-screen and the rainbow borders are overlaying the games.  How would I fix this so the 64 screen maintains the right aspect ratio?

My display is 2880 X 1920 (Surface Pro).

Screenshot (10).png

Please refer to the video. This is covered there.

holy crap, this is amazing!!!  Ive tried several emulators and just havnt been able to get them to work right. Question, sorry if it has been asked/answered but searched through several pages and did see it; using Big box and am using an arcade stick, having trouble getting all the keys mapped to work right, "Yes" "No" Space, and quitting.  Do I just go into Retroarch in C64Dreams folder and change the hotkeys section?  

Again, this is so awesome and brings me back to my childhood and they load fast!  No more putting Ghostbusters in and waiting 25 minutes for it to load... 

On 2/26/2022 at 2:09 PM, RabidRich said:

I have an 8bitDo Arcade Stick.  Works amazing with MAME Arcade Games.  How easy would it be to have this become the default for C64 Dreams?

On 2/28/2022 at 7:13 PM, discostu58 said:

am using an arcade stick, having trouble getting all the keys mapped to work right, "Yes" "No" Space, and quitting.

An arcade stick isn't really going to work for this. You're not going to have access to everything necessary there, even if you were to go out of your way to try to remap things (which wouldn't be a simple affair to begin with). You're not going to have L3, R3, or the right stick. All of which are used. This is designed for a controller, and uses literally every input available there.

On 2/26/2022 at 2:31 PM, launchretrogirl2562 said:

For myself, cause I use Big Box...I have been working on adding most of the videos I could find and using 'Renamer' to make them correspond to the folder names.
As source I use emumovies and internetarchive to find most of them. If you also have the videos I would recommend you also include them in your next updates cause I'm guessing most users here use Big Box.

The plan is to create them from scratch for the project eventually. What few are on emumovies are hot garbage frankly.

• Like 1

Could you elaborate a bit about how you configure the controls for each game?

I tried to add some games and re-used a couple config files.
For instance, I tried to add pyjamarama....so I checked a similar game (config wise) and decided Everyone's a Wally is pretty similar.
Then I took the files in that game's directory and changed it to pyjamarama.

I checked in the retroarch directory for any *.opt files or remap files specifically for Everyone's a Wally but didnt find any.

So according to my logic pyjamarama should work with my controller. 😄

Sadly...that didnt work.

I noticed in the vbs or cmd it calls controller.exe (or variants of controller.exe)
But I cannot find any custom configs for that tool.

So, can you explain a bit how you configure games to work with a standard xbox controller.
Or direct me to a link to your website where it is explained?

Much obliged 🙏

Thx for this awesome work!
I have one suggestion about the game 'Cabal' It´s one of the few game which use the borders for showing score, lives, the number of bombs left and the status bar. So you have to set Video / Zoom Mode to Off which crop the borders.
Maybe you can make a Content Core Override in case of a update (made it for myself) 😉