LaunchBox Community Forums

C64 Dreams (massive curated C64 collection)

Zombeaver

Namec is very nice - love it.

That said, it doesn't quite fit the current philosophy of C64D I'd say.

Having a monitor-like bezel, for C64 would mean that C64 borders should be included, else it doesn't look like a C64.

In C64D there is no "CRT monitor" emulation, so it can "get away" not having borders (for games that don't require them - Zomb knows these games).

Would I love a V1.0 that has this "mode"? I definitely would. But I guess that's far.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/30/2022 at 11:01 PM, Zombeaver said:

Glad you're enjoying it @dan1981football! That's great to hear.

It's no problem at all, I've added those to my to-do list for the next version.

While on the subject, to give people a status update, I've finished parsing through all of "M", "N", and "O" in GB64 and am currently making my way through "P". This puts me at 28329 out of 45448 screenshots parsed / 62.3% of the way through GB64. As result, the next version will be 0.60. Between parsing GB64 and user-requests I currently have 489 / 500 games picked out thus far for the update. Some of these will end up getting removed once I get to the testing phase and it turns out that some of them are actually complete trash (this doesn't apply to specific user-requests, just the things that I pick out based on screenshot parsing), but probably not a ton. So the selection/curation process for the next update is almost done at this point. That doesn't mean that the update itself is almost done, as there's a ton of work to be done after that selection process is finished, but it's progress nevertheless. With that said, I don't currently have any plans for any major feature changes / additions this go round unlike the last two updates (manuals and Zzap 64 integration) so the turnaround time should be a fair bit shorter overall with this update.

Hi Zombeaver...what's the latest status working towards v0.60? Last u mentioned u were working through "P" and at 62%.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/16/2022 at 9:45 PM, launchretrogirl2562 said:

Hi Zombeaver...what's the latest status working towards v0.60? Last u mentioned u were working through "P" and at 62%.

It's still 62% and will stay there for the remainder of v0.60 as the selection process is done. At this point all the games are picked out and sourced, I just have to test them all and make any config changes as needed. I've tested 70 of them so far. Things have kindof slowed down lately though as I changed IRL jobs about a month ago and it's taken some time to become comfortable enough with it that I don't find the workload overwhelming. In fact I still wouldn't say I'm quite there yet.

2 hours ago, Ashencos said:

I have a problem I extracted the folder c64 dreams I click on the launc box, the games open to me, I load a game on the benro screen goes back to home?

I'm not sure what you're saying/asking here to be honest.

• Thanks 1

Are you saying that you start launchbox, select a game and the game doesn't start but goes to a black screen and then goes back to home screen (list of games)?

What is your PC configuration and your screen resolution?

5 hours ago, Ashencos said:

only games screen black

This doesn't really tell me much of anything.

Is there audio but no video?

Is Retroarch starting?

It sounds like either Retroarch isn't starting at all or there's something wrong with the video, likely due to your hardware.

• 1 month later...

Would this collection work on my RG351MP handheld if I transfer the roms and put the retroarch per game configurations in the correct folder? I know it won't have all the features (manuals, background music etc.) but I just want to know if all the games would be properly mapped to the controller.

• 3 weeks later...

First of all, let me say that this thing is fantastic.  Thank you for your efforts.  I'm on 0.45 at the moment, Windows 10.

That being said, I'm having a bit of an odd issue with a joystick.  I'm using a Retronic Design D-SUB9 -> USB joystick adaptor with my (original) Competition Pro 5000.  It works great - highly recommended - ...but for one small thing.

Let me tell you what I know for sure:

• It all works fine in the "Set Up USB Game Controller" screen in Win10 and/or with any other controller testers I've tried.
  • It all works fine in any Amiga emulator I've tried (WinUAE, FS-UAE).
  • It all works fine in any standalone C64 emulator I've tried (Vice64sc, CCS64).
  • It all works fine in any default, out-of-the-box RetroArch installation I've tried (Vice64sc core).
  • It all works fine in C64 Dreams out of the box... *EXCEPT* that up and down are reversed.  All other USB joysticks and control pads (Xbox360 wired) I've tested work perfectly.

I can change the value of "input_player1_down_axis" to "+1" and "input_player1_up_axis" to "+1" in ..\C64 Dreams\RetroArch\retroarch.cfg and that "fixes" the issue, but then every other controller is reversed too (as one would expect).

So my question is:  amongst the multitude of config files and remap files for RetroArch and cores and whatnot, what should I look for and  what values should I change to fix this issue with this specific adaptor/joystick in this specific repackaging of RetroArch?

Thank you again.  I tell you, issue notwithstanding, the feeling of playing a C64 game on a modern PC and a modern monitor with the same joystick one used back in 1983 really is something else.  :)  I hope we can come up with a solution.  I will, of course, keep looking in the meantime.

You would have to create/update an autoconfig for that specific controller. When you connect a controller in Retroarch it will say something like [Controller Name] Connected for Player 1. You can specify controls for a specific controller as indicated by that name. In Retroarch terms these are called autoconfigs. You can find more info on them here: https://www.retroarch.com/index.php?page=controller-autoconfig

@LineOf7s Did you get this to work also with player 2? Thats a major problem for me. I have two "Speedlink Competition Pro USB" and with Player 1 everything is fine, but Player two seems to use the preconfigured xbox-config and up and down is switched (like your player 1). I can't get it with "Autoconfig" to work properly. Retroarch seems to treat the player 2 config differently. I don't know... Any help is appreciated! Thanks ALOT!

Edited by hoderer

46 minutes ago, hoderer said:

@LineOf7s Did you get this to work also with player 2? Thats a major problem for me. I have two "Speedlink Competition Pro USB" and with Player 1 everything is fine, but Player two seems to use the preconfigured xbox-config and up and down is switched (like your player 1). I can't get it with "Autoconfig" to work properly. Retroarch seems to treat the player 2 config differently. I don't know... Any help is appreciated! Thanks ALOT!

I only saw the Autoconfig suggestion a couple of hours ago, the link provided isn't especially comprehensive (so more digging involved, but at least I know what to look for) and I've been at work since.  So no, I haven't managed to get it to work yet.  :)

One thing I did notice is that, Autoconfig aside, my issues don't happen in a vanilla RetroArch installation (which is why I don't understand why any changes to C64 Dreams would affect anything in this regard).  My suggestion would be to grab RetroArch from the website (NOT the Steam version) and see how your joysticks run in that and if you get the same undesired behaviour.  If not then you know it's something C64 Dreams-specific and you can focus your efforts properly.  If it does do the same thing in vanilla RetroArch then you know it's likely nothing to do with C64 Dreams.

[edit]  Just tested Armalyte in C64 Dreams with a couple of wired Xbox 360 controllers.  2-player worked a treat, so I can confirm it's not inherently a problem (though certainly if 2-player was b0rked someone would have mentioned it by now  :) ).  So yeah, troubleshoot your specific issue as above.

Edited by LineOf7s

12 minutes ago, LineOf7s said:

Just tested Armalyte in C64 Dreams with a couple of wired Xbox 360 controllers.  2-player worked a treat, so I can confirm it's not inherently a problem (though certainly if 2-player was b0rked someone would have mentioned it by now  :) ).  So yeah, troubleshoot your specific issue as above.

Thanks alot for your quick reply, but Xbox controllers are always working. Devices which require a config change are the problem, but you're right: If that would be a problem in general, it would have been reported. I'll try my best in the next days and report.

I was looking for a curated collection of C64 games to add to my Retropie and C64 Dreams completely blows me away. Very impressive work. Since I use Retropie, I'm trying to figure out the best way to get this into there. At first I've tried just copying the game files over and letting a scrapper do its thing, but it seems to have a lot of misses and get really confused by the multiple disk files. My current attempt is to see if I can convert your impressive metadata from C64 Dreams using this script:

But I am running into issues, most likely related to the fact that I know next to nothing about LaunchBox. I need to provide the Platform name, and thats tripping up the script. I've tried Commodore 64 and just "Games" (based on the platform name listed in the C64 Dreams v0.45\C64 Dreams\Data\Platforms\Games.xml file. Neither is working.

Any ideas on how I might make this work or better suggestions on how to best add C64 Dreams to a Retropie based system?

Thanks again for all your hard work! Truly impressive.

Edited by fallenturtle