LaunchBox Community Forums

C64 Dreams (massive curated C64 collection)

Zombeaver

On 3/5/2022 at 1:38 PM, launchretrogirl2562 said:

Could you elaborate a bit about how you configure the controls for each game?

I tried to add some games and re-used a couple config files.
For instance, I tried to add pyjamarama....so I checked a similar game (config wise) and decided Everyone's a Wally is pretty similar.
Then I took the files in that game's directory and changed it to pyjamarama.

I checked in the retroarch directory for any *.opt files or remap files specifically for Everyone's a Wally but didnt find any.

So according to my logic pyjamarama should work with my controller. 😄

Sadly...that didnt work.

I noticed in the vbs or cmd it calls controller.exe (or variants of controller.exe)
But I cannot find any custom configs for that tool.

So, can you explain a bit how you configure games to work with a standard xbox controller.
Or direct me to a link to your website where it is explained?

Much obliged 🙏

Just take your .d64/.t64 etc. and put it in C64 Dreams\C64 Dreams\Utilities\Creation Tools and name it Pyjamarama, then drag it onto !Automator - Games.bat. Then take the resultant folder and put it in the C64 Dreams\C64 Dreams\Games folder and start the .vbs within. Whether or not it will need TrueDrive, what joystick port it will use, etc. I wouldn't know until I tested it out for myself.

The way the controls are customized depend on the situation. If all you need to do is change the joystick port, you'd just need to press Numpad Minus + F1, then (enter to proceed, LAlt for back) Options > Manage Core Options > Save Game Options then back to the options list, scroll to the bottom, and change the port from 2 to 1. Sometimes things are customized more than that, and not necessarily in Retroarch.

On 3/5/2022 at 11:03 PM, RetroRam said:

Thx for this awesome work!
I have one suggestion about the game 'Cabal' It´s one of the few game which use the borders for showing score, lives, the number of bombs left and the status bar. So you have to set Video / Zoom Mode to Off which crop the borders.
Maybe you can make a Content Core Override in case of a update (made it for myself) 😉

Yep, you're right. I have it corrected for the next version. You wouldn't want to set it to off though. You'd want to set it to Zoom Mode: Manual, Crop Top: 9, Crop Bottom: 10, Crop Left: 32, Crop Right: 32.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Zombeaver said:

Yep, you're right. I have it corrected for the next version. You wouldn't want to set it to off though. You'd want to set it to Zoom Mode: Manual, Crop Top: 9, Crop Bottom: 10, Crop Left: 32, Crop Right: 32.

Thx for explanation 🙂👍
I can't even imagine how much work you put into this project 🙈

• 2 weeks later...

I deleted my previous post, because I got most of it figured out. Sorry for bothering.

I successfully installed all of the commercial games and it works like a charm. Every day I understand and learn a little more about this great setup. I can't thank you enough. Going to donate later this day (it will be more than just a beer, you deserve it).

3 of the 30 commercial games don't have the right display size. I corrected it by editing the .opt-files of the following games:

- It's magic I & II
- Planet Golf

I thought it would be nice to add the possibility to play some games with my "Speedlink Competition Pro"-Joystick (for most games I use the preconfigured Xbox Joypad of course), but there seems to be a problem with player 2. Retroarch seems to handle that in a strange way. Is there a way to automatically load the "Speedlink Competition Pro"-Autoconfig-File for Player 2 without messing up the Xbox-Bindings? At the moment up and down and the fire-button is wrong with the 2nd Player Competition Pro. Player 1 is all fine. When the "Speedlink Compeition Pro" is detected it just loads the right bindings, but this doesnt work with player 2. I messed things up more than one time (retroarch drives me crazy!), so I hope someone has a hint for me.

And taking screenshots won't work. The screenshot-folder in retroarch is empty after taking one.

Thanks alot!

It's Magic I and II and Planet Golf have the correct display size - they use custom cropping because those games use the border space. You should not change them. If you use the same cropping as other games you'll be cutting off some of those games.

I'm not really sure what to tell you about the Competition Pro as I don't have one to test. It's more than likely going to come down to the auto config though. You may need to delete the existing one for that joystick and create a new one.

Screenshots are saved to each game's folder, not the screenshot folder.

7 hours ago, marcosgaming said:

Hi, collection it's complete now ? I can download and try all games ? I read that arrive letter "O" it's real ?

Where i find all complete collection ? Thanks for all!!! You are Genious !!!!

Probably the maker of the collection will explain better, but since I am here...

The collection is as complete as it can be for the version. (I hear new version is coming soon)
It's not just a letter or up to a letter.
BUT what he does, except personal favorites, favorite requests of other people, well known titles that just went in immediately because of that and any other game that comes to Zomb's attention... except all these, he is using GB64 as the basis of "completing" the collection.
In other word except all the above "out of sync" additions, he also parses GB64 letter by letter (reaching Z will mark version 1.0 probably) and adds from GB64 ALSO.

So getting it now, is "complete" and perfectly usable for the current status of the project, not "complete" in the sense of the final target Zomb has set.

I want again to remind of the video sub-project (@Zombeaver maybe add this in first post?), that currently has two volunteers (and one has RL issues that slowed things down) and certainly needs more. 

Edited by NLS
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, marcosgaming said:

Hi, I have downloaded c64 dreams project from torrent last version 0.45 in Launchbox folders. Now I unzipped files. But I have already Launchbox installed on my pc. Which files and folders I must overwrite for add correctly c64 platforms with games collection? Thanks. 

First page of this thread.

Hi, I have already my Launchbox collection with all platforms and I would add this, Commodore 64.

I see the guide at first page and all it's ok but I would use only games (not demos cene, sid, magazines,sid etc..) and I would organize as always I do, withe folder games in My directory Launchbox\Games\Commodore 64. 

And for rest? If I would use my retroarch maybe I will need to set all configuration shaders etc.. and I don't want this. Maybe I will prefer to use this Retroarch folder renaming in Retroarch (for C64) in directory Launchbox\Emulators

It's difficult to change names and directories of all structure? What I need for to do this? It's possible? 

Now scummvm and ms-dos too are perfectly in Launchbox\Games\

Thanks for answer and thanks to zombeaver for all this. ❤️🙏🏾

4 hours ago, marcosgaming said:

It's possible? 

No.

There are import instructions linked in the opening post. Follow them. They won't be added to a Commodore 64 platform. It's a separate platform category. C64 Dreams is the platform category, Games (as well as SID, Magazines, etc.) is the platform and there are playlists below that. If you don't want to import the non-games platforms you don't have to.

You cannot use your own RetroArch, you cannot change the structure. If you do, it will break everything. If you want to do your own thing and grab a bunch of roms, just get GB64. This is not that.

1 hour ago, Zombeaver said:

No.

Ci sono istruzioni di importazione collegate nel post di apertura. Seguili. Non verranno aggiunti a una piattaforma Commodore 64. È una categoria di piattaforma separata. C64 Dreams è la categoria della piattaforma, Giochi (oltre a SID, Riviste, ecc.) è la piattaforma e ci sono playlist sotto di essa. Se non vuoi importare le piattaforme non di gioco non è necessario.