LaunchBox Community Forums

A Banner Theme Concept

faeran

Just wanted to share a video of a theme I've been working on. It started with the idea of seeing if I could get BigBox to run a theme with big, vertical banners as the main showcase. It has turned into a fun project, where I've been able to turn it into a functional theme that I'm currently using as my main. The theme itself uses custom made vertical banners for both platforms and games, which means a lot of work for me to populate banners for every game in my library.

Here's the video showcasing some of it in action.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, bundangdon said:

Wow, another very nice looking theme! I'm not sure if it's just me, but it would probably look better without the controllers in the middle, to give it a little more clean/polished look

Thanks. Unfortunately, the banners I'm creating are too far along to change now. I like seeing them, especially for the platforms I'm not too familiar with. However, anyone can create banners, they are just an image (384x1080) and not technically part of the theme.

6 hours ago, Rincewind said:

Really like the Platform view, with the game view could the controller only display on the selected game or is it part of the banner itself?

Yes, the controller is just part of the banner images I've put together.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, bbweiners said:

@faeran This looks cool. I'm assuming this uses the wheel for navigation. (I'm not sure how else you'd do it). So my question is, how do you get the wheel images to be so clear? Any time that I try to make a wheel image large like you have, it always looks blurry.

Thanks! 

Thanks @bbweiners. You are right. Just add MaxVerticalImageResolutionOverride into your CoverFlow, and play around with a suitable number to match your images.

• Thanks 1

On 6/8/2019 at 4:54 AM, bbweiners said:

@faeran This looks cool. I'm assuming this uses the wheel for navigation. (I'm not sure how else you'd do it). So my question is, how do you get the wheel images to be so clear? Any time that I try to make a wheel image large like you have, it always looks blurry.

Thanks! 

you will have to resize all of your images to the same size and do note a higher value of MaxVerticalImageResolutionOverride does not mean it will not make it less blurry, though from my understanding it should based on below values. If you decide to use your images in another view such as TextGamesView they will still be blurry possibly, in my case they were and I created another folder with the same images and just referenced them in a separate view.

Here are the default settings based on the user's configuration

{ "100", Strings.ValueLowestFastest },
{ "200", Strings.ValueLowFaster },
{ "400", Strings.ValueMediumFast },
{ "600", Strings.ValueHighSlower },
{ "800", Strings.ValueHighestSlowest }

Edited by wallmachine

On 6/8/2019 at 3:56 PM, wallmachine said:

you will have to resize all of your images to the same size and do note a higher value of MaxVerticalImageResolutionOverride does not mean it will not make it less blurry, though from my understanding it should based on below values. If you decide to use your images in another view such as TextGamesView they will still be blurry possibly, in my case they were and I created another folder with the same images and just referenced them in a separate view.

Here are the default settings based on the user's configuration

{ "100", Strings.ValueLowestFastest },
{ "200", Strings.ValueLowFaster },
{ "400", Strings.ValueMediumFast },
{ "600", Strings.ValueHighSlower },
{ "800", Strings.ValueHighestSlowest }

@wallmachine That makes sense. Thanks!

On 6/8/2019 at 5:11 PM, MetalRaven said:

is this theme available for everyone yet? do you have plans to release it soon? thanks.

It's not currently available. It's not really a theme for every situation, as it requires custom banners for every game in your library.

I've completed an alternate game view that includes video playback, and the text list view. Here's a video showing them off.

4 hours ago, faeran said:

It's not currently available. It's not really a theme for every situation, as it requires custom banners for every game in your library.

I've completed an alternate game view that includes video playback, and the text list view. Here's a video showing them off.

I understand now. This is very cool to look at, but creating a banner for every game cld be an endless process. When I first saw this banner theme, I wanted to only use it for the  platform selection screen, I thought it would look very neat!

Also, after reading everyone's comments above, I tried looking for the doc./script that was mentioned, but unfortunately I cldnt find it.  If this does become some form of a theme in the near future, you bet I will download it for my bigbox.

Thanks.