LaunchBox Community Forums
robmich

MAME Controller Setting

MAME losing it's controller settings is a known issue and most of the "fixes" don't seem to do it for me.  The biggest problem is to make sure that the controller (Wireless Xbox One) is turned on prior to selecting a MAME game.  So I am looking for a way to "remind" everyone to do so.  Does LB have a way to me to add a Pop up or a screen that after you go to MAME, select a game, select play but BEFORE MAME is actually started, everything pauses, a pop-up comes up stating "Make sure you controller is on", any button to continue".  This would have high WAF.  And yes, if you always use the controller to move around, there would not be an issue, but remember I indicated WAF.  It is pointless to even try to explain that.... lol

Rob

@robmichyou can always set the Default.CFG in the MAME CFG folder as read only after you setup the way wanted.  It will not overwrite then. Haven't heard that doesn't work (although "hacky"). 

There are various threads discussing this with one recent here :

The losing controller settings "issue" is by design.  That said, there are a few workable solutions to fix that.  The simplest way making default.cfg Read Only.  Beyond that, the controller does need to be loaded (turned on) before Mame starts.

You could create an AutoHotKey script and set it to run before a game launches that will display a MsgBox or SplashImage stating what you said.

The "read only" solution just doesn't seem to work 100%.  I am not a good scripter.  If anyone is and wants to donate to the cause, it would be appreciated.

Rob

1 hour ago, robmich said:

The "read only" solution just doesn't seem to work 100%.

It should in that if the controller is NOT plugged in, the default.cfg file you painstakingly created by setting all the controller inputs when the controller was plugged in, exited Mame and made it Read Only, it won't be overwritten to 'default' (stock inputs only) if you start Mame without the controller plugged in. Granted you still need to exit, turn on the controller then restart.  If that truly doesn't seem to 100% protect your cfg file, follow the last paragraph in this post.  (click "JoeViking245 replied to a topic")

I just stress tested having a script (with a MsgBox, then wait for user to press a key before continuing) Automatically Run Before Main Application and it doesn't work fully as intended. It'll show the MsgBox and wait for you to press a key but at the same time continue to load the game.  Which is actually the way it should work.  Just doesn't help in this situation.  

So no. LB doesn't check to make sure your controller is plugged in/turned on.  And if you look at the link @DOS76 referenced, I don't believe there's a reasonably simple way that Jason could program that in to cover the 1000's (10's of 1000's?) of possibilities of detectable devices, and that one of them is actually the controller (device) you're intending to use.

As a Hail Mary, edit the Startup Theme for "Arcade" so that is says/shows "Dude. If you controller's not turned on, hit Escape NOW!" and increase the Startup Load Delay a little (5+ seconds?).  :) 

Or... start a game, slap yourself in the forehead "DOH!", hit Escape, turn on the controller and restart the game. 😁

• Like 1