LaunchBox Community Forums

Which controller do you use?

JaysArcade

Which controller do you use?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. What is your controller of choice?

• XBOX ONE
    • PS4
    • XBOX 360
    • PS3
    • XBOX ONE Hori
    • PS4 Hori
    • Switch controller
    • Hori Fighting Commander (6 face buttons, 4 shoulder buttons) XBOX
    • Hori Fighting Commander (6 face buttons, 4 shoulder buttons) PS
    • Hori - Other
    • 8Bitdo Super Nintendo Variant with analog sticks (SN30, SN30 Pro)
    • 8Bitdo Sega - 6 face buttons - No analog sticks (M30)
    • 8Bitdo - Other

What is your controller of choice? I'm less interested in emulator specific controllers (Nintendo 64 anyone?) or cabinet control panel options (Tankstick, etc) but would like to know what you find to be the best all encompassing controller option for controlling everything you have. If you don't see yours listed (I'm sure there are a few), let me know below and I'll add it to the poll.

Edited by JaysArcade

I found there is nothing that works best for all so I use 2 controllers.

I use an XBone controller for systems that require analog stick controls and for non analog stick controller based systems I use the Hori Fight Commander with 6 face buttons and 4 shoulder buttons.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Lordmonkus said:

....for systems that require analog stick controls and for non analog stick controller based systems I use the Hori Fight Commander with 6 face buttons and 4 shoulder buttons.

Good idea. I just added it as an option. I was using Xbox 360 controllers but finally bought an XBone to see how I like it. So far, the directionals seem to work a lot better than they did on the 360 which was really my only complaint with it. My son says the XBOne has a better grip/feel than the 360, but I haven't really noticed too much. 

Yeah I prefer the XBone controller over the 360 one after getting used to it. The d-pad is better but still not great, the d-pad on the 360 one is just awful. The analog sticks thumb pad size took a little getting used to since they feel a little smaller but now I am used to it and it doesn't matter.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Charco said:

I use an 8bitdo SF30 Pro.

Same here. Among all of the controllers I've owned (and I've owned quite a few) the SF30 Pro is the best, and you can assign the Nintendo Switch buttons on it to things like "pause", "exit" and more :)

Edited by bundangdon
  • Like 1

Oh yeah. I forgot about these. I actually have one that I messed around with on my RetroPi bartop. I had connection issues with it so I threw it in a drawer and kind of forgot about it. I need to look into setting it up on my BigBox cabinet as an extra controller. I will add them to the list.

Edited by JaysArcade

• 2 weeks later...

Aren't all the XBox One controllers the same except for the Elite model ?

If I do a search there is no such thing as an "XBox One S" controller, just XBox One with all the colour variants, even the Xbox One controller I have for my PC has bluetooth.

So if you got some information proving otherwise I would love to see it.

Ok fair enough but I hardly consider them to be enough of a difference to really distinguish them in a poll like this.

Introduced with Xbox One S.Externally distinguished from earlier versions by texture & color of plastic surrounding Xbox home button, which now matches the rest of the controller body.

This is extremely trivial stuff, the shape of the controller and buttons are identical.

1 minute ago, Lordmonkus said:

Ok fair enough but I hardly consider them to be enough of a difference to really distinguish them in a poll like this.

Introduced with Xbox One S.Externally distinguished from earlier versions by texture & color of plastic surrounding Xbox home button, which now matches the rest of the controller body.

This is extremely trivial stuff, the shape of the controller and buttons are identical.

You could argue that, and maybe others feel the same way, but personally I don't. It might be small, but I prefer it considerably. Plus the bluetooth mainly did it for me, as I didnt want to have to buy an extra USB adapter to use it wirelessly on my computer (even though i recently remembered I had a magic-ns, which can be used as one anyway, haha ?). Oh plus its white... I do now realise you can get other colours though. Still... the white is my favourite.

4 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

Plus, unless you have tried both, one after the other, you may not actually appreciate the difference...

I still say the differences aren't worth noting for a poll like this, it would be like comparing a Dual Shock to a Dual Shock 2 to a Dual Shock 3, for all intents and purposes they are identical in the way the controller feels and functions in terms of its analog sticks and d-pads.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

I still say the differences aren't worth noting for a poll like this, it would be like comparing a Dual Shock to a Dual Shock 2 to a Dual Shock 3, for all intents and purposes they are identical in the way the controller feels and functions in terms of its analog sticks and d-pads.

Fair enough, I guess you have a point. I guess becasue it made all the difference to me, I expected the same for others. I suppose your right though in regards to it mostly being the same...

(Although defintely better ?)