LaunchBox Community Forums

Mr. RetroLust's - Mame 4K - Lights Out - Realistic Bezels

Mr. RetroLust

Hey... these are great.  I made some bezels a couple years back and it was a time consuming project... so, respect for putting this together.  I'm going to check out the first pack now, but the downloads are really slow.

Has anyone thought of putting some bezel packs on the LB media downloads? 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Drybonz said:

Hey... these are great.  I made some bezels a couple years back and it was a time consuming project... so, respect for putting this together.  I'm going to check out the first pack now, but the downloads are really slow.

Has anyone thought of putting some bezel packs on the LB media downloads? 

Thanks glad you like :)  Download speed is good over here. As far as I know the scraper for launchbox doesnt do bezels.

44 minutes ago, Mr. RetroLust said:

Thanks glad you like :)  Download speed is good over here. As far as I know the scraper for launchbox doesnt do bezels.

I got the first pack downloaded and checked them out... you've done a great job on these.  I admit I'm not crazy about the scratched glass look, but that's just personal preference... you definitely have the most realistic looking pack I have seen anywhere.  I see the real beauty of them in the "full" mode (instead of cropped).  You really have the nostalgia element nailed, for sure.

• Thanks 1

They are indeed fantastic, personally I love the reflections and the scratches really adds to the nostalgia for me, although on my favourite games I have used photo shop to reduce the strength of the effect by about a 3rd, a little less distracting for actual gameplay for me. Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing these. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Djronz said:

on my favourite games I have used photo shop to reduce the strength of the effect by about a 3rd, a little less distracting for actual gameplay for me.

I was wondering about this, but it looks like you would have to do each one individually since they are integrated into one png?

6 hours ago, Drybonz said:

I was wondering about this, but it looks like you would have to do each one individually since they are integrated into one png?

Yes, but it's pretty quick and easy to do if you are familiar with photo editing .

I use photopea, it's free and online and I assume similar to photoshop.

I create a copy layer of the bezzel art (so I have 2 layers) then create a raster mask from transparency on the top original layer (this removes the only screen area on that layer. 

On the 2nd copy layer below, the screen is now showing through, so if you reduce the opacity of this layer (I found 65% to be good)  the reflection and scratches on the screen will be reduced to that level.  It won't alter actual bezel art as this is still hidden under the top layer. 

If you don't want any screen effect at all, simply create a raster mask from transparency and save it like that. You will still have scratches and reflection on the bezel though. 

I do it on my phone, easy to do when you're on the bus, train, loo or whatever ? 

20200913_072007.jpg

Edited by Djronz
Added info