LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox for Android 0.29 Released

Jason Carr

I have a shield 2019 and I still have issues importing games, with newest update available to me.  Can't check which version but I just reinstalled yesterday.  So i set it to ame import and it goes for an hour or so and then I find that the app crashes.  Of course then I wasted an hour of my life.  It has also happened on Super Nintendo.  I am REALLY looking forward to being able to import just the games and add the images later.

@Aevans0001 I as well have been having issues importing games onto the Shield (none pro edition). I have noticed that the upload will pause at certain games and shit there for 15, 20, sometimes 60 minutes and will not move to the next game. Some game it will scrape in seconds. It is very strange behavior. I have tried uploading them in batches but that isn't the issue because the upload will just freeze at certain games. I cannot tell if Launchbox is actually doing something in the background or is it having issues downloading certain media. I would like to see more information during the download media process, that way i can tell if it has really frozen. Plus, need a skip option that prompts after a few minutes if not seconds to skip the image download. Or, specify a location where the images are located. I have all the images i need in LaunchBox on my PC.

On 11/28/2019 at 12:42 AM, NOVASPRITE said:

Would you add CPS-I,II, and III as platforms?  Would love to isolate them without going through my MAME collection.  Thanks for all the updates and happy holidays.  

We will be separating those out in one form or another, hopefully soon, but it may be a bit yet.

On 12/1/2019 at 8:39 PM, Aevans0001 said:

I have a shield 2019 and I still have issues importing games, with newest update available to me.  Can't check which version but I just reinstalled yesterday.  So i set it to ame import and it goes for an hour or so and then I find that the app crashes.  Of course then I wasted an hour of my life.  It has also happened on Super Nintendo.  I am REALLY looking forward to being able to import just the games and add the images later.

Is it crashing when downloading images? It would be good to confirm that you are running the latest version, which is 0.30. You can check the version number from the About screen or the change log.

On 12/2/2019 at 4:33 AM, MegaDeox said:

Just bought the app, pretty nice so far!

I was wondering if there's a list of ETA for future features? I'm personally hoping for a recently played ordering like the desktop app.

Hi Mega, I don't have an official list, but the main things on the immediate docket are editing games, custom emulator launching, and dark mode. Pretty much everything that the desktop apps do is planned though.

On 12/2/2019 at 5:53 AM, dirtybeagles said:

@Aevans0001 I as well have been having issues importing games onto the Shield (none pro edition). I have noticed that the upload will pause at certain games and shit there for 15, 20, sometimes 60 minutes and will not move to the next game. Some game it will scrape in seconds. It is very strange behavior. I have tried uploading them in batches but that isn't the issue because the upload will just freeze at certain games. I cannot tell if Launchbox is actually doing something in the background or is it having issues downloading certain media. I would like to see more information during the download media process, that way i can tell if it has really frozen. Plus, need a skip option that prompts after a few minutes if not seconds to skip the image download. Or, specify a location where the images are located. I have all the images i need in LaunchBox on my PC.

These types of issues come from connection stability issues. I've been trying to get fixes in there for that, but Android is apparently terrible at just giving up when it can't find a connection, so I haven't found a solution yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Just uploaded version 0.31 to the Play Store. I improved the import process to be faster and use fewer resources, which should also help with stability on lower-end devices. If you were seeing crashes with previous versions, please let me know if this version helps any.

Google should hopefully make the new version live later this evening.

• Like 1

First of all, LaunchBox for Android is super awesome. Finally I can turn my phone into a super powerful portable emulation machine!

Thanks for developing it.

Second, I'm a big DOS/SCUMMVM fan, I set up LB on my PC with a lot of these old games, but it looks like they're not yet supported on the Android version. Do you have an estimate as to when you're expecting to launch either DOSBox or ScummVM on LB for Android?

Thanks again! :)

That is wonderful to hear guys, thanks. I still have reports of crashes from one other person, but it looks like it's fixed for the majority of cases.

For what it's worth, as far as I can tell these weren't crashes at all. They seem to have been caused by Android devices killing the import process because it was using too many resources.

On 12/14/2019 at 4:29 PM, Awesomatic said:

First of all, LaunchBox for Android is super awesome. Finally I can turn my phone into a super powerful portable emulation machine!

Thanks for developing it.

Second, I'm a big DOS/SCUMMVM fan, I set up LB on my PC with a lot of these old games, but it looks like they're not yet supported on the Android version. Do you have an estimate as to when you're expecting to launch either DOSBox or ScummVM on LB for Android?

Thanks again! :)

This is definitely planned, but might be a bit yet. I don't have an exact timeline, unfortunately.

On 11/22/2019 at 6:08 PM, Jason Carr said:

Thank you @maxload. External hard drives do work just fine, but you may have to manually move stuff around as the importer doesn't currently ask. If you close the app and move the /Android/data/com.unbrokensoftware.launchbox/files/LaunchBox folder to the same location on your external drive (make sure you remove the one on your internal), LaunchBox should pick it up and use it from that location instead.

Hello, should this method also work for network storage? It didn't work for me. My system consist of an Nvidia Shield with a Synology NAS server. I'm currently using RetroArch just fine - but I would like to switch to LB eventually. Thank you!

13 hours ago, kraken said:

Hello, should this method also work for network storage? It didn't work for me. My system consist of an Nvidia Shield with a Synology NAS server. I'm currently using RetroArch just fine - but I would like to switch to LB eventually. Thank you!

This should work for the Shield's network storage solution, but I've heard different things from different people, and I didn't have any luck setting it up myself. So not exactly sure for the moment...

• 2 weeks later...