LaunchBox Community Forums

How do I set up OpenBor in Launchbox?

d34dj3d1

25 minutes ago, d34dj3d1 said:

If anyone has done this or knows how and can show or tell me it would be much appreciated

You can just add each of the .exe files or a shortcut like you would do for a windows game. Create a platform called OpenBor or whatever you want and add the files.

On 2/9/2020 at 7:37 AM, d34dj3d1 said:

What do I do if the games are in PAK files and don't have their own exe, whenever I try to add the games individually and open them it just opens up the first game I put in?

MAke sperate OpenBor folders with seperate .exe for every pak file and add the .exe's to launchbox 

• 4 months later...

Just tried some OpenBOR games. I don't really like making multiple exe to launch games - want to keep things as simple and as automated as possible.
I've done a quick & simple script if anyone's interested, until OpenBOR gets an update that will make this obsolete:

WARNING! This script will empty the default OpenBOR\Paks\ Directory each time it is run (and copy the PAK file you run from launchbox so there will always be just one PAK there). So you need to have all of your PAK files somewhere else to be copied from. Think the "OpenBOR\Paks\ " as a temporary directory from now on.

Make the script (with any text etc editor):
OPENBORSTART.BAT (put it in the same directory where you have the OpenBOR.exe - and make sure you don't have any Paks in the "temporary" Paks Directory - if you do, move them somewhere else to be imported by Launchbox):

##################
@echo off
del E:\Emulators\LaunchBox\Emulators\OpenBOR\Paks\* /Q
copy %1 E:\Emulators\LaunchBox\Emulators\OpenBOR\Paks\
OpenBOR.exe
exit
##################

(change the path to the ones you use to make the script find the files/directories)

Things to do in Launchbox:

1. Make the default emulator for OpenBOR point to the "OPENBORSTART.BAT" script and tick "hide console:
(and of course in "Associated Platforms" should have "OpenBOR" and default emulator ticked.)

Untitled-1.thumb.png.827cf16943c6c20fa18bb84777655799.png2. Import the PAK-files as usual to launchbox, they will be identified (including their path) in the script with the "%1" mark. 

3. When executing a OpenBOR game from Launchbox the script will first empty the default "temporary" OpenBOR/Paks folder and copy the file you've imported to launchbox and start it automatically, since it is the only one present in the folder.

Hope you might find this useful!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
On 6/22/2020 at 4:26 AM, kurzih said:

Just tried some OpenBOR games. I don't really like making multiple exe to launch games - want to keep things as simple and as automated as possible.
I've done a quick & simple script if anyone's interested, until OpenBOR gets an update that will make this obsolete:

WARNING! This script will empty the default OpenBOR\Paks\ Directory each time it is run (and copy the PAK file you run from launchbox so there will always be just one PAK there). So you need to have all of your PAK files somewhere else to be copied from. Think the "OpenBOR\Paks\ " as a temporary directory from now on.

OPENBORSTART.BAT (put it in the same directory where you have the OpenBOR.exe - and make sure you don't have any Paks in the "temporary" Paks Directory - if you do, move them somewhere else to be imported by Launchbox):

##################
@echo off
OpenBOR.exe
exit
##################

(change the path to the ones you use to make the script find the files/directories)

1. Make the default emulator for OpenBOR point to the "OPENBORSTART.BAT" script and tick "hide console:
(and of course in "Associated Platforms" should have "OpenBOR" and default emulator ticked.)

Untitled-1.thumb.png.827cf16943c6c20fa18bb84777655799.png2. Import the PAK-files as usual to launchbox, they will be identified (including their path) in the script with the "%1" mark. 

3. When executing a OpenBOR game from Launchbox the script will first empty the default "temporary" OpenBOR/Paks folder and copy the file you've imported to launchbox and start it automatically, since it is the only one present in the folder.

This worked like a charm for me thank you!!

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

each openbor game has an "openbor.exe" file which is the game.  So, could you just rename the exe to the game folder name?  i tried on one game and it worked.  that way you could just imp[ort all the exe files.

anyone smarter than me willing to write a script to rename the openbor.exe to the folder name it sits in?

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 6/22/2020 at 5:26 PM, kurzih said:

##################
@echo off
OpenBOR.exe
exit
##################

Confirmed that this method still works in Launchbox 13.5 in 2023! Recommend to use this approach to make it automated!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I just finished my OpenBOR collection and can absolutely NOT recommend to merge paks into one build.

While 70% of all games might run, a lot of games break if the used build is too new or too old when the game was developed.

Remember, this is a game engine, not an emulator.

Also, some games do not come in pak-, but in files-format.

I used a very late v3 build, tested out if the game worked and looked alright without crashing, renamed the exe to the game title and imported all exe-files into Launchbox later on.

If a build didn't work, it was ALWAYS because the OpenBOR build needed to be lower. So I worked through some older builds until it worked again - even then sometimes I had to use the OpenBOR exe provided with the pak-file instead.

It's also important to create control configs for every OpenBOR option and rename the .cfg file in the Saves folder into "default", before you create new copies.

That way you don't have to map keys everytime. Sadly those Default-Files are build-dependant, so you have to go through these for every OpenBOR option.

I hope this helps anyone trying to get OpenBOR up and running.

Edited by totoro