LaunchBox Community Forums

The State of LaunchBox on Android

Jason Carr

So I played a bit with Reset Collection. It's nice but it has a way to go. I bought the app to help the dev & support this hobby. The dev seems to be very responsive to requests. Before LB I had my STV setup with another frontend called Arc Browser. It takes a bit of fiddling but the UI can be setup to look very nice and game launching is spot on. The dev was out of commission for a while but is back & moving forward. I'm not affiliated with it but just wanted to give folks heartbroken about LBA another option. I put up a vid on YT awhile back of it all setup I'll try to dig up & post.

So this news (more the general news about things looking grim for emulation on Android in the future) has kinda turned everything upside down for me. For a few years now I've been tinkering on an android tablet to have my emulations always be portable, I was using RetroTV for a long time, but that program requires an active internet connection, which isn't great for when you're stuck on a plane with no internet (for example). Then launchbox came to Android and I was blown away as I feel it's a better product and doesn't leave me hanging when I can't get internet. Do you guys have any suggestions as to what would be the way to go moving forward with emulation on the go?  At this point, I'm thinking about breaking the bank and buying a gaming laptop and rocking Launchbox on there... however if I can keep the bank intact, I wouldn't be sad about that. Thanks in advance, sorry if this is not the appropriate place to post this.

-Danny

While it's a bummer to hear the news about LaunchBox on Android I appreciate the straightforward way in which you informed the community. It did feel like there was a longer than usual period of time since the last release and people naturally started asking questions about it. Coming straight out and saying what the landscape looks like is appreciated and sadly not something we see often enough. Enjoy the $3.50 from me! Hopefully it bought a cup of coffee for the long hours we can clearly see have been going into LaunchBox and BigBox on Windows. I've been digging the new HiScore beta feature! All the best.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, OneOfaKindDPC said:

So this news (more the general news about things looking grim for emulation on Android in the future) has kinda turned everything upside down for me. For a few years now I've been tinkering on an android tablet to have my emulations always be portable, I was using RetroTV for a long time, but that program requires an active internet connection, which isn't great for when you're stuck on a plane with no internet (for example). Then launchbox came to Android and I was blown away as I feel it's a better product and doesn't leave me hanging when I can't get internet. Do you guys have any suggestions as to what would be the way to go moving forward with emulation on the go?  At this point, I'm thinking about breaking the bank and buying a gaming laptop and rocking Launchbox on there... however if I can keep the bank intact, I wouldn't be sad about that. Thanks in advance, sorry if this is not the appropriate place to post this.

-Danny

Hi Danny, yes, it's certainly grim news. It is possible that all these issues with Android will come and go without affecting much in the end, but there's enough in question that we don't want to invest any more time without knowing for sure, and things aren't looking good, sadly.

Per emulation on the go, I do wish there were better options. The best I can recommend is mobile devices that run full versions of Windows. I have both a GPD Win and a GPD Win 2. The GPD Win 2 is especially good for emulation, but the problem is that mine didn't last very long. Unfortunately the build quality is not very good for those devices at all. I'm looking forward to DELL's Concept UFO coming out; I think that will ultimately be a wonderful solution once it finally comes out.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, OneOfaKindDPC said:

Do you guys have any suggestions as to what would be the way to go moving forward with emulation on the go?

While this is certainly not the only option it's one I like very much and that is to get a PS Vita and hack it and use an SD2Vita memeory card adapter.

Emulation quality is pretty good overall for 8 and 16 bits systems, has a great screen and very good controls. It also does PS1 extremely well and obviously Vita games play natively which is awesome. GBA emulation using Retroarch isn't bad either but it's not perfect. The screen is absolutely amazing, especially if you get t he earlier model with the OLED scren and the form factor is also great.

This is just my opinion though of course and like I said, there are other options out there.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

While this is certainly not the only option it's one I like very much and that is to get a PS Vita and hack it and use an SD2Vita memeory card adapter.

Emulation quality is pretty good overall for 8 and 16 bits systems, has a great screen and very good controls. It also does PS1 extremely well and obviously Vita games play natively which is awesome. GBA emulation using Retroarch isn't bad either but it's not perfect. The screen is absolutely amazing, especially if you get t he earlier model with the OLED scren and the form factor is also great.

This is just my opinion though of course and like I said, there are other options out there.

PSP is also perfect when using adrenaline.

• Thanks 1

Wow thanks for the quick responses! I think the UFO is something I'll be keeping my eye out for. I was looking at the Win 2, but I had the GPD XD and the build quality was meh on those also... Couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger. I have a Vita and I love it. I wish it was powerful enough to do N64, Dreamcast (if you guys know if a way, I would love to hear it). With the Android tablet I was attempting to do it all, I have everything working all the way up to Gamecube games, plus (when I had internet) stream most of my PC games. I feel almost betrayed by google at this point... I kinda knew I was fighting an uphill battle when I started this project, I figured the hardware was only going to me so far. Who would of thought it was google who was going to decide I can't have nice things!  ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dustin Mustangs said:

Is there any word on the timing for these changes that might affect the capability for front ends on Android?

From the article I linked:

A controversial change that originally was slated for Android 10 becomes mandatory for all new apps in August 2020 and every app targeting Android 11

But it's really hard to get good information on this stuff, I'm finding, so I don't have any exact dates. I've also had a really hard time finding accurate information because of Google's announcing it and then backing off due to community outcry (no surprise). I believe the restrictions were originally planned for Android 10, but they backed them off because the community thew a fit, as they should. But now they're trying again for Android 11, and from what I can tell, it seems to be sticking this time. Part of the problem is all of the confusion surrounding the matter.

So, i expect a refund to be in my account shortly? as we were sold something that was never going to happen? there are good frontends out there for android, i dont see them giving up, andquitting because you think something will happen is pretty lame. enjoy my cash.

Edited by mushmash

22 minutes ago, mushmash said:

So, i expect a refund to be in my account shortly? as we were sold something that was never going to happen? there are good frontends out there for android, i dont see them giving up, andquitting because you think something will happen is pretty lame. enjoy my cash.

If you really feel like you were robbed of your $5, and you didn't get your money's worth, we're happy to give you a refund. Email us at support@unbrokensoftware.com with your order ID from Google Play.

When we buy into launchbox, we buy into the support that comes with that, if you aren't making enough on it to continue, then you should have charged more, we are more than willing to support when it goes both ways, this just feels like you can't be bothered, because you think something will happen, android emulators will continue to function long after android 11, the mistake may have been relying on retroarch to do all your heavy lifting. 

Edited by mushmash