LaunchBox Community Forums

New MAME High Score feature!

Johnny T

Just wanted to thank Jason and the team for the new MAME high score feature!! I installed it over the weekend and it's awesome!!!

It was great seeing @neil9000 in the high score tables and a few other familiar names.

On Saturday night I was 6th on the Frogger table but I'm sure that will change over the next few days/weeks/months.

It's really added an extra dimension to the games and probably my most anticipated feature. Great to say it's working brilliantly.

I love the fact that your name is tied to your account so that you don't just get one person filling the whole high score with impossible to beat scores.

Great work folks and look forward to attempting to beat everyone's score in the future!

?

• Like 6

I know the best LB feature is subjective and if there were a way to measure that it would be something significant in the background that greatly contributes to everything being possible but this new MAME High Score element is by far my favorite feature out of everything LB!

I have been gaming since the early eighties and I have never ever given a damn about the score in a game my entire life, until now. When I was younger I used to play with the enthusiasm like I was going for a high score as I wanted to get as far as possible, but did not care about the score. Then, after childhood I still always have thoroughly enjoyed gaming but just kind of played them without much direction, if you will. However, in the short time this feature has been out my playing of Arcade games has been more of the edge-of-your-seat experience like when I was a kid. Seriously, this adds so much more intensity, excitement, drive and fun than before. Also, I am glad there is no swear-jar in our house because I would be broke. This wonderful new feature has also seen my potty-mouth increase tenfold as I curse aloud when I die only a short distance from the highest score of a game.

@Johnny T, after you mentioned @neil9000 I had a look at his scores and beat him at Espgaluda just because I wanted to demasculinized him a little, muhaha!

Edited by flatuswalrus
  • Like 5
  • Game On 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, flatuswalrus said:

I know the best LB feature is subjective and if there were a way to measure that it would be something significant in the background that greatly contributes to everything being possible but this new MAME High Score element is by far my favorite feature out of everything LB!

I have been gaming since the early eighties and I have never ever given a damn about the score in a game my entire life, until now. When I was younger I used to play with the enthusiasm like I was going for a high score as I wanted to get as far as possible, but did not care about the score. Then, after childhood I still always have thoroughly enjoyed gaming but just kind of played them without much direction, if you will. However, in the short time this feature has been out my playing of Arcade games has been more of the edge-of-your-seat experience like when I was a kid. Seriously, this adds so much more intensity, excitement, drive and fun than before. Also, I am glad there is no swear-jar in our house because I would be broke. This wonderful new feature has also seen my potty-mouth increase tenfold as I curse aloud when I die only a short distance from the highest score of a game.

@Johnny T, after you mentioned @neil9000 I had a look at his scores and beat him at Espgaluda just because I wanted to demasculinized him a little, muhaha!

Well stay away from my Frogger high score!! (And my Toki high score too whilst we're on the subject) ?

I agree with everything said here about the new MAME High Scores, it really gives you a reason to pick certain games now out of a large library, and play for a while with a purpose. Before, I would just either play the same handful of games... or check out random games for just a few minutes or so. Creating a playlist for this and for RetroAchievements per platform has been a huge plus for my LaunchBox build.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lino11 said:

I've been blown away with MAME High Scores! And I couldn't agree more with @flatuswalrus .... how it rejuvenates everything with the tension and thrill you felt as a kid.

Best feature ever!

my sentiments exactly. I hadn’t turned on my arcade and have been playing modern titles more often but once I read about this feature in the update email and then installed and saw all the high scores and names I felt compelled to play and put my name on the list as high as possible. It has been a solid week of playing every day with a nice mix of trying to improve my score in old favorites like Ms Pac-Man, Dig Dug and Donkey Kong or trying new games and getting stuck on those (Alien Syndrome, Pipe Dream) and many others.

Trending games feature is great to see what everyone else is playing as well as top players. 

I think it would be cool to have some sort of Community High Score Leaderboard specific section on the site showcasing everything somehow... where you can comment, like and maybe set a challenge to beat someone's high score or something. Not sure exactly how it would all work, but it seems like there's something there...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, PanteraZombie said:

I think it would be cool to have some sort of Community High Score Leaderboard specific section on the site showcasing everything somehow... where you can comment, like and maybe set a challenge to beat someone's high score or something. Not sure exactly how it would all work, but it seems like there's something there...

Absolutely. I’m sure it will get added at some point. Maybe pick a game or two every month to feature, one popular and one that is more obscure so there can be more community involvement and competition. This isn’t necessary at the moment but once everyone catches on and the boards become stagnant this would help keep it fresh.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, coreyhustle said:

Absolutely. I’m sure it will get added at some point. Maybe pick a game or two every month to feature, one popular and one that is more obscure so there can be more community involvement and competition. This isn’t necessary at the moment but once everyone catches on and the boards become stagnant this would help keep it fresh.

Yep, that would be a good idea. To have a "Featured Game" on the site that is also highlighted in the software (assuming you've switched on that feature). Then, any high scores created, are reflected on a page on the site for people to comment on / mock / congratulate / swear at / etc....

Not sure how things get put into the Launchbox Poll but this would be a good suggestion to go into that and then it could be put to the community (and Jason) to see if it's feasible and, if it's something other people want. ?

8 hours ago, PanteraZombie said:

I agree with everything said here about the new MAME High Scores, it really gives you a reason to pick certain games now out of a large library, and play for a while with a purpose. Before, I would just either play the same handful of games... or check out random games for just a few minutes or so. Creating a playlist for this and for RetroAchievements per platform has been a huge plus for my LaunchBox build.

RetroAchievements?? First I've heard of this....  could you explain what it is (and - hopefully - how to get it)? Is it a feature I can just turn on or is it a third-party plugin for LB? Thanks  ?

10 minutes ago, Johnny T said:

RetroAchievements?? First I've heard of this....  could you explain what it is (and - hopefully - how to get it)? Is it a feature I can just turn on or is it a third-party plugin for LB? Thanks  ?

RetroAchievements aren't new, they have been integrated into LaunchBox for a while now... but I just recently looked into the RetroAchievements games database and went through the tedious process of manually creating playlists per platform for games that support it. They basically work just like PlayStation trophies or Xbox achievements... except for retro games through emulators. It works with several platforms primarily through RetroArch, although it looks like they are supported through a few other emulators... but I haven't messed with any of those. You can view your RetroAchievements in BigBox and the Pause Menu now too, which is really cool. It adds so much more to my setup, similar to the new High Score Leaderboard system. Here is a tutorial for it...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PanteraZombie said:

RetroAchievements aren't new, they have been integrated into LaunchBox for a while now... but I just recently looked into the RetroAchievements games database and went through the tedious process of manually creating playlists per platform for games that support it. They basically work just like PlayStation trophies or Xbox achievements... except for retro games through emulators. It works with several platforms primarily through RetroArch, although it looks like they are supported through a few other emulators... but I haven't messed with any of those. You can view your RetroAchievements in BigBox and the Pause Menu now too, which is really cool. It adds so much more to my setup, similar to the new High Score Leaderboard system. Here is a tutorial for it...

That's brilliant! Thanks for the info (and the link to the video). I'll check it out and get it set up on my cabinet. 

Much appreciated ?

** Edit - I've done that now - really easy to set up - looking forward to getting a few achievements under my belt - Thanks ? **

Edited by Johnny T
  • Like 2

After the recent high scores reset, I can't seem to get any high scores to save to the community.  I think its because I'm not beating the existing saved high scores on my local MAME....any idea how to reset those?

Found it...delete the contents of mame's /hi and /nvram contents for the game you need to reset.

Nothing seems to work.  I'm not seeing any high scores post for me anymore (at least for games I already had scores for).

Edited by Brian221

57 minutes ago, Brian221 said:

After the recent high scores reset, I can't seem to get any high scores to save to the community.  I think its because I'm not beating the existing saved high scores on my local MAME....any idea how to reset those?

Found it...delete the contents of mame's /hi and /nvram contents for the game you need to reset.

Nothing seems to work.  I'm not seeing any high scores post for me anymore (at least for games I already had scores for).

Same happened to me. Open your Mame folder and then the “hi” folder. Delete the files for the games you would like to reset in there.

Since the update to the new version 10.14 I am not even seeing the option to display high scores in any game. Logged out of games database and back in and unchecked download scores and upload them and rechecked them, still nothing. Anyone else have the issue?

17 minutes ago, coreyhustle said:

Same happened to me. Open your Mame folder and then the “hi” folder. Delete the files for the games you would like to reset in there.

Tried that...also deleted the nvram folder for the games.  It seems no high scores are reporting for me anymore...even for games I hadn't previously played.

I've also updated to the latest version of launchbox, restarted...same issue.

If you're not seeing or uploading any high scores, please note that we clamped down on cheating a bit for 10.14, and the high scores features require an official version of MAME in order to work. Let me know if you're using an official version of MAME and still can't get it to work.

3 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

If you're not seeing or uploading any high scores, please note that we clamped down on cheating a bit for 10.14, and the high scores features require an official version of MAME in order to work. Let me know if you're using an official version of MAME and still can't get it to work.

I am using mameui64 0.193. Not sure if that is considered official but if not what should I use, mame64 0.193? Also to add I did have it working on 10.13. Could see and upload, but I know that doesn't mean it should work in 10.14.

Edited by Rastan350