LaunchBox Community Forums

New MAME High Score feature!

Johnny T

31 minutes ago, flatuswalrus said:

Yeah, and I just want to a say a big SCREW YOU to whomever just beat my high score on Street Fighter II. Whoever you are, you are now my sworn enemy.

Unfortunately that wasn't me but you've now put me in the mood for a game later when the sun gets over the yard arm and I can justify cracking open a cold beer. ?

1 minute ago, Johnny T said:

Unfortunately that wasn't me but you've now put me in the mood for a game later when the sun gets over the yard arm and I can justify cracking open a cold beer. ?

I though quoting your thank you would be a good comedic lead in for my screw you remark. I have been trying to better a few scores today but now I have seen my SFII score beat I am going to sit in the dark and eat an entire tub of ice-cream.

Just now, flatuswalrus said:

I though quoting your thank you would be a good comedic lead in for my screw you remark. I have been trying to better a few scores today but now I have seen my SFII score beat I am going to sit in the dark and eat an entire tub of ice-cream.

Yep, you gave me my first laugh of the day :)

The sun is cracking the paving stones here in sunny Scotland so I'm having a lazy day. No jobs being done. Just chilling with my missus and then firing up the homemade cab later with a few beers.

I've not played Street Fighter II for years (since it came out) and my normal goto games are Frogger, Toki, Galaxians, Tekken 3, Fighting Hawk and a few others.... however, going to have a go at it later in your honour (won't be anywhere near any high scores though I'm sure!!).

:) 

20 hours ago, Johnny T said:

Street Fighter II for years .... however, going to have a go at it later in your honour (won't be anywhere near any high scores though I'm sure!!). 

You do honor me with your honoring me. You are a gentleman, scholar and a gamer! Also, I just took back my SFII high score so whoever took it from me... in your face!

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
Just now, damageinc86 said:

Is there still a mame high score feature?  I just noticed that while going through my arcade platform cleaning up images, no high scores were over in the game details box anymore. 

Yes there is. If its not showing that could be for several reasons. You are not using the standard MAME emulator, you have cheats enabled or have altered dipswitches, you dont have hi scores showing in the theme you are using, or the theme you are using doesnt support them.

6 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Yes there is. If its not showing that could be for several reasons. You are not using the standard MAME emulator, you have cheats enabled or have altered dipswitches, you dont have hi scores showing in the theme you are using, or the theme you are using doesnt support them.

It's just the default launchbox theme.  Changed to arcade64 back when the high score feature was implemented because my old mameuifx wasn't compatible.  Everything is default and it showed up back when the feature first came out.  But I haven't looked at my arcade platform until this last week, and didn't notice the high score leaderboard not showing in game details until today. 

6 minutes ago, damageinc86 said:

It's just the default launchbox theme.  Changed to arcade64 back when the high score feature was implemented because my old mameuifx wasn't compatible.  Everything is default and it showed up back when the feature first came out.  But I haven't looked at my arcade platform until this last week, and didn't notice the high score leaderboard not showing in game details until today. 

Yeah, Arcade64 isnt supported, it was initially but not for long, we needed to tighten up to try as best we can to prevent cheating.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
On 12/13/2020 at 7:27 PM, damageinc86 said:

a ha. ok then, that makes sense. So no derivatives are supported now?

I am using an ARCADE 0.237 64 BITS NO NAG without problems. the thing is that you need to rename the exe file to Mame64.exe and it will work

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

Not sure where to ask this question... I too love the high score leaderboard! I noticed I have a false high score for Donkey Kong, not sure how it got on there (sorry). Is there a way to delete it?  The #1 score on the attached. I wish it were my high score... I'm so close to breaking 100,000! Darn 3rd spring screen. Thanks.

20220718_220219.jpg

16 hours ago, natedog said:

Not sure where to ask this question... I too love the high score leaderboard! I noticed I have a false high score for Donkey Kong, not sure how it got on there (sorry). Is there a way to delete it?  The #1 score on the attached. I wish it were my high score... I'm so close to breaking 100,000! Darn 3rd spring screen. Thanks.

20220718_220219.jpg

Thanks, I did go ahead and remove this high score.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just discovered the High Score feature and could see myself really enjoying this.  I do have several random questions, comments and feature requests (some similar to ones already posted).

Start off with a feature request.  I think it'd be great if there was a separate "High Scores" forum.  Within the forum you could then have a stickied post for "featured game of the month" and another stickied post for "featured game of the year".  That should cause there to be some more interest and common competition in the same games, especially games that aren't the most popular games.  People would also have a way to communicate and trashtalk (good natured of course :) with others by posting about games their playing.  All high score troubleshooting posts could also stay in this forum.  It also looks like occasionally people need to report false high score uploads for themself, that could happen here too.

Can you only see high scores from within BigBox and LaunchBox?  It'd be nice to be able to view them from the web interface of the cloud Games Database.  The web interface could open up a lot of new features like: it'd be fun to set alerts on games.  For example I'd like to watch Donkey Kong and be notified whenever someone sets a high score or when some sets a high score over 100,000.  Even better would be to know when my rank changes in a game.  Not when I drop off for a score being older than the limit (for example weekly or monthly), but when someone takes my position.  Then I'd know I should jump back into action and see if I could get my old rank back.  It'd also be fun to be able to look at historical high scores, like explore high scores for a game per year.  I'm sure there are all sorts of stats you could geek out on.  :)  Or going to the super simple extreme, it'd be nice to see all the games I've set high scores on, and what those scores are.  Is there anyway I can view all of my high score uploads?

Within the BigBox/LaunchBox high score leaderboard view I see that I can click on a user to see all of their high scores.  Does it only show active high scores?  For example if they have a high score drop off the leaderboard will it still display?  I assume it's showing the player's highest "All-Time" score?  In this user high score view it'd be nice to be able to see the date on which their high scores were set.

I assume the various time periods mean: Weekly = last 7 days, Monthly = last 30 days, Yearly = last 365 days?

A player can only have one high score per leaderboard time period?  I.e. I've already seen that I can't post two high scores in the Weekly board, but could I have a different high score in the Weekly, Monthly and Yearly leaderboards?  For example on Jan 1st I get on the Donkey Kong leaderboard with a score of 100,000, which puts that score on the Weekly, Monthly and Yearly leaderboards.  On Jan 10th I score 50,000 on Donkey Kong, which puts me on the Weekly leaderboard with 50,000, but the monthly and yearly leaderboards would still show 100,000.  On Feb 1 since my monthly 100,000 score has dropped off it would now show my monthly score as 50,000?

Edited by jimj
  • Like 1