LaunchBox Community Forums

New MAME High Score feature!

Johnny T

6 hours ago, AK45 said:

some games you can continue your score by adding credits and continuing the game but i normally just go by one credit play then restart when all lives gone so i was wondering about other peoples thoughts on piling virtual cash into the machine for continues to get a mega high score

Many of the games that can be continued have an ultimate ending, so it does still takes some skill to maximize score before the eventual end, just a different sort of skill. It's not a purist form of high scores like one credit per game (Which I prefer), but it cannot be enforced AFAIK with the current system. The other type of continue is just a straight up marathon. If you want to beat someone that played for 9 hours, you got to do the same for 10 hours. Rather boring. A lot of time wasted, when during the same amount of time, a decent player could get good scores on 20 different games.

Reason why I much prefer late 70's, early 80's, arcade games. Not many games had continue feature. Or if it did, you started with zero points, Just not at the starting point. A 3rd method of "continuing" that games use.

Edited by cannonwillow
  • Like 1

Personally, I'm a much more "chill" player. I really love the high scores but in a casual way. Whenever you introduce some sort of scoring/measuring system into anything then there will be people who will either try and fudge the system or will go to extremes in order to be at the top spot. Good luck to them I say.

If someone really wants to spend 9 hours playing a single game then they can. I always mentally discount ridiculous scores anyway as I couldn't (and probably wouldn't want to) compete with that. I normally look for the scores around my level and those are my rivals.... I finish a game of Frogger and find that I'm only 300 points off beating "TurktheGreat" then I'm chucking in another virtual coin and going again.... that's where the fun is for me.

Scores of 1,343,553 by "NeverhadaFriend" are not going to be of concern to me.

If these things *do* bother people then the answer is to introduce an "Ultimate Scores" board that filters out the top 5 or so ? of the global high scores, removes them from the main board and puts them on their own high score board. This would filter cheaters and people with mega-large scores and leave the rest of the board for 'normal' players. It would also please the 'extreme' players to vie for top spot on the Ultimate Board!

:) 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Johnny T said:

NeverhadaFriend

awesome 🤣  It really dosent bother me in the slightest about the scores i was just looking for some clarity really, im an old school gamer in his fifties and im really only interested in the arcade and a few systems like the megadrive and snes which i used to play years ago im not really competetive but its good to see your name sometimes on the high score chart.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AK45 said:

awesome 🤣  It really dosent bother me in the slightest about the scores i was just looking for some clarity really, im an old school gamer in his fifties and im really only interested in the arcade and a few systems like the megadrive and snes which i used to play years ago im not really competetive but its good to see your name sometimes on the high score chart.

Sounds like we're cut from the same cloth mate. I'm the same :) 

• Like 2

On 10/2/2022 at 6:55 PM, cannonwillow said:

Finally did it. Took the number 1 spot in leaderboards. Is there a social site to discuss various things for participants of the LaunchBox MAME community leader boards?

Cool.  Curious how many different games you got high scores on?  I've just been focusing on the two most popular classic arcade games myself (Pooyan and Donkey Kong :).  Even on those I can't come close to #1, but it's fun trying.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2022 at 9:37 PM, InvaderJim said:

Cool.  Curious how many different games you got high scores on?  I've just been focusing on the two most popular classic arcade games myself (Pooyan and Donkey Kong :).  Even on those I can't come close to #1, but it's fun trying.

I have high scores on many with only a few players having played. These didn't have much of an impact on my ranking. Getting decent scores, sometimes just in top 50 or 100, on the most popular games did. I think but cannot be for sure, that the way Top Player ranking is calculated is simply this:  For any given game. Total Number of Player Accounts having logged scores in that game - Your ranking in that game + 1. Then add these all up.  So let's look at the most popular game Ms. Pac-Man. More than 650 different accounts are ranked in it (not sure of the exact amount, it could be 700+ by now). So if it's 650, and your ranked 110, that would give 650-110+1 = 541. If your the only one in an obscure game ranked, you get 1-1+1 = 1. Like I said, not sure if this is how they calculate it, but probably is from logical thinking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

At our local Arcade/Bar I frequent, Up/Down Bar in St. Louis Missouri, we keep track of the highest score achieved for the arcade machines.  We have a card on each cabinet with the score and the players name. So far I have 34 highest scores out of 85 different games. Just mentioning this in case somebody thinks I cheat...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cannonwillow said:

Just mentioning this in case somebody thinks I cheat...

Some people are incredibly good at games without resorting to cheating and im sure your one of those people and also cheating on high scores here wouldnt make it to the scoreboards so it would be pointless to have the cheats active unless your not interested in that game being on the scoreboard and just want to complete it as it was way to difficult it the arcade

• Like 1

Is there a way to disable high scores in the UI if I installed Mame via LB?

I'd rather use the save state than hi score and I didn't realise they weren't compatible before installing...

EDIT: FWIW I discovered this issue from the below thread...

Thanks

Edited by vaderag

On 10/20/2022 at 8:10 AM, vaderag said:

Is there a way to disable high scores in the UI if I installed Mame via LB?

I'd rather use the save state than hi score and I didn't realise they weren't compatible before installing...

EDIT: FWIW I discovered this issue from the below thread...

Thanks

Yes, via Tools > Options > Integrations > MAME in the LaunchBox interface.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Gaelion said:

I can see that support for Galaga 88 High score was added, but it does not record my scores (it does on other games). Is it possible that Galaga'88 high score recording is not working correctly? Or is it just me?
Thanks!

I don't see Galaga '88 listed in with hi2txt so it wouldn't be available in the MAME Community Leaderboards.  

Though there's a good chance it's listed in there incorrectly as "galaga99.xml".  But I don't know that for certain.

You can find this in \LaunchBox\ThirdParty\hi2txt\hi2txt.zip

image.png.39c0479dce75afe2fc500f185b75fee9.png

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JoeViking245 said:

I don't see Galaga '88 listed in with hi2txt so it wouldn't be available in the MAME Community Leaderboards.  

Though there's a good chance it's listed in there incorrectly as "galaga99.xml".  But I don't know that for certain.

You can find this in \LaunchBox\ThirdParty\hi2txt\hi2txt.zip

image.png.39c0479dce75afe2fc500f185b75fee9.png

Yep, it has to be that. Never heard of a Galaga 99? Sounds more like an ice-cream than a game.... 🙂

53 minutes ago, Gaelion said:

It shows one high score.

Huh.  I'll be daw gon.  Helps if I click on the High Score tab (on the LB theme I'm using) to see them. lol

Two possibilities I can think of.

1)  Somehow LB and hi2txt know about galaga88 and you didn't get on your local high scores (where you get to enter your initials)

2)  Shad8w noticed the discrepancy in the hi2txt.zip and changed galaxy99 to galaxy88 (inside the zip).

I'm not good enough to get on my local high scores to be able to test it.  And the thing is, if you rename galaga99.xml to galaga88.xml, you need to launch the game from LB AND get onto you local high schore.  Older high scores won't get uploaded.

On 1/28/2023 at 1:40 AM, JoeViking245 said:

Huh.  I'll be daw gon.  Helps if I click on the High Score tab (on the LB theme I'm using) to see them. lol

Two possibilities I can think of.

1)  Somehow LB and hi2txt know about galaga88 and you didn't get on your local high scores (where you get to enter your initials)

2)  Shad8w noticed the discrepancy in the hi2txt.zip and changed galaxy99 to galaxy88 (inside the zip).

I'm not good enough to get on my local high scores to be able to test it.  And the thing is, if you rename galaga99.xml to galaga88.xml, you need to launch the game from LB AND get onto you local high schore.  Older high scores won't get uploaded.

Thanks for the tips!
I have changed galaga99 to galaga88 in the zip, and played a few games (getting a new local high score a couple of times), but it does not get recorded on the Launchbox hiscores 😐
I understand there is no LaunchBox official support for hiscore recording for Galaga88 then, and so the hiscore by Shad8w that shows LaunchBox is kind of a "bug"?

Edited by Gaelion