LaunchBox Community Forums

Where Do I Download ROMs?

Benzoclown

This is the first time ever trying to use an emulator and such. I looked through a number of threads on this forum, videos from LaunchBox's tutorials, and so on. Everything starts with already having the files downloaded, but I have no idea where to get them. I thought that there would be downloadable files on LB's website, but that seems to not be the case.

The games I'm looking for are on N64, Game Boy, Game Boy Advance, GameCube, Switch, Dreamcast, Playstation 1/2/3/4, and Arcade.

LB would not provide links to download roms since downloading roms is, well illegal. So the software site, our forum, and our discord will not contain links to rom sites. 

Google is going to be you best path. We can say a couple places to look would be PleasureDome and the Internet Archive. 

Thank you for at least some recommendations. Seems odd that software designed to run illegal software wouldn't recommend where to actually get it, especially with a library of YouTube videos showing how to use this illegal software. Lol Thanks again for at least some help.

6 minutes ago, Benzoclown said:

Seems odd that software designed to run illegal software wouldn't recommend where to actually get it,

Roms themselves are not illegal, distributing and downloading of roms for games you havent paid for most certainly is. This is a legitimate software business that organises files you already have. You dont see windows media player giving you access to download pirated MP3's or KODI/Plex giving you links to download pirated TV Shows and Movies do you?

Same deal here.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Benzoclown said:

especially with a library of YouTube videos showing how to use this illegal software.

There is nothing at all illegal about Launchbox. Giving you roms that you havent paid for and we do not have the rights to distribute would be.

The post was about where to get the software to work with this completely legal software you guys have. If there is no way to legally procure the ROMs this software is supposed to run then that's all you had to say. Still seems confusing to me as, again, I have not ventured into this sphere before. Asking where to get software to run seems like a pretty fundamental question. Kind of like "I have this car now...where do I get gas?" I didn't realize procuring gas was illegal.

Microsoft doesn't tell me where to pirate software, this is true. Since that's not what I was asking it is intellectually dishonest to use that for comparison.

2 minutes ago, Benzoclown said:

Microsoft doesn't tell me where to pirate software, this is true. Since that's not what I was asking it is intellectually dishonest to use that for comparison.

That is EXACTLY what you asked though.

5 hours ago, Benzoclown said:

I thought that there would be downloadable files on LB's website, but that seems to not be the case.

The games I'm looking for are on N64, Game Boy, Game Boy Advance, GameCube, Switch, Dreamcast, Playstation 1/2/3/4, and Arcade.

I'm sorry that you misunderstood what was being asked, and that you are conflating "downloading" with "pirating".

Every piece of music I've bought on iTunes has been downloaded after the purchase. In every tutorial LB states they downloaded the ROMs. I am trying to get the ROMs in the same way LB got the ROMs. I thought this would have been a common question for a "Noobs" section.

If you want to do it legally, buy a physical copy of the game and dump it. Or for recent consoles, buy it from their digital marketplace and transfer it to your pc.

Aside from that very small exception, anyone "downloading" is pirating.

Edited by Agent47
  • Like 1

No problem. To clarify, LaunchBox doesn't actually run games. It's a frontend which is basically a fancy menu to view your games which executes emulators to actually run games.

Since you're new, you should also know that asking for, linking to or discussing where to get roms is the cardinal sin on any legitimate frontend, emulator or frontend sites and will get you warned or instabanned. So you generally don't want to discuss such things on those sites.

LaunchBox is much more lenient than other sites in that aspect (which is odd to me considering they're a business rather than hobby projects like most others) but that's their call.

I am "only" using Launchbox to have all my paid PC games in one launcher with more style like Steam, GoG, Microsoft Store and so one.

you can also google for home-brew games for the specific platforms. that us bit illegal. but be aware that some homebrew console games are not allowed to play with an emulator because it needs an dumb of the bios. and if you cannot get an dumb of your bios from your own console it might be illegal - related to the region you are living.

btw: in some regions it is also illegal to make an own copy of a game if you bypass a copy protection 

All of that information is appreciated. Since there isn't a formal place to get ROMs are people allowed to recommend software to create their own ROMs, and is there a list of companies/platforms/etc. that don't like you making your own? I have physical copies for the games I want to play.

• 3 weeks later...

On MAMEworld.info you find everything MAMEreleated, including a link for legal roms, that the owners have given for free download. I guess it’s OK to mention that here.

There by showing yet another way to use LB and emulators legally.

?

Edited by erling1000

• 9 months later...

Perhaps you should first watch a YouTube video called "Introduction to Google", might help, as clearly you seem not to have any idea about anything, and raging straight away when people reply to you in an informative and polite way. 

Just buy one of those handhelds from Anbernic or PowKiddy, or even the Super Console X, they come with thousands of illegal ROMs already pre-installed and completely pre-configured with EmuElec, so you'll have a good start, plus a great handheld (RG351 f.ex.) 

Edited by DeadVoivod

• 2 months later...