LaunchBox Community Forums

Setting up HBMAME with LaunchBox?

Tom Drake

I've searched everywhere and have tried all sorts of various rom import options to make it work, but I can't figure out how to make HBMAME display it's games in LanuchBox. I think the issue is if I use MAME metadata, it will only see the parent game because it doesn't know about  the clones (even with skip unplayable/hacked/prototype/bootleg unchecked) as they're not in MAME. And if I don't use MAME metadata, I'll get a list of awkward rom filenames.

I guess if I had things my way, I'd love to have an Arcade Hacks platform that shows the parents (with images from MAME) and I could get to properly named clones within those? Is there a way to pull those names from HBMAME?

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I know this is an old thread, I used clmrompro to create a split set, picked out the games I wanted and used a bat file to move them into their own folder and imported from that folder into Launchbox. just set your emulator to HBMame. You have to use the entire split set in HBmame rom directory for the games to launch correctly.

• Thanks 1

On 4/28/2021 at 9:32 PM, wemr97dl said:

I know this is an old thread, I used clmrompro to create a split set, picked out the games I wanted and used a bat file to move them into their own folder and imported from that folder into Launchbox. just set your emulator to HBMame. You have to use the entire split set in HBmame rom directory for the games to launch correctly.

Ah, so the main thing is to use split sets, and not merged?

I'll give that a try. I'm really glad you answered, regardless of the date. I never got this resolved. 

Thanks!!

I just wanted to inform you guys that you can use the MAME full-set importer to also import a full HBMAME set since LaunchBox 11.9.

Here's what I wrote about in the beta thread:

On 1/25/2021 at 12:57 AM, CriticalCid said:

Also here's a little tip for anybody using HBMAME. You can use the overhauled MAME full-set importer for HBMAME sets now as well. I just tried it out and it worked like a charm.

It even merges nicely with your already imported MAME games. Just add HBMAME as an emulator and select it in the full-set importer and you're good to go. But be aware that some games have A LOT of hacks which will clutter up the additional apps entries of a single game very quickly. So it might be a better idea to import your HBMAME set as a separate platform. For example, here's a screenshot of King of Fighters '98 to show you what I mean (notice how you can only see the hacks up to the letter C? You have to scroll down the list for quite a while until you reach the end of it and see the other options of the context menu):

grafik.thumb.png.d28c081ed0cf629abf7f9b44cafd13dc.png

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Guys, sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but could someone guide me step by step how to import HBMAME correctly? I tried to import it as MAME, I pointed it to the HBMAME roms directory and LB said that it doesn't contain a MAME full set. Then I imported it as a generic platform and, while it imported everything ok, I don't get a choice to run different versions of the games when I right-click on them like I have for some MAME games. Thx in advance! 

Edited by vulture

• 2 months later...

I managed to get the HBmame versions to show by downgrading launchbox to version "12.4" as this is before the mame fullset importer was updated and uses a sligthly diffrent way off importing mame roms. I then updated back to the current version iam on (13.0). The only issue was i had to delete the "InputBindings.xml" in the Data file within launchbox.

Edited by asmeghead