LaunchBox Community Forums

Tutorial - Xemu Configuration

chilidog

This is for the new original xbox emulator, Xemu.  https://xemu.app/

This is a fork of XQEMU by the current most active dev.  It is a little graphically buggy, but fast and seems to have the best compatibility for the games I am interested in.  Much more stable than cxbx.

All credit goes to ueno from the Xemu discord channel for the configuration and AHK script which i tweaked a bit.

First create a new emulator and point it to your xemu executable.  Set default command-line parameters to "-full-screen -dvd_path".

image.thumb.png.7065c0f9a339501e9037d865bbd4271a.png

In running autohotkey script tab, paste the following:

$Esc::
{
	WinClose, ahk_exe {{{StartupEXE}}}
}

image.thumb.png.95603ab9c38f25ba6ec121281334fcfd.png

This allows to exit with "Esc".

Add your games in ISO format.  CXBX games in folders (or from your HDD) can be converted to ISO with the extract-xiso command-line tool using "-c" parameter.  @Koroth pointed out that XDVDMulleter is also a good tool for this though I have not tried it.

Link to extract-xiso -c example: https://github.com/XboxDev/extract-xiso#create--c

Enjoy :)

Thanks @Retro808 for the better close method.

Edited by chilidog
improve method
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5

15 hours ago, chilidog said:

The first bit sets xemu to fullscreen using a keyboard shortcut. 

Pro tip, you can do this via the command-line!  -full-screen -dvd_path

Add your games in ISO format.  CXBX games in folders (or from your HDD) can be converted with the extract-xiso tool with "-c" parameter.

If you prefer software with a GUI, XDVDMulleter Beta 10.2 works also.

Some iso's don't work in Xemu. For example from Redump. Then first you have to extract the iso to folders, then rebuild back to iso. (Or directly rebuild to a new iso.)

Edited by Koroth
  • Thanks 1

1. Check "Build/Rebuild an ISO" > Next

2. The top/left tab "Load local folder" > Browse > Select your game folder > OK > Next

3. Bottom option "Create standard XBOX 1 ISO (No XBE checks) " > Next

4. Check "Optimise for disk size" > Drop-down menu select "Small as possible" > Next

5. Click "Make ISO" > Select save location > Save

Schermopname (33).jpg

Schermopname (34).jpg

Schermopname (35).jpg

Schermopname (36).jpg

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Wally said:

In big redump files I m get this message and I have no success creating an iso that XEMU will boot evn with the DVD9 option .

1. On the first screen check: "View ISO Details" > Next

2. Load ISO file > Next    (ticking "Check for crosslinkable files" could potentially reduce file-size, but in my one test it didn't matter.)

3. If you get warnings, ignore them and click "No"

4. On the ISO details screen go to de "Other" tab then click "Extract Data Partition"

5. Save your new ISO.

Note: I had only one Redump DVD9 ISO to test with, but the rebuild ISO played fine in Xemu,

*Edit*

@Wally After the rebuild process I ended up with a ISO 6,9 GB in size. After a "Mulleted" rebuild pass (like described 5 comments above) I ended up with a ISO 4,35 GB in size (DVD5). That is the same size as the CXBX-R folder game I had and plays well in Xemu. Although this is not always possible.

Edited by Koroth
  • Like 1

Thanks for the cleaner exit process syntax.  I will edit my post.

For the -full-screen option, that does not work in the 0.5.0 release so I am still using the hotkey, but in the latest compiled binaries I saw on discord that they added the -full-screen feature :) so i will comment that in too with that note.

extract-xiso is easy to use on the command line.  Actually i got the linux version in WSL and used a bash for loop to ISO up all my files in 1 go.  Let me know if anyone is interested in how to do that.  But looks like the XDVDMulleter program does that too.

29 minutes ago, chilidog said:

For the -full-screen option, that does not work in the 0.5.0 release so I am still using the hotkey, but in the latest compiled binaries I saw on discord that they added the -full-screen feature :) so i will comment that in too with that note.

I'm on v0.5.0-4 and it does work. Look a this thread for my setup:

I suspect it is a Xqemu feature on which Xemu is based. I Remembered from a year ago, when I was testing Xqemu.

Edited by Koroth

It's actually inherited from QEMU - i found the parameter by searching for it when first trying to set the emulator up, but xemu has a new UI distinct from XQEMU.  Seems that part was not carried over but they just added support for that parameter in one of the latest builds, apparently it was a 1-liner.

In the latest official download link it does work now so i figured it is OK to edit my post without getting anyone confused.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys - I've been dabbling with trying to get Xemu working now that significant progress has been made but, even after following Koroth's excellent guide through using XDVDMulleter I don't seem to be able to get it to work. 

The Xbox front end starts when I start the application, but as soon as it finishes I get a 'Please insert an Xbox disc' message, despite an iso I've mulleted being loaded. 

I figure I'm doing something really daft somewhere - any ideas what it might be?