LaunchBox Community Forums

Tutorial - Xemu Configuration

chilidog

7 hours ago, mohanned85 said:

hi the exit command does not work any help please

First make sure that exit via controller automation works in LaunchBox and BigBox. Then go to LaunchBox > Tools > Manage Emulators > Xemu > Running AutoHotKey script. Copy and paste:

$Esc::
{
WinClose, ahk_exe xemu.exe
}

or if you have set xemuw.exe as the emulator executable:

{
WinClose, ahk_exe xemuw.exe
}

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, santiifm said:

Hi, i've recently downloaded a ninja gaiden black ISO and extracted it but it ends up being almost 6gb and cannot be converted to xiso with Mulleter as it asks for the ISO to be =<4.5gb. Any way around this?

If the disc does not play with Xemu you must extract the Data Partition using XDVDMulleter. Follow the steps in this post:

https://forums.launchbox-app.com/topic/59105-tutorial-xemu-configuration/?tab=comments#comment-372058

• 5 months later...
On 1/6/2021 at 10:51 PM, chilidog said:

This is for the new original xbox emulator, Xemu.  https://xemu.app/

This is a fork of XQEMU by the current most active dev.  It is a little graphically buggy, but fast and seems to have the best compatibility for the games I am interested in.  Much more stable than cxbx.

All credit goes to ueno from the Xemu discord channel for the configuration and AHK script which i tweaked a bit.

First create a new emulator and point it to your xemu executable.  Set default command-line parameters to "-full-screen -dvd_path".

image.thumb.png.7065c0f9a339501e9037d865bbd4271a.png

In running autohotkey script tab, paste the following:

{
	WinClose, ahk_exe {{{StartupEXE}}}
}

image.thumb.png.95603ab9c38f25ba6ec121281334fcfd.png

This allows to exit with "Esc".

Add your games in ISO format.  CXBX games in folders (or from your HDD) can be converted to ISO with the extract-xiso command-line tool using "-c" parameter.  @Koroth pointed out that XDVDMulleter is also a good tool for this though I have not tried it.

Link to extract-xiso -c example: https://github.com/XboxDev/extract-xiso#create--c

Enjoy :)

Thanks @Retro808 for the better close method.

Hey this is great. It actually runs Conker Live & Reloaded. I've been dying to try this version out.

There seems to be screen tearing, though. Is there any way to turn on vsync within Xemu? I cn't find anything in the settings, but maybe there is a way to edit the "xemu.ini"? Haven't found anything, yet, though.

2 hours ago, Koroth said:

You could force vsync for Xemu via you graphics driver control panel.

Yes, this works, but having the option within the emulator would make the whole setup more independent. Still overall great progress for xbox emulation. Didn't know about it until a few days ago.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2021 at 8:23 PM, SiriusVI said:

Does anyone know how to reduce xiso.iso file sizes further? If I create a xiso from a redump .iso, it's getting much smaller, but I've seen  other people having the same games at even smaller file sizes.

I think some people manually remove unnecessary files (demos, dash updates), which is why you sometimes see smaller files. Depends on the tool that was used.

Conversion to XISO removes the padding (especially on Redump) but doesn't do any compression on the data. What I did was individually 7zipped each XISO, then ticked the 'extract before launching' box in LB Emulator options.

Adds an (up to) 30s delay when launching a game from LB while it extracts to a temp folder, but I think it's worth it to save about 30% on overall file size. Enabling LB's built-in Game Startup screen even shows an accurate loading bar!

2 minutes ago, retroNUC said:

Conversion to XISO removes the padding (especially on Redump) but doesn't do any compression on the data. What I did was individually 7zipped each XISO, then ticked the 'extract before launching' box in LB Emulator options.

Yes that's what I'm doing right now as well. I don't mind a short delay when Launching. I've also tried Compact Gui for PS3 and WiiU games, but the effect was much smaller than I expected. A lot of games were just 100 or 200 mb smaller after compression, but there are certain games that lose several GBs also.

All depends on whether the data to be compressed already has some kind of compression.

Older generations of disc-based console games don't have much compression and tend to just be loose files, so something like LZMA (used by CHD, RVZ, etc.) tend to have a significant effect on file size.

With later consoles like PS3/WiiU, consoles now have enough power to decompress files on the fly without much overhead at all, so the developers ship with compressed data on the disc (LZMA, zlib, Oodle, etc.) Any further compression won't have much effect. 

Edited by retroNUC

5 hours ago, gaialily said:

Has anyone manage to launch "Star wars Knights of the old republic" ? I can't make it working, though my others redump work.

That game is not listed as playable on their compatibility website. You might have to wait a little longer to be able to play it on Xemu.
Source: https://xemu.app/titles/4c410003/#Star-Wars-Knights-of-the-Old-Republic 

• Thanks 1

Another comment on getting Xemu working over the last week or so - I was getting mixed compatibility when using XDVDMulleter to processing Redump ISOs. Around 10% of games wouldn't get recognised by Xemu at all, and some that did hit 'dirty disc' errors in gameplay.

Compiling latest extract-xiso and using that instead fixed all of the issues I was having.

• Like 1

On 8/25/2021 at 12:22 AM, retroNUC said:

Another comment on getting Xemu working over the last week or so - I was getting mixed compatibility when using XDVDMulleter to processing Redump ISOs. Around 10% of games wouldn't get recognised by Xemu at all, and some that did hit 'dirty disc' errors in gameplay.

Compiling latest extract-xiso and using that instead fixed all of the issues I was having.

Tried extrac-iso, but "enclave" et "Kotor" don't work for me. I tried many things and many programs, but no. Though I see on youtube enclave working on xemu.

Edit : Ok nevermind, I try with another bios and it works ! The ind bios 5004 is the only that make working enclave and kotor for me.

Edited by gaialily

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks, i've got my first Xbox game running *hooray* and everything setup in LaunchBox (now i just need to start collecting more games)  

technically it all WORKS... but... i got one big problem, the XEMU .exe itself is not responding for 95 Seconds (no hyperbole, i tested with stopwatch.) all i get is a white screen and nothing happens, then after 95 seconds it suddenly works just fine. The first 20 times i just killed the .exe in Taskmanager because i thought it just crashed and was unresponsive, kept watching YT tutorials and had it open and suddenly it started. But in all YT videos i watch it starts up instantly, i don't understand!  

Anybody got an idea what the issue might be?  

XEMU.jpg

xemu.log

6 hours ago, Z3R0B4NG said:

B)

Not sure if that is the answer, but maybe try Thanks, i've got my first Xbox game running *hooray* and everything setup in LaunchBox (now i just need to start collecting more games)  

technically it all WORKS... but... i got one big problem, the XEMU .exe itself is not responding for 95 Seconds (no hyperbole, i tested with stopwatch.) all i get is a white screen and nothing happens, then after 95 seconds it suddenly works just fine. The first 20 times i just killed the .exe in Taskmanager because i thought it just crashed and was unresponsive, kept watching YT tutorials and had it open and suddenly it started. But in all YT videos i watch it starts up instantly, i don't understand!  

Anybody got an idea what the issue might be?  

XEMU.jpg

xemu.log 2.35 kB · 1 download

I notice in your log file Xemu is running as 128Mb (not the normal 64MB)

I'm not sure this is the answer to why it's running slow, but maybe try setting to the standard 64MB of a XBOX.

11 hours ago, Headrush69 said:

I notice in your log file Xemu is running as 128Mb (not the normal 64MB)

I'm not sure this is the answer to why it's running slow, but maybe try setting to the standard 64MB of a XBOX.

//solved...  
i turned the PC off and on again -.-  
now it starts up instantly. ...OK.  

Edited by Z3R0B4NG