LaunchBox Community Forums

Tutorial - Xemu Configuration

chilidog

Hi all, I've run into an odd snag. So I have started to set up xbox games on my launchbox and been converting a well known HDD set over to iso files from folders. As I was going along I tested each disc in xemu and they worked, all until I got to the letter F. Any of the ones beyond this and Xemu just gives me the "Insert Xbox disc" error. I've tried other tools as well and no luck.
I guess my question is has anyone else had issues, or if they were able to convert everything? At least then I can rule out it being the set that is busted.
I've used the same settings and all so I'm at a loss as to what could suddenly be wrong.

Cheers

UPDATE:
So I tried to replace the HDD file again with a fresh one and now it works. It seems that over time it gets filled up? corrupted? or something and will not boot any "new" titles. I don't know exactly what is wrong, but if someone else gets this issue try replacing your HDD image with a fresh one. Not sure how this affects saves from games though :/

Edited by polygonslayer

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
2 hours ago, shenglong said:

Does anyone have the command line parameters to set resolution scale?

Looking in the documentation on the Xemu website there are no command-line parameters for resolution scaling. Although there is a parameter (-config_path), which you can use to tell Xemu to use an alternative config file (xemu.toml). Make a copy of xemu.toml and rename it to, for example, the name of your game. Open that copy of xemu.toml with an text editor and set your desired resolution scale factor from 1 to 10.

[display.quality]
surface_scale = 1

Example for LaunchBox custom command-line parameter:

-full-screen -dvd_path %romfile% -config_path "E:\LaunchBox\Emulators\Microsoft Xbox\xemu\Halo.toml"

Make sure that -config_path points to your location of the copy of xemu.toml and is between double quotes.

1609016982_Schermopname(101).thumb.jpg.26112f6d075ba4c58e788dfe5f1f4617.jpg

Edited by Your Friendly A.I Overlord

54 minutes ago, Your Friendly A.I Overlord said:

Looking in the documentation on the Xemu website there are no command-line parameters for resolution scaling. Although there is a parameter (-config_path), which you can use to tell Xemu to use an alternative config file (xemu.toml). Make a copy of xemu.toml and rename it to, for example, the name of your game. Open that copy of xemu.toml with an text editor and set your desired resolution scale factor from 1 to 10.

[display.quality]
surface_scale = 1

Example for LaunchBox custom command-line parameter:

-full-screen -dvd_path %romfile% -config_path "E:\LaunchBox\Emulators\Microsoft Xbox\xemu\Halo.toml"

Make sure that -config_path points to your location of the copy of xemu.toml and is between double quotes.

1609016982_Schermopname(101).thumb.jpg.26112f6d075ba4c58e788dfe5f1f4617.jpg

That worked well... Thank you!.... I decided to make .toml files for each of the resolution scales instead of on a per game basis

DO you have any insight on how to make Xemu portable??

1 hour ago, shenglong said:

DO you have any insight on how to make Xemu portable??

Copy all necessary files to the folder with xemu.exe.

791185228_Schermopname(103).thumb.jpg.a09ddcf096a02986b48da860fa4f7af9.jpg

Then open xemu.toml and delete all the paths so that only the filenames remain.

[sys.files]
bootrom_path = 'mcpx_1.0.bin'
flashrom_path = 'Complex 4627 Retail v1.03 (1024Kb).bin'
eeprom_path = 'eeprom.bin'
hdd_path = 'xbox_hdd.qcow2'

To verify, open Xemu > Machine > System and check if the filenames show up. (Without file paths.)

974416733_Schermopname(104).thumb.jpg.f75241c2f8b1b376616c1a22a5e50aaa.jpg

*Edit*

@shenglong I just realized, seeing as you use copies of xemu.toml, make sure they are in the emulator folder as well and that they also have all paths removed. Now Xemu should be portable. But beware. In my previous example for a LaunchBox custom command-line I used -config_path with an absolute path. If you put all custom .toml's in your Xemu folder, you could use a relative path in the LaunchBox custom command-line as well.

Example:

-full-screen -dvd_path %romfile% -config_path "Halo.toml"

Edited by Your Friendly A.I Overlord
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

Does anyone know how to get project gotham 2 working? It says 'please insert an xbox disc..'
None of them work on Xemu, but PGR 2 stands on the compability list as a working game (https://xemu.app/#compatibility)
Most games work fine for me on xemu

What I have tried: 
1. downloaded the rom from different sites
2. ftpt the game which works, from my original xbox
3. Using Xemu repair redump (it instantly closes)

On 1/29/2021 at 2:06 AM, Your Friendly A.I Overlord said:

First make sure that exit via controller automation works in LaunchBox and BigBox. Then go to LaunchBox > Tools > Manage Emulators > Xemu > Running AutoHotKey script. Copy and paste:

$Esc::
{
WinClose, ahk_exe xemu.exe
}

or if you have set xemuw.exe as the emulator executable:

{
WinClose, ahk_exe xemuw.exe
}

On 1/29/2021 at 11:58 AM, mohanned85 said:

it didnt work
but I used this and it worked

{
  Send !{f4}
  Return
}

None of these work for me and I see the key combo to exit the emulator is ctrl+q what would the script be to send a ctrl+q when I hit the Esc key in launchbox/bigbox

6 hours ago, Kloot4zak said:

Does anyone know how to get project gotham 2 working? It says 'please insert an xbox disc..'
None of them work on Xemu, but PGR 2 stands on the compability list as a working game (https://xemu.app/#compatibility)
Most games work fine for me on xemu

It says playable, but if you looked at the detailed report it mentions it plays at very low framerate.

On my Ryzen 5600G and Nvidia 1660, I experience the same thing. Very slow and plays, but not what I would consider playable. (Yes other games play perfectly)

• 2 weeks later...

I want to add a little bit to this tutorial. Though it may be niche, this is for those that are running Windoze 10 and 11, want to use the OG Xbox controller (and many other OG Xbox controller variants such as the Logitech Cordless Precision) but couldn't get XBCD and/or TigerGame controller driver to work (code 39). So, there is an Xinput wrapper called Xb2Xinput, head over to this, download and extract to your desktop. Watch this video and follow step-by-step. This process takes a bit of time but the results are amazing. If you are like me and are using a wireless controller, it will always show up as a controller that is plugged in (if you keep Xb2Xinput running in the background) ie: Player 1. This will screw with your other emu's input config, so in LB, go to Tools>Manage>Emulators>Select Xemu>select "Running Script" and paste the following(making sure to edit the path for XB2Xinput):

loop {
        WinWaitActive, ahk_exe xemu.exe
        sleep 10
        Run, Z😕HTPC\Scripts\lib\Data\Tools\Gamepad Tools\Xb2Xinput\XB2Xinput.exe
        WinWaitClose
        Process, Close, Xb2Xinput.exe
    }

{
        WinClose, ahk_exe {{{StartupEXE}}}
    }

Now when you launch any game in Xemu, it will launch Xb2input and wait for xemu to close and then close Xb2XInput.exe, making it so that the controller only works for Xemu and is never recognized by the system as a gamepad so it will never muck up your other emu mappings. Again, this is for a rather niche crowd that wants to use the OG controller for that authentic experience. Hope this helps someone out. I am sure there is a much easier way of doing this and if there is, lmk, I will try it out. Cheers!

Edited by CtinD

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, iahawks said:

I get the following error on all of my Xbox games. Do I have something setup incorrectly?

image.png.a58baf2299837c0f19c5ced13b6fef99.png

Open Xemu and go to Settings. Click on Flash ROM (BIOS) and navigate to your flash ROM file and select it.

image.thumb.png.d4dcc41d5cac5944794b5cdb95a6636c.png