LaunchBox Community Forums

Pulse Theme

thimolor

19 hours ago, Dan Patrick said:

Nice! I do enjoy those circles. The blue is not bad really! I like how it's tied to the same color as the glow. The completed, favorite, broken look nice. For some reason, I drew some new icons for you to look at. I tried to simplify the trophy a bit and also rethink the broken icon. Your current icons are literally, perfectly fine though. The only one I had qualms about was the broken icon. It's a bit unclear to me. I don't have your blue so you'd have to recolor them. I just made them black. I included a vector pdf if you want to change it.  Theres 5 icons 2 possible for broken and completed and the same heart favorite. You won't hurt my feelings if you don't want to use them. I did them on a whim. No big.

I still think the info could go up a touch closer to the title. Also should the title and all its info be centered in the upper section? Not sure. The theme's great! I'm nitpicking here. 

I also included a new coloring for 2 logos Neo Geo AES and NEC Supergrafx. Both were pretty off and now are more vivid and much closer to the original imo.

Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 12.36.46 PM.png

Icons + Couple of Logos.zip 700.13 kB · 0 downloads

Nice icons! I will use these. I agree with the broken robot, it was bad. I think I will make the circles gray. They pop too much now. Making other minor adjustments also. I will put the info closer to the title also there is now 48 px. I will try 32-40 px space there.

1944691363_BigBoxScreenshot-Vlke-HorizontalWheel1GamesView-2021-03-2015_17_58.thumb.jpg.09ac72a7291d6ec36b0ef09b7d792620.jpg

Edited by thimolor
  • Like 1

• thimolor changed the title to Pulse Theme

Love the name Pulse! That's so good! A cool sounding word and it fits the glowing line. The positioning of the title and details looks a lot better there. I have to agree with you about the circles. The blue is honestly nice but a bit too popping. Maybe the other icons should be grey also. It seems a little funny to have only one thing pop with that blue(other than the glow itself). 

Glad you like the icons! This is simply my favorite theme. I may be a little biased because I helped a little, but still. Love it!

One tiny thing I just thought of, I like how you have the lines for the selected logo at the bottom in that image . Are those two lines darker than the rest of the lines? It's just is a little hard to see those. I think the lines work well there. Maybe make them a bit more visible. 

5 hours ago, Dan Patrick said:

Love the name Pulse! That's so good! A cool sounding word and it fits the glowing line. The positioning of the title and details looks a lot better there. I have to agree with you about the circles. The blue is honestly nice but a bit too popping. Maybe the other icons should be grey also. It seems a little funny to have only one thing pop with that blue(other than the glow itself). 

Glad you like the icons! This is simply my favorite theme. I may be a little biased because I helped a little, but still. Love it!

One tiny thing I just thought of, I like how you have the lines for the selected logo at the bottom in that image . Are those two lines darker than the rest of the lines? It's just is a little hard to see those. I think the lines work well there. Maybe make them a bit more visible. 

Thanks, The lines are the same gray (#292929). I just added some pulsating animation in sync with the glow, so they get dimmer.

• Like 1

This is slowly becoming my never ending story. Making a lot of little tweaking everywhere and adding better support for custom playlists (no custom banners or logos needed, theme still looks fine and not broken). Making sure, that you can use what ever art you choose to. If you don't want to use device images, you can use fan art instead. No need for photoshop templates.

198148477_BigBoxScreenshot-Pulse-PlatformWheel1FiltersView-2021-03-2123_24_34.thumb.jpg.d0be7eb115095561e23c07bed08b9d79.jpg

558918216_BigBoxScreenshot-Pulse-PlatformWheel2FiltersView-2021-03-2123_25_37.thumb.jpg.ae9dc980ac4d176d0f3a8d1a0a09d56d.jpg

1327701220_BigBoxScreenshot-Pulse-PlatformWheel3FiltersView-2021-03-2123_25_45.thumb.jpg.63512d5f6853ed1c4bf1308aab3438db.jpg

2050267714_BigBoxScreenshot-Pulse-PlatformWheel1FiltersView-2021-03-2123_35_33.thumb.jpg.52f4fd5e1f6c1228f3cf0f67178e3b76.jpg

1628646_BigBoxScreenshot-Pulse-PlatformWheel1FiltersView-2021-03-2123_31_26.thumb.jpg.d11464259d5ed13bfeffe175a120204f.jpg

2119166878_BigBoxScreenshot-Pulse-PlatformWheel3FiltersView-2021-03-2123_30_17.thumb.jpg.783799c7730a4859a9ecc51bfac571dd.jpg

378706367_BigBoxScreenshot-Pulse-HorizontalWheel1GamesView-2021-03-2123_25_09.thumb.jpg.ee85341ec19b53ed8f18deef5eb5b623.jpg

448885985_BigBoxScreenshot-Pulse-TextGamesView-2021-03-2123_25_18.thumb.jpg.d340e8f4feb29b3226bbeee71a633159.jpg

1975589276_BigBoxScreenshot-Pulse-SystemView-2021-03-2123_26_03.thumb.jpg.f1563114bb3904f6fe98bbd2a1765368.jpg

• Like 2

I tried to come up with a critique and nothing came to me! The changes you've made make sense. As long as you don't do any drastic changes you're golden! I enjoy your other themes but this is your magnum opus. 

I just realized I never sent you my Sega CD Logo somehow. I drew the logo earlier but it got overlooked amongst all my files. It's quite accurate I believe. I've included my version of it here if you want it.

Sega CD.7z

Edited by Dan Patrick
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Dan Patrick said:

I tried to come up with a critique and nothing came to me! The changes you've made make sense. As long as you don't do any drastic changes you're golden! I enjoy your other themes but this is your magnum opus. 

I just realized I never sent you my Sega CD Logo somehow. I drew the logo earlier but it got overlooked amongst all my files. It's quite accurate I believe. I've included my version of it here if you want it.

Sega CD.7z 124.55 kB · 1 download

I promise I won't overhaul the theme anymore. Some tweaking and testing with different aspect ratios. Thanks for the logos again.

• Game On 1

Hey thimolor, I finally got some time to look at the theme in Big Box. It seems slightly different than what I remember. Namely the gradients and drop shadows that helped separate the major sections of each screen seem to be absent.  Looking at your screenshots from earlier posts on this thread, maybe my system isn't loading the theme correctly. I'm running the latest updates to my knowledge and I'm running it at 4k 3840x2160 at 225% scaling for Windows. 

I circled that little number 2 on my screenshot. Is that supposed to be the number of players? It didn't land in the right position somehow. 

Also I made a note about the text lists. They are not centered vertically. The list hit the bottom of the screen but still had a decent sized gap at the top of the screen. 

Hopefully you can figure out these issues. I did want to say that the animations look smooth and really nice! I especially like how the smaller groups of info (year, genre, region etc) animate in. Really cool.

Untitled-47-01.png

10 hours ago, Dan Patrick said:

Hey thimolor, I finally got some time to look at the theme in Big Box. It seems slightly different than what I remember. Namely the gradients and drop shadows that helped separate the major sections of each screen seem to be absent.  Looking at your screenshots from earlier posts on this thread, maybe my system isn't loading the theme correctly. I'm running the latest updates to my knowledge and I'm running it at 4k 3840x2160 at 225% scaling for Windows. 

I circled that little number 2 on my screenshot. Is that supposed to be the number of players? It didn't land in the right position somehow. 

Also I made a note about the text lists. They are not centered vertically. The list hit the bottom of the screen but still had a decent sized gap at the top of the screen. 

Hopefully you can figure out these issues. I did want to say that the animations look smooth and really nice! I especially like how the smaller groups of info (year, genre, region etc) animate in. Really cool.

Untitled-47-01.png

It seems you have the wrong font (should be barlow, see the theme folder/fonts), no icons and no background images, no glow.. this is why you don't see the gradients. Something wrong with your setup. Are the assets in the theme folder (media/Theme Assets/)? The text list cannot be centered when doing responsive theme. It will cut the bottom list item, and it just looks broken, when the list is not aligned to bottom. Only way to change this, is to make the list height 100% (this is something I will try out.)

Edited by thimolor
  • The Cake is a Lie 1

52 minutes ago, virividiann1198 said:

this might be the most cursed comment you'll ever read thimolor, but will you update your older themes for the new Wall View too? (please don't kill me)

As always, your themes as absolutely fantastic, I basically have no feedback for Pulse since it already looks great.

No, I don't want to use my time adding stuff to those anymore. Actually I would like to remove them completely after I finish Pulse. I know you didn't want to hear this, but I just don't want to revisit my old work because it looks bad now :)

• Haha 1

I don't blame you thimolor. That would be a ton of work to edit all your other themes. I would encourage you to leave the other themes on here but I understand what you mean. You get better the more and more you do something like this. Your graphic design skills have gotten better and this theme shows that. Again, I appreciate all the hard work on this. I am excited at the potential of these new wall view abilities and this will be a perfect theme to show off that feature.

Side note: I still can't get the gradients and icons to show up for me. I know it is on my end but still...why is this happening? Other themes load backgrounds and images. Every image loads except the gradient background and little icons on this theme.  I've tried to refresh images and made sure to not alter theme files. Not sure what it is for me.