LaunchBox Community Forums

Pulse Theme

thimolor

4 hours ago, Dan Patrick said:

Thanks! I didn't even think about the platform view top section to be connected like that. That's such a good, simple solution for that. I literally love that! Happy to see the "available games" part figured out too! That looks great! Dude, this theme is dope! 

I made a very rough and quick video showcasing an animation technique I think you could try. The 4k/hd version of the video is still processing. It's a subtle bounce that has to be created manually with 2 different animations. I couldn't explain it without a little video. Anyway, I was thinking that bounce effect would look great for the platform images as they come in. 

Wow, I like how you are pixel perfect :) I must say i will disappoint you with the logos provided with the theme. I used many logos from your zips, but some had different color. I'm not sure what are accured colors, but the ones you provided, some had darker colors that looked like CMYK variations. I'm trying your animation, and I think I got it working. Looking at it and deciding if it's a keeper.

• Like 1

Hey thanks. No problem, you can use whatever logos you like! That being said, I want to fix/improve the ones you think are not the right colors. I have done a lot of research on the logos and I see a lot of inconsistent colors and faded images with weird lighting, so it's hard for me to tell what the real colors are. One of the ones I know that's a bit dark is the turbo grafx/cd logos. The only reason those ones are so dark is because on the official TG16 mini website, the logos are those exact colors I swear. I've already thought those ones need a lighter version. The main thing that I know is improved on my logos is the actual logo shapes themselves. The colors though...are not always so perfect. I would really appreciate your feedback on which ones seem off in color! You don't have to know the exact color, just give me a list of which ones you think are too dark. I want them to be as accurate as possible. You can still use whatever logos you like obviously.

I've been wanting to ask, are you sold on the name Bare Bones? This is such a cool theme. I feel like the name almost undersells it! If you love the name, that's totally cool. I've just thought about some alternate names. What about something like: "Midnight", "Glow Line", "Essential" (because its only the essentials) or even "Essence". I don't know, I'm not really good with names myself but maybe there's a cooler sounding name you haven't thought of.

See what you can do with the animation. The subtle bounce is 100% not necessary but it's a neat option. I'm sure you'll come up with something very clean. Thanks for your hard work! Also, thank you for humoring me with all the advice I've given you on this theme. You definitely didn't need me! You have great ideas! ?

Again, if you could, please send me a list of logos that need a color adjust. I trust your opinion!

EDIT: I made a new MAME Logo that's a bit cleaner. It's the exact same logo but there's several small alignment fixes from the original logo. You don't have to use it but I thought I'd send it to you now that I made it. It was a last minute addition. 

New MAME logo.7z

Edited by Dan Patrick

@Dan Patrick Well PC Engine seems to be too orange, I think Super Nintendo red should be brighter: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:SNES_logo.svg, same with the Super Acan, the colors should be brighter.  And Sega 32X red also seems to be too dark/orange. https://www.amazon.co.uk/SEGA-MK-84001-32X-console/dp/B0007ZNH5I. These are my gut feelings mostly. It's really hard to get the exact original colors without any brandbooks and original source material.

The theme name started as BareBones, because I wanted to make something really simple. Now it does not look that anymore. So your right, I should change the name. Thanks for the examples. Midnight could be a good starting point for the new name.

• Like 1

I will have to go through those and see if I can't get a better color for them. If you see any others please let me know. The only one out of what you mentioned that I will defend is the super Nintendo logo. I'm pretty positive that one actually is right. That is actually an official vector from Nintendo. https://www.nintendo.com/super-nes-classic/ . Although there's a chance that the new logo is darker than the original logo used in the 90s. Anyways, if you don't mind, I'll send you those ones updated sometime soon. Thanks for the logo feedback!

@Dan Patrick would not trust web developers to get the colors right in there :) (I have some experience in that...). It seems they have used many different red tints there. They may have changed the color for the mini, who knows.

snens-reds.jpg.9dffe2168941a77a6a29af6e1731063d.jpg

For my eyes, this one has more the original snes red: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:SNES_logo.svg

And looking at these packages, it should be more vibrant than it is on that website you linked:

snes-retro-super-nintendo-9.jpg

Edited by thimolor
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, thimolor said:

Now playing with colors. Midnight made me change the gray to purple. Now it's more inline with the glow and light strip.

710152891_BigBoxScreenshot-BareBones-PlatformWheel2FiltersView-2021-03-0822_22_58.thumb.jpg.d552e67ac12cda04958071b1a66e4f98.jpg

It looks good but then it would be a purple Barebones, maybe make the glow white glow with grey/black, I like the grey/black better, it speaks your theme's title, just my opinion though :) 

• Like 2

Interesting about the snes logo. I see what you're saying. I'll give you a brighter one with those others I'm altering colors on. I might include the darker one in my full set later as an alternate. 

I'm going to have to agree with kidsholin here. I do kinda like the great/black better. I did like the color on the glow line with the greyscale. The purple is good too though! I just prefer the previous color scheme a bit more. Maybe there can be both? While the name may change from bare bones, the minimalistic approach is what drew me to this theme. That's still in the themes DNA. If it's called Midnight it could definitely be purple but greys and blacks would work just as well. 

• Game On 2

Altered the colors on several logos here. I looked at multiple references images and tried to do an average shade based on what I was commonly seeing. I don't know how I had the 32x and Super Acan logo so dark and didn't notice lol. The PC Engine was orange because I used a photo that was at an angle so the logo had more of a orange tint. I don't know why I didn't see that one earlier. From all the photos I've seen, it's a true red with like, one drop of pink. The SNES logo is nearly the brightest RGB red. Super Acan is brighter and more saturated. The 32X is brighter and the 90s style Sega logo is a bit more bright as well. I sent a genesis logo with this brighter Sega logo too(It only effected one version). I also am sending a new NES logo only because the previous registration mark was misshapen somehow and I added a version with white fill if you want that instead. Also the red is now the more vivid Nintendo Switch red. It's a minor difference. The TG16/CD logos I think are much closer too. I'm looking hard at the colors as I'm doing my final organizations to the logos. I may find a couple more at some point but nothing super obvious has hit me yet other than what you mentioned.  :) 

New Colored Logos-01.png

new colored logos.7z

Edited by Dan Patrick
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, damageinc86 said:

well that's an interesting take on the "wheel".  I can't decide if I like it or not lol.  I think I do? haha.

I kind of liked it also, but still decided to remove the roundness. It highlighted the selected game well and the motion was nice, but it did not seem to fit in the overall look of the theme.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, thimolor said:

I kind of liked it also, but still decided to remove the roundness. It highlighted the selected game well and the motion was nice, but it did not seem to fit in the overall look of the theme.

I like the slight splash of color to help highlight the box though.  That might be nice to have in the other views.

• Like 1

I personally don't like the sections that are now clearly visible (top right info, top left video/screenshot, bottom wheel). Trying to fade the gap between them a little. I now used the same background for both sections and widened the separator lines to full width, put the glow behind the box art, favorite symbol above the box art. This composition would scale batter to different aspect ratios and allow for better video aspect support also.

947745936_BigBoxScreenshot-Vlke-HorizontalWheel1GamesView-2021-03-1021_42_46.thumb.jpg.5e0b8e616efa0f07cfd150a9bda530c3.jpg

Edited by thimolor

What about this? It's not perfect, but I may have a couple of good thoughts within this screenshot.  So, I'm not a big fan of having the various pieces of information being spread out so much in the example you showed. The layout that I'm suggesting has info more grouped together. All icons are in the top right. There may be a better solution for where the icons should go. I put the platform name above and centered. To me that makes perfect sense. I realize you had the video/screenshot centered in the left half. I imagined it being right aligned to the center. That may not be possible. If not it's good the way it was too. I think the year and genre belong with the title since its the most important information to me. I think the line on the left of the title looks good and helps it to feel less like its floating in the middle of nowhere. I should have centered the dev/title/year/genre vertically (I did this in a hurry lol). I don't mind the one grey gradient across the entire screen like you have it but I still think that it ads depth for the top and bottom to feel separate. I kept the gradient like you had it but I added a drop shadow under the glow line. It's not exactly a perfect solution but it does give it some depth. These are just some rough thoughts, see what you think.

525443654_BigBoxScreenshot-Vlke-HorizontalWheel1GamesView-2021-03-1021_42_46.jpg.0956eddb323d4b934ffbaa3cbf223aae-02.png

Edited by Dan Patrick
  • Like 1

I think I will settle with this one. The shadow above the boxes was a great idea Dan. Needed to add more space between the boxes to work better with horizontal boxes and 4:3 ratio. The view has quite a lot of subtle animations. Now I have to implement these tweaks for the other views also.

1406004630_BigBoxScreenshot-Vlke-HorizontalWheel1GamesView-2021-03-1619_01_13.thumb.jpg.dc556c662a2b76827b6c8e71c5beedca.jpg

• Like 1

Man! That looks great! Amazing job! I think the rating under the box works well but what if you replaced the stars with the circles from your previous theme. I thought those circles looked clean. I imagine it as the same light grey used elsewhere. If you think the stars work better than I still think it should be the light grey. The only other thing is, I think the info below the title should be a tiny bit closer to the game title. I can't wait to use this theme. Excellent stuff!

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Dan Patrick said:

Man! That looks great! Amazing job! I think the rating under the box works well but what if you replaced the stars with the circles from your previous theme. I thought those circles looked clean. I imagine it as the same light grey used elsewhere. If you think the stars work better than I still think it should be the light grey. The only other thing is, I think the info below the title should be a tiny bit closer to the game title. I can't wait to use this theme. Excellent stuff!

You shall have your improvements :)

Nice! I do enjoy those circles. The blue is not bad really! I like how it's tied to the same color as the glow. The completed, favorite, broken look nice. For some reason, I drew some new icons for you to look at. I tried to simplify the trophy a bit and also rethink the broken icon. Your current icons are literally, perfectly fine though. The only one I had qualms about was the broken icon. It's a bit unclear to me. I don't have your blue so you'd have to recolor them. I just made them black. I included a vector pdf if you want to change it.  Theres 5 icons 2 possible for broken and completed and the same heart favorite. You won't hurt my feelings if you don't want to use them. I did them on a whim. No big.

I still think the info could go up a touch closer to the title. Also should the title and all its info be centered in the upper section? Not sure. The theme's great! I'm nitpicking here. 

I also included a new coloring for 2 logos Neo Geo AES and NEC Supergrafx. Both were pretty off and now are more vivid and much closer to the original imo.

Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 12.36.46 PM.png

Icons + Couple of Logos.zip

• Thanks 1