LaunchBox Community Forums

I am running out of space. Any ideas on how best to use storage?

WInzen

So I noticed that im running out of space.   And I see that IMAGES and MUSIC and VIDEO is now nearly 1/5 of my 500gb drive space. As well as my roms.

Maybe you have experience with this and cam make suggestions.   But I  am still adding new roms and plan on adding the BB jukebox and music files.

This is a dedicated pc win 10 LAUNCHBOX system with only launchbox and related software.

I have 2 drives.

1. 500gb ssd for software system and most roms
  2. 2TB hd for backup and lazerdisc games.

Trying to keep roms on the faster drive but that is becoming increasingly difficult.  Also not sure how much spare space I should have.

• Can someone suggest what should be where and if there is anything i dont need or how they would do it differently to optimise space and efficency ?

Thanks ?

Untitled.png

Yeah the images and video is a killer with having a nice launchbox setup.  Even worse if you have a theme like bannerbox, which requires a full replacement set of images since it cannot compile all your existing images into the banner image on the fly.  My 2TB drive filled up FAST!  I would say, just get a bigger drive honestly lol.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, damageinc86 said:

Yeah the images and video is a killer with having a nice launchbox setup.  Even worse if you have a theme like bannerbox, which requires a full replacement set of images since it cannot compile all your existing images into the banner image on the fly.  My 2TB drive filled up FAST!  I would say, just get a bigger drive honestly lol.

sadly i cant do that as to put all my system on a new drive is just too much and its all brand new.  So could i put some of my roms on my 2tb drive ? i.e. which roms dont need speed of the ssd ?

I have lazer disc on the larger slower drive with no issues.  What about mame or wii or cube etc ? or portables?  in otherwords do some roms to your knowlegde benefit from ssd?

thanks for replying

Just now, WInzen said:

sadly i cant do that as to put all my system on a new drive is just too much and its all brand new.  So could i put some of my roms on my 2tb drive ? i.e. which roms dont need speed of the ssd ?

I have lazer disc on the larger slower drive with no issues.  What about mame or wii or cube etc ? or portables?  in otherwords do some roms to your knowlegde benefit from ssd?

thanks for replying

I have all my roms on a 5400rpm drive, and Launchbox on the ssd, roms dont benefit from being on a ssd at all.

• Thanks 1

Just now, neil9000 said:

I have all my roms on a 5400rpm drive, and Launchbox on the ssd, roms dont benefit from being on a ssd at all.

ah ha thats good news! makes my life a lot easier!

thank you neil you are a fountain of information which i hope to pay back to the community in the future!

13 hours ago, JoeViking245 said:

Go to Tools and select Clean Up Media....  and select what you want removed.

image.thumb.png.4f6cdb5a876f82927c6a04d384b69d3c.png

great i manages to get rid of 47 gigs of unused stuff!  thanks

LAUNCH BOX IS THE BEST! as is this community ;)

Edited by WInzen
  • Game On 1