LaunchBox Community Forums

Totally stumped after hours of trying to import PC games can you help or suggest something i missed?

Gogamer1001

This is my situation.

Love Launchbox however I am having trouble importing multple games that are backups in folders and compressed.  Basically the game folder is named say i.e. "skyrim"  and the files inside are compressed using multiple zip files.  I can import the game by searching for the games meta data if it is available and downloading all the box covers etc.  However when I drag and drop multiple game folders with proper naming convention it will not populate inside my platform.

I have over 500 games like this I want to move over but doing them one by one is a serious going to slow my progress getting the games I want to be on my games list.    I noticed if the game is installed the import system will  pick up the meta data.   

I would prefer not to install the game.     What am i missing here and what can I do besides installing the game to do a bulk import of these PC games?

Thanks

Hi @Unrealcpu,

If I'm reading correctly, you are using LaunchBox as more of a way for you to catalog the games you have all zipped up and stored within their own folders? Your not using LaunchBox to launch the games.

If this is true, you may want to consider creating txt files based on the names of your game folders and then importing those txt files into LaunchBox. I can help you with this if you need.

On 7/27/2021 at 4:33 PM, faeran said:

Hi @Unrealcpu,

If I'm reading correctly, you are using LaunchBox as more of a way for you to catalog the games you have all zipped up and stored within their own folders? Your not using LaunchBox to launch the games.

If this is true, you may want to consider creating txt files based on the names of your game folders and then importing those txt files into LaunchBox. I can help you with this if you need.

That would be great if this is the solution to import my games.  The games are not using winzip /rar  but they are compressed using a program  with a setup.exe that installs the game.  The import function will not add the game if i drag and drop this folder.  The only way to add is to add a game to a platform and search each game  until the meta data for that game can be downloaded.  I am assuming what you are saying is that I need to use some special program maybe to generate a .txt in each game folder?  Maybe this can be done quickly if my game folder  is already named after the game that is compressed inside?

Thanks look forward to your response.

@Unrealcpu If the Setup.Exe files are all in folders with title of the game, then the easiest would be to run the import wizard within LB.  Then do import of files and select "Setup.EXE" (or whatever is the common file you have in the folder setup).  Then when you come to this option select option to use the folder name rather than the "Setup.EXE" for doing media searches and naming.  Then it should pick up the media based on folder title versus whatever file you imported.  The dummy text file method (or batch file) is useful if for some reason you don't have consistent folder names.  Whatever the text file is named is what LB will import for search purposes. I use this method for Daphne for example and some other platforms using batch files.  

Capture.thumb.PNG.2c0baac93e647966c827ba9c41a6d04e.PNG

Thanks this did the trick, I used the import roms wizard and selected my folder containing all the game folder names then check the box , use folder names.

The only issue I came across was that I could select all the game folders by using the "CTR-A"  command to highlight all the folders I wanted to import.  It is fine to just use the root folder with all the game folders in there but if I do that launchbox will force subfolders.  I can delete the subfolders later on when the import list is shown.

The option to check the box "import files from specified folders only (no subbfolders) will basically cause me not to see any of my game folders when selecting the root folder where all the game folders are located.  So i had to uncheck that and later delete the sub folder .    Not a big issue but would seem this could be addressed  as an issue

Not sure if this makes sense but figured I mention it if this needs to be updated so maybe it would be possible to add the CTR-A to select or deselect which folders you want to add.

Or maybe I am just doing it wrong  idk but I was able to import everything successfully thanks

Looks like i found another issue with Importing xbox microsoft store games.

I have two account and i logged into one but now when i try to log into the other account to import the games , it will just always auto login into my first account.

I see for a second the window pop up for xbox/microsoft store login through the launchbox application after you complete the import process.      I have tried everything , removing my computer from the msoft store security settings, clearing cache.. nothing.   I noticed in options windows /xbox/ store is not an option to change your login settings where as you have steam / origin etc. 

stumped!

19 hours ago, Unrealcpu said:

Thanks this did the trick, I used the import roms wizard and selected my folder containing all the game folder names then check the box , use folder names.

The only issue I came across was that I could select all the game folders by using the "CTR-A"  command to highlight all the folders I wanted to import.  It is fine to just use the root folder with all the game folders in there but if I do that launchbox will force subfolders.  I can delete the subfolders later on when the import list is shown.

The option to check the box "import files from specified folders only (no subbfolders) will basically cause me not to see any of my game folders when selecting the root folder where all the game folders are located.  So i had to uncheck that and later delete the sub folder .    Not a big issue but would seem this could be addressed  as an issue

Not sure if this makes sense but figured I mention it if this needs to be updated so maybe it would be possible to add the CTR-A to select or deselect which folders you want to add.

Or maybe I am just doing it wrong  idk but I was able to import everything successfully thanks

Maybe not exactly tracking on issue, but when you are in window where you use "Ctrl-A" to select all you can use CTRL mouse click to to toggle unselect and/or SHIFT mouse click to select all between highlighted selection to mouse click selection.  Still some work but don't have to do it at the end right before import.  

yes the ctr -a  to select all or pressing the mouse button to hightlight multiple folders will not work.   its ok I was able to find a work around by deleting the folders i did not want..  The only thing I do not get is why launch box is not able to pick up a force login or a new login when importing xbox /store games .   Do you know where they store user name and passwords? I t is not enabled in the option menu , under integrations on the left tab.. 

On 7/30/2021 at 6:20 PM, Unrealcpu said:

Tried but not working

Going to need a bit more information from ya. If that is checked and you press Next, do you NOT get a login screen at all? Need a bit more details other that "it didn't work" so that I can help either determine how to correct, or if we have a bug.

Checking the box force login will not work. I see a pop up but the. Disappears and will import my games from my other ms account

i did upgrade to 11.5 launch box yesterday and  the login came up , entered my other ms account but still imported the wrong games list from my purchase history.

Tried reinstalling launch box 11.5 latest version keeping the same config and would not work again.

• 4 weeks later...

I just fixed a similar issue for myself by going into Launchbox>thirdparty>chromium, and deleting out the cache, cookies, and some of the more recent files.  I would assume you could install a fresh blank install of launchbox somewhere, delete the entire chromium folder from your main/original install, and then replace it from the one from the fresh install and it should reset everything relating to the internal browser allowing it to fix the issue.

Edited by Eviljubs
  • Like 1

Microsoft changed the cookie domain they were using apparently. I have code change in place that should make that "Force New Login" check box to work properly. Will let you know when the code is in a beta so you can confirm it's working for you.