LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox for Android New Version - Beta Testing

Jason Carr

@spacemonkey @Eyebrows Cat I'm a bit weirded out, because that com.unbrokensoftware.launchbox.provider reference from the error message isn't anywhere that should matter in the code, but I did remove it from the one spot that it existed, though it shouldn't have been relevant.

Beta 6 is out now, and hopefully it might fix the issue?

I've been testing on Android 9 with an Amazon Fire tablet, but it doesn't seem to have these issues. @Eyebrows Cat What device are you using and what version of Android is it running?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Thanks, that might be helpful. Is that similar to the issue you're getting @bundangdon? I also need to know what devices are having this issue.

Yep, that looks like the same error. I'm using a Galaxy S10e with Android 9 installed.

And I tried the latest beta that was just released (now) and it seems to be working fine again. Thanks a lot!

Edited by bundangdon
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

@spacemonkey @Eyebrows Cat I'm a bit weirded out, because that com.unbrokensoftware.launchbox.provider reference from the error message isn't anywhere that should matter in the code, but I did remove it from the one spot that it existed, though it shouldn't have been relevant.

I've been testing on Android 9 with an Amazon Fire tablet, but it doesn't seem to have these issues. @Eyebrows Cat What device are you using and what version of Android is it running?

I managed to get 1.1 beta 6 installed but it appears the issue is somewhat to do with the auto installer.

I deleted the contents of /launchbox/updates

Launched 1.0 > it prompted to update > downloaded > prompted to install > failed with error message

I closed Launchbox > file browsed to /launchbox/updates/  selected 1.1 beta 6 > it installed ok.

Regards,

Mat

@Jason Carr Thanks for keeping up with all the issues that have come up as you navigate around the crappy rules setup by Google. You are doing an awesome job. A couple of things I would love to see next include:

search/skip by letter

add game descriptions 

refine search (currently the search option is very broad) 

customizable themes

Hopefully you have these items in mind. Launchbox for Android is becoming something special. God Bless and have a good day.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

This environment is Xiaomi MI Pad 4 / Pixel experience plus (Based on android 9 / rooted).  I'm still getting the same error.

9 hours ago, spacemonkey said:

I managed to get 1.1 beta 6 installed but it appears the issue is somewhat to do with the auto installer.

Launched 1.0 > it prompted to update > downloaded > prompted to install > failed with error message

I closed Launchbox > file browsed to /launchbox/updates/  selected 1.1 beta 6 > it installed ok.

Regards,

Mat

I was able to update this way.  thank you.

10 hours ago, spacemonkey said:

Regards,

Mat

1 hour ago, Eyebrows Cat said:

This environment is Xiaomi MI Pad 4 / Pixel experience plus (Based on android 9 / rooted).  I'm still getting the same error.

Thanks guys, so it looks like we've fixed the APK so that it actually installs, but we must still have an issue with the code that installs the APK, from what it sounds like. I'll see what I can do to get that fixed for the next version. Unfortunately though, even if I do get it fixed, you'll need to manually update to the next version (at least), since the updater will be using the current code to update.

5 hours ago, Vader said:

@Jason Carr Thanks for keeping up with all the issues that have come up as you navigate around the crappy rules setup by Google. You are doing an awesome job. A couple of things I would love to see next include:

search/skip by letter

add game descriptions 

refine search (currently the search option is very broad) 

customizable themes

Hopefully you have these items in mind. Launchbox for Android is becoming something special. God Bless and have a good day.

Thanks, yup, all of those we do have in mind.

5 hours ago, Soop said:

I'm getting this error now since the last two updates:

Screenshot_20220224-140440.jpg

Edit- ignore, I reimported and it's working again now.

Yeah, I have seen that before. I think this happens when the app is killed during the XML generation, which we already work hard to prevent, but apparently it's not quite 100%. I'll be revisiting this for the next beta.

1 hour ago, sage2050 said:

import is creating two copies of games with m3u playlists, even when the m3u is name the same as the game ( ie GAME (USA) (Disc 1).cue and GAME (USA).m3u )

I hear launchbox can create m3us, but i already had them.

Good to know. In general, we need a better way to filter game file types on imports, so we'll probably tackle this when we tackle that.

6 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Thanks guys, so it looks like we've fixed the APK so that it actually installs, but we must still have an issue with the code that installs the APK, from what it sounds like. I'll see what I can do to get that fixed for the next version. Unfortunately though, even if I do get it fixed, you'll need to manually update to the next version (at least), since the updater will be using the current code to update.

Good work Jason.   Looking forward to whatever comes next.    It's a great front end on both PC and Android.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jason Carr said:

@spacemonkey @Eyebrows Cat Sorry, one more question: do you know when the updater stopped working for you? Did it work with previous versions?

I have the APK installed on my Fire Cube (Fire TV), and Retroid Pocket 2+.   Updater stopped working on both with 1.0.

I've just manually installed 1.1 beta 6 on the Fire Cube successfully.

• Like 1

LaunchBox for Android 1.1-beta-7 is out now with the following:

• More robust data saving and loading (including backup files)
  • Hopeful fix for the above updater issues for some devices on Android 9 and below

Keep in mind that even if the updater is fixed for those devices, we'll unfortunately only know when we update the *next* time, not this time. For this update, folks were having issues with the automatic updater will unfortunately have to still manually update.

2 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

LaunchBox for Android 1.1-beta-7 is out now with the following:

• More robust data saving and loading (including backup files)
  • Hopeful fix for the above updater issues for some devices on Android 9 and below

Keep in mind that even if the updater is fixed for those devices, we'll unfortunately only know when we update the *next* time, not this time. For this update, folks were having issues with the automatic updater will unfortunately have to still manually update.

LaunchBox for Android 1.1-beta-7 was successfully installed by the automatic installer. Thank you Jason!