LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox for Android New Version - Beta Testing

Jason Carr

2 hours ago, Soop said:

Essentially, according to Jason, Android have to approve apps to be able to access outside of their own directory.  File managers have that ability because Google allow it, Retroarch and Launchbox don't.  If you root your device and install magisk, you can choose to grant su permissions to apps yourself.

just read this on the retroarch forum - NVidia Shield and Network storage? - RetroArch / Android devices - Libretro Forums

"Yes, this is not a Shield issue but an Android 11 issue. It also apparently affects Plex, and Nvidia is supposedly working with them on a fix. Perhaps this hypothetical fix will benefit us, as well. Nevertheless, we are still working toward a solution for other non-Shield devices, since it appears the asinine “scoped storage” problem is not going away."

fingers crossed someone comes up with something :) for now i have ARCbrowser running and the network share was all setup pre upgrade. Its still works even though i cant change/rescan or setup new machines

A manual fix for retroarch was posted here https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/shield-tv/9/482420/android-110-shield-90-app-eg-retroarch-access-to-s/ is something similar possible ?

Edited by flipside101

3 hours ago, Mookdog said:

Actually the latest nightly build of retroarch fixed the issue. U are now able to see your network storage with no problems. Just wish I could get Launchbox to see them.

Mook

Really gonna check it out, thanks for the heads up!

Hi @Jason Carr, I spotted a small problem in Launchbox with the "export for Android" function. Well, I have an unusual installation: my system is a VM and my roms are stored locally but with network access mapped in Windows explorer.

(Unraid + VM on SSD + rom on the HDD array)

When I export for Android, I have all my media and folder structure. Perfect. But roms are NOT copied/exported. The folder is empty!

Annoying if I export only a games selection 😅

Edited by viking

Thanks guys for the heads-up on the RetroArch changes. I had been looking for a workaround for the Nvidia bugs, and the recent RetroArch commits clued me in.

Version 1.1-beta-1 is out now, and you can now access network drives on Nvidia Shield devices with the latest firmware upgrades (but I believe you do still need the latest Nvidia hotfixes).

For more details on the Nvidia firmware situation, please see this thread:

https://forums.launchbox-app.com/topic/65300-issues-with-the-latest-firmware-on-nvidia-shield-tv-devices-how-to-fix/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/20/2022 at 9:23 AM, viking said:

Hi @Jason Carr, I spotted a small problem in Launchbox with the "export for Android" function. Well, I have an unusual installation: my system is a VM and my roms are stored locally but with network access mapped in Windows explorer.

(Unraid + VM on SSD + rom on the HDD array)

When I export for Android, I have all my media and folder structure. Perfect. But roms are NOT copied/exported. The folder is empty!

Annoying if I export only a games selection 😅

Hmm, not sure why that would be. We'd have to dive in deeper to your actual setup. What do you mean by "ROMs stored locally but with network access mapped in Windows Explorer"?

6 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Thanks guys for the heads-up on the RetroArch changes. I had been looking for a workaround for the Nvidia bugs, and the recent RetroArch commits clued me in.

Version 1.1-beta-1 is out now, and you can now access network drives on Nvidia Shield devices with the latest firmware upgrades (but I believe you do still need the latest Nvidia hotfixes).

https://forums.launchbox-app.com/topic/65300-issues-with-the-latest-firmware-on-nvidia-shield-tv-devices-how-to-fix/

nice work!

Is there a way for me to get the beta build?

Edited by sage2050

4 hours ago, Soop said:

Just installed the new beta; arcade still has the issue that adding new titles also duplicates existing titles in the same folder

Yes, that has not yet been tackled yet. If I don't note any related fixes here or in the change log, then chances are that specific issue has not been fixed.

13 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Awesome, it works!! Finally thanks Jason :)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Hmm, not sure why that would be. We'd have to dive in deeper to your actual setup. What do you mean by "ROMs stored locally but with network access mapped in Windows Explorer"?

Never mind. It works now! No idea what happened! ^^

For the record, everything is stored in my home server (on Unraid OS)
There is a Windows VM on SSD which looks for roms on the server.
For Windows, it's a network drives. 
For hardware, it's local drives.
Unusual setup I told you :P

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Yup, you can just check the box to update to betas in the Options of the Android app. Then just restart the app and you should be prompted to update.

got it, seems to be working. found an issue not related to scoped storage - for PSX games Launchbox has "duckstation" for one of the core options. duckstation core development been abandoned and the core is swanstation again.

Edit: nevermind swanstation is there too and i'm bad at reading.

Edited by sage2050
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Eyebrows Cat said:

When I start the app and try to update it, I get an error in the attached image and cannot update.  When I try to download from the web page, ver1.0 is downloaded (not ver1.1 beta1) Is there any other way?

error.jpg

Usually this just means it was a corrupted download. Can you try again?

LaunchBox for Android 1.1-beta-2 is out now with the following:

• Deleting a platform will now optionally delete all media (including videos) instead of just images

• Improved the initial startup process so that the app does not have to be manually restarted after accepting the new storage permissions on Android 11 and 12

• Fixed an issue where disabling media background downloads would prevent some existing media from showing

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bundangdon said:

@Jason Carr I'm having a problem getting this latest beta to start. I've tried uninstalling and re-installing, but it always crashes at startup. On a strange note, the file in my downloads folder indicates that it's "beta-4". And when I revert back to version 1.0 there's no issues.

Yes, version 1.1-beta-4 came out, as I'm trying to streamline the update process. Both beta 3 and beta 4 are related to that. What device are you using? We haven't seen that in any of our testing at this point.