LaunchBox Community Forums

Colorful - Light Theme - COMMUNITY Theme Creator version - Need Testers

faeran

@faeran

I have been watching your theme workshop and I can't wait to see new beta for colorful theme as I'm one of fan for colorful theme for aesthetics, spacing and transition.

However, one thing I'd love to see an improvement on colorful is the "speed".

When there are thousands of collection, we need at least 1 detailed view for faster preview for video, box art and screenshots.

Please see video:

You can see how video preview loads in less than about 1 second. This was possible on Quad Core 1.5GHZ CPU (RK3326) running on SD card.

I'm running Bigbox on i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz with samsung 850 EVO SSD (only Launchbox and Retroarch) with 32GB RAM and RTX 3080 Ti.

But I haven't found one theme (out of 44 themes I've downloaded from Bigbox and forum) that could load video preview faster than this weak CPU device. 

Would this be possible and could you consider implement into colorful theme?

Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge.

Edited by xmas

• 1 month later...

My findings on testing tonight are semi unexpected. I switched between the new Theme Builder and the Official quite a few different times. I'm confused. Performance on the TB version is better... in parts. The transitions between cover art and videos / screenshots are way different. TB seems to have the 3d flip transition coming into play where the Official did fades. Some images seem to pop in and then disappear. Some videos get weird artifacting as well which I did not see on the Official. My wheel performance was odd also. Once letting all the wheels load their images, I was still getting slow pop in for Logos compared to the Official. Scrolling is faster though by far! I hope this is fruitful, but for now I am going to resort back to the Official. I will keep an eye out. Regardless, a huge step in the right direction. Thank you for the efforts!

Edited by neosean99
  • Unusual Gem 1

• 1 month later...

Don't know if it's too late to report, but this version of the theme has noticably better performance in transitions than the official one when used on my laptop. With the official one there was a persistent stutter when doing the transitions from the selection view to the platform presentation view (my laptop has a 3000x2000 resolution, which might be one thing that affected it, but lowering the resolution to full HD didn't help much). This version has far smoother transitions, which is a big plus in my book.

Also, I'm glad that it isn't constrained at 16:9, as I'm using bigbox across multiple devices, my laptop being a 3:2 aspect ratio. Only thing is that the (plaform presentation) videos are streched in this view, it would be nice to have an option to simply enlarge the videos in correct aspect ratio.

Anyway, great work on improving on this already excellent theme.

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, MikeHK84 said:

Not sure where I did something wrong but I pasted the folder in My Theme Project Folder. When I open Community Theme Creator, the folder appears but I cannot access any views. Any idea which step I missed?

That's because this is the published theme and the not theme project files. In order to edit a theme made from the the CTC the author has to release the CTC project files for it. I do not believe Faeran has done so since the theme is not complete. 

7 hours ago, MikeHK84 said:

Not sure where I did something wrong but I pasted the folder in My Theme Project Folder. When I open Community Theme Creator, the folder appears but I cannot access any views. Any idea which step I missed?

2 hours ago, Retro808 said:

That's because this is the published theme and the not theme project files. In order to edit a theme made from the the CTC the author has to release the CTC project files for it. I do not believe Faeran has done so since the theme is not complete. 

This is correct. The CTC files have not been released.

This theme is still a work in progress. Had to put it on hold until CTC 2.3 was release, but now that it's here, should be able to provide an updated version of the theme with some major changes to some of the views.

• Like 5

Well, that does make a lot of sense indeed 😅

Thanks for the update, I'll wait for the release of the files. I was trying to create my custom theme and watched a lot of your tutorial videos on youtube, but as using the colorful theme would be a better starting point for me.

• 4 weeks later...

Been a while, but I've updated this beta theme with a ton of changes. Here are the major ones:

• Text Games View has been overhauled with viking's new design
  • Platform Wheel 1 and 2 have been overhauled with viking's new designs
  • Updated colors throughout the theme to include new systems and playlists
  • Tons of small bug fixes

The overhauls are big changes, and now include device images that need to work in tandem with the Colorful video set.

I've also replaced the version in the OP.

Colorful - Light Theme New - v1.1.zip

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, ABeezy13 said:

Awesome job Faeran! I would love to see someday you (Or someone If you release the files) add many of the views found on this page. The simple box art with the cart/discs look so good.

Some will be coming. Some are great as a design but not great in practice. I think since those were created, viking has realized he enjoys more snappier and quicker loading type of views. I think those kind will be next.

• Like 3
  • The Cake is a Lie 1

24 minutes ago, faeran said:

Some will be coming. Some are great as a design but not great in practice. I think since those were created, viking has realized he enjoys more snappier and quicker loading type of views. I think those kind will be next.

Awesome! You do incredible work. Looking forward to what you cook up next with this theme!

some day after my art work quest is complete I’ll mess around with making themes :)

• Thanks 1