LaunchBox Community Forums

Colorful - Light Theme - COMMUNITY Theme Creator version - Need Testers

faeran

I'm in need of anyone willing to test this new version of the Colorful theme and report back any findings.

This version of Colorful - Light is a complete port into the COMMUNITY Theme Creator. It's about 95% complete. Once complete and tested, it will replace the versions on the forum and within Big Box.

One of the most notable things missing is the styling on the alpha-numeric index.

The theme has a different name and won't conflict with the current version of Colorful.

Colorful - Light Theme New - v1.1.zip

--

v1.1 has been released and now contains a ton of changes:

• Text Games View has been overhauled with viking's new design
  • Platform Wheel 1 and 2 have been overhauled with viking's new designs
  • Updated colors throughout the theme to include new systems and playlists
  • Tons of small bug fixes

The overhauls are big changes, and now include device images that need to work in tandem with the Colorful video set.

• Like 1
  • Unusual Gem 1

Hey @faeran , could you tell us what you expect to find with these tests? I've been using Colorful Light theme for a few days and haven't found anything relevant.
Apparently it does the same as the official theme. The single most notable difference I've seen is the stretch 4x3 videos and
the transition effect when switching videos.

Light Theme:

image.thumb.png.039eb202bfb080711c1034766db434e9.png

Official Dark Theme:

image.thumb.png.5a483d2248ee6e3baf1b3bc88a17ece5.png

Edited by soqueroeu

On 8/10/2021 at 10:36 PM, faeran said:

I'm in need of anyone willing to test this new version of the Colorful theme and report back any findings.

This version of Colorful - Light is a complete port into the COMMUNITY Theme Creator. It's about 95% complete. Once complete and tested, it will replace the versions on the forum and within Big Box.

One of the most notable things missing is the styling on the alpha-numeric index.

The theme has a different name and won't conflict with the current version of Colorful.

Colorful - Light Theme.zip 14.6 MB · 18 downloads

Just tested it here, and it seems like it's running smoothly with no issues. Anything specific I should be looking for while using this particular version of the "Colorful" theme?

Since this version is a complete rewrite, with a different codebase, I'm just looking for confirmation that nothing looks out of place.

Thanks for your reports.

@soqueroeu I'll have the video stretching fixed.

This version will eventually be replacing the current Colorful theme, as that one uses unoptimized code with a legacy plugin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, viking said:

Yes, in the theme folder/view/style ?

That directory doesn't exist with this version of the theme, so I created it and added the xml file from your version of the theme and it still doesn't work. I tried naming the directory "style" and "styles" but neither worked.

Edited by OhBoy

1 hour ago, faeran said:

Changing colors will be fairly easy once it's out, as you will be able to do it in the COMMUNITY Theme Creator.

In the meantime, if there's a color missing and if you know what it is, post it here and I'll add it.

I have an unorthodox LB setup, my platform categories are by manufacturers, so Nintendo, Sega, Sony, etc. instead of the usually Console, Handheld, etc. I created background videos in the style of the Colorful set for each manufacturer, but with black backgrounds instead of colors. So currently they come up black with a green bar on the left side, from the default green color. I’ll probably just have to wait for the Community Theme Creator files. It’s a shame it can’t use the styles xml, that was such a great solution. 

Quick bug I've found that's probably pretty niche.

I have an aspect ratio of 32:9 and a resolution of 5120x1440. Many aspects of the theme don't work correctly at this aspect ratio. Setting the 'Force16X9AspectRatio' to true in the ThemeSettings.XML works fine. Not sure if this should be a default setting,

Edited by lockian

13 hours ago, lockian said:

Quick bug I've found that's probably pretty niche.

I have an aspect ratio of 32:9 and a resolution of 5120x1440. Many aspects of the theme don't work correctly at this aspect ratio. Setting the 'Force16X9AspectRatio' to true in the ThemeSettings.XML works fine. Not sure if this should be a default setting,

Thanks for the heads up. A simple change in the COMMUNITY Theme Creator, should be forced to 16:9 for the next release.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sevenalive said:

I was hoping you would assist viking or take over maintain it.

Waiting for dark theme test version!

Do you plan on implementing the mockups Viking has been working on for the past year after this release? I been anxiously awaiting the new view options.

Exited about this, hands down best looking theme for Big Box. Banner Box is good too ;) can't wait to see where you take Colorful next! 

This is all planned. While we may take time to get there, we will eventually make it.

Hi. Great work on the theme Faeran (and viking of course)

Launchbox version: 11.17
Setup: Access Launchbox directory over NAS (QNAP)
View: Below notes are in PlatformWheel2FiltersView 

Few (very minor) things from me. 

• Sega Genesis background colour is not the same red as the colorful video colour
  • No Scummvm colour assigned (uses default green) but I assume this is because there is no colorful video for SCUMMVM - A shame. Feel like having a crack at it @faeran? 😄 I know there's been a few requests!
  • PSP icon default doesn't work with light/white background
  • Platform view - videos take slightly longer to load/slide in than the original theme. 

@faeran,
I'm using Pulse theme alongside Colorful. I like the way the transition was implemented in Pulse. The biggest elements always load last. This allows faster browsing, no empty screen and give time for videos to load correctly. I think it would be nice to study this method and implement it in Colorful.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! I don't know if they've already reported it, but I ran into problems with the different views when displaying the larger image.

1134757691_Captura2.thumb.png.5ef580df589fdefdf6662ccb65926c71.png

With the "Detail Text List" view, there is no problem.

342654672_Captura3.thumb.png.b9a827053fad2897fb63b09f36ad22fa.png

With the "Platform Wheel" views, the problem appears that the larger image does not display correctly.

1313216151_Capturadepantalla2021-09-24025423.thumb.png.1450d8af303b0cf778569b56496531a6.png

143520254_Captura4.thumb.png.f663ce0eabab05c3c8ebed7ffcfc141f.png

But if video is available, there is no problem with all view types.

Another error that I found is that except for "Platform", "Platform category" and "Playlists", the rest of the options are completely blank, making it impossible to see.

I am using Launchbox 11.17, but I tried it on another PC with 11.10 and it also gave the same error. And thanks for making this great theme!

Edited by Patchiu

On 9/24/2021 at 2:34 AM, Patchiu said:

Hi! I don't know if they've already reported it, but I ran into problems with the different views when displaying the larger image.

1134757691_Captura2.thumb.png.5ef580df589fdefdf6662ccb65926c71.png

With the "Detail Text List" view, there is no problem.

342654672_Captura3.thumb.png.b9a827053fad2897fb63b09f36ad22fa.png

With the "Platform Wheel" views, the problem appears that the larger image does not display correctly.

1313216151_Capturadepantalla2021-09-24025423.thumb.png.1450d8af303b0cf778569b56496531a6.png

143520254_Captura4.thumb.png.f663ce0eabab05c3c8ebed7ffcfc141f.png

But if video is available, there is no problem with all view types.

Another error that I found is that except for "Platform", "Platform category" and "Playlists", the rest of the options are completely blank, making it impossible to see.

I am using Launchbox 11.17, but I tried it on another PC with 11.10 and it also gave the same error. And thanks for making this great theme!

Thanks for the report!

I'm a bit curious about the video image fallback you are seeing, as that's not controlled by the theme at all.

The platform textlist oddities will be fixed before the theme gets officially released.

• Like 1