LaunchBox Community Forums

COLORFUL bigbox theme

viking

On the platform view, what if the logos were kept, and the darkened hardware images removed...but the square backgrounds colors behind them were kept as well without the darkening? That way, the design would remain unified around the square color boxes. Which might make the various logo designs still feel unified as well. But without the added clutter of the hardware behind the logos. Maybe with a touch more padding on the right/left margins so the clear logos have a little room to breathe. Just throwing out ideas!

That game details pages look fantastic! With the one you mentioned not liking, for me the only issue is the background image cluttering up the left side of the screen. is it possible to change the blurred background image into a solid color instead, like the other details page has? Maybe have a soft white outline around the screenshots if there's too much blending between the color and the screens. Really digging that layout!

Edited by shadowblind
  • Thanks 1

I still have a little time! Here are some updated mokup:

PlatformWheel3FiltersView
As requested, a test with a colored background. I'm still not convinced. Or with a custom ClearLogo set (like full white). But I want my designs to work as well as possible with basic media.
LIGHT_PlatformWheel3FiltersView.thumb.jpg.dd0f33ffac8f51d589808f7844395ef0.jpg

PlatformWheel4FiltersView
Still without video, the main image becomes the wheel. I like it but very (too?) simple.
LIGHT_PlatformWheel4FiltersView.thumb.jpg.b1c8e17b0f7d1fab3031aa703313884b.jpg

HorizontalWheel1GamesView
This one, I like it a lot. I'll try to develop it like this! Validated for me =)
LIGHT_HorizontalWheel1GamesView.thumb.jpg.e71c6cde38b28ce006b0e6d514400f27.jpg

HorizontalWheel2GamesView
On the same idea, a variant with the CD / cartridge. I like the idea, but it remains to be tested depending on the media and the ratio of the boxes. Not sure at all that it works as I hope!
LIGHT_HorizontalWheel2GamesView.thumb.jpg.98e80cb54c871560aad39daffd86961d.jpg

HorizontalWheel3GamesView
Minor buttons adjustment. I don't think I'm far from validation. What do you think ?
LIGHT_HorizontalWheel3GamesView.thumb.jpg.aa6413a4fe916d7338a6a2b54d5854a3.jpg

TextGamesView v1
Minor adjustment of buttons. I am no longer sure. The following 2 work better, don't they?
As a reminder, I can only have ONE by theme !!
TextGamesView.thumb.jpg.73885c6d01ebba6466bbca7a2786beb3.jpg

TextGamesView v2
Total overhaul since yesterday's v2. I like. What do you think ? 
The BoxArt always keeps this height and extends to the left according to its ratio.
I think she might be perfect for a big TV!
TextGamesView_v2.thumb.jpg.dd89cbd6b4c394e686a29724b68eb300.jpg

TextGamesView v3
Some button adjustments. But I'm starting to prefer v2 now! xD
TextGamesView_v3.thumb.jpg.be73ca16a89041d325ba31eb4d26314f.jpg

And a quick test around the grid.
Based on POC theme density:
Wall4GamesView.thumb.jpg.d581d198c47687747b20a37108489817.jpg

And with more room and title :
Wall3GamesView.thumb.jpg.29bcf03a5c9abec80a5d073033b01775.jpg

It's your turn !

• Like 3
  • Unusual Gem 1

Hi Bro!

I liked everything, except for TextGamesView v2. It only makes sense when the box game fills its entire space, which would be impossible with the various existing media measures. Have you ever thought about creating something with a smaller video window in the upper central part of the screen?

HorizontalWheel2GamesView can be a success if theme can use its own templates and, if any game did not have an art, use a generic one.

Another detail can be considered for the whole theme is to try not to hide the entire scroll menu:
Screenshot_1.png

Another thing I always thought it should be: why can't any existing themes always start with a welcome screen, followed by a category? It would be possible ?
Man, I always found it strange, starts directly on some platform ...?

Edited by soqueroeu
  • Thanks 1

Still not sure about platform3. Too much going on. Might try removing the background colors from the scroll wheel, and just keeping the grey + clear logo? That would reduce clashing.

I like where you were heading with this:

LIGHT_PlatformWheel4FiltersView.thumb.jpg.cdf55e11ae004ee9a4ddb26d653648de.jpg.5a8664e50d6b883ea8e739a23dfc8df2.jpg

If you change the green button to red like in the recent platform4, then maybe remove the duplicate image of the selected console on the right, then replace it with arrows maybe that could work?

You could also play with the size of the images in the scroll wheel, make them larger and show less of them in both directions.

Just thinking out loud.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, zetec-s-joe said:

If box to cart/dissc ratio size can be per system, then  this would be so good

LIGHT_HorizontalWheel2GamesView.thumb.jpg.98e80cb54c871560aad39daffd86961d.jpg

No chance. Sorry! I'm already having trouble finding the time to do whatever I want for Colorful. So develop 1 view for 1 platform ...
But you are right. This is the only way to control the effect. I would do some code testing, but if it doesn't work, I forget it.

1 hour ago, soqueroeu said:

Hi Bro!

I liked everything, except for TextGamesView v2. It only makes sense when the box game fills its entire space, which would be impossible with the various existing media measures. Have you ever thought about creating something with a smaller video window in the upper central part of the screen?

HorizontalWheel2GamesView can be a success if theme can use its own templates and, if any game did not have an art, use a generic one.

Another detail can be considered for the whole theme is to try not to hide the entire scroll menu:
Screenshot_1.png

Another thing I always thought it should be: why can't any existing themes always start with a welcome screen, followed by a category? It would be possible ?
Man, I always found it strange, starts directly on some platform ...?

This is the whole principle of this TextGameView v2. Cut it into 4 areas, with a diagonal loaded and a diagonal light.
Displayed small on a PC screen, it does not work well. But in full screen on a 50 "TV, I think so. I hope so!
About the button, that's what I'm looking for: hide the list and tinker with it to make it feel like a button. It is not perfect. I don't even know if I'll be able to code this. But it is a possible solution.
There is too much different data to display for me to get everything integrated in an elegant and airy way. I don't want anything too heavy.
The list is unnecessary. I'm trying to replace it. Ideally, by buttons. But I don't know if it's possible or how to do it. Ideas ?

HorizontalWheel2GamesView. 
Yes, ideally. But it's too long to create. The goal is to use the basic media that already exists. I try to do the minimum of custom asset. (except the video set, indeed!)

40 minutes ago, clockw3rk said:

Still not sure about platform3. Too much going on. Might try removing the background colors from the scroll wheel, and just keeping the grey + clear logo? That would reduce clashing.

I like where you were heading with this:

LIGHT_PlatformWheel4FiltersView.thumb.jpg.cdf55e11ae004ee9a4ddb26d653648de.jpg.5a8664e50d6b883ea8e739a23dfc8df2.jpg

If you change the green button to red like in the recent platform4, then maybe remove the duplicate image of the selected console on the right, then replace it with arrows maybe that could work?

You could also play with the size of the images in the scroll wheel, make them larger and show less of them in both directions.

Just thinking out loud.

Um, I don't know. It seems to me too loaded with graphically different elements. The ideal would be to use a ClearLogoSet all white or black. To have a graphic unit. But I'll never have the time to create it. I'll see if anyone has already done this on the forum. If so, it may be possible to integrate it into the theme. (according to its weight)

Good idea about the arrow. I'll give a try !

About the wheel item size, the problem is the square ratio of the images. So to increase their size = increase the width of the wheel. So shift the rest of the view to the left. So less readable by compression.

37 minutes ago, bbweiners said:

What if everything on the bottom of TextGamesView v2 gets centered.

um, no. It's not going to work here.

@Jason Carr Thx =)   I will do my best !
Do you have an idea or a way to replace the option list of the TextGamesView, by graphic buttons? With 2 states: selected or not? Like new wheel model ! 
(Yes, I believe in Santa Claus ^^ If I interpreted correctly the way you built the navigation in BigBox, it will be complicated !!)

EDIT :   Oh, and about the last 2 GRID views, we're going to have to choose between the 2 versions! Tight or ventilated grid? Vote!

Edited by viking
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, viking said:

@Jason Carr Thx ?  I will do my best !
Do you have an idea or a way to replace the option list of the TextGamesView, by graphic buttons? With 2 states: selected or not? Like new wheel model ! 
(Yes, I believe in Santa Claus ^^ If I interpreted correctly the way you built the navigation in BigBox, it will be complicated !!)

Yes, I don't know of a way to replace the options list with graphic buttons for the TextGamesView, at least not without us programming a new version of the view, unfortunately. I will put that on my list though. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OK OK OK. 
I think I will reach the goal. ^^    (Attention, big post)
But since it's a mess, I have prepared a summary image for you. A storyboard of colorful navigation. By the way, I updated the "old views". (font, style, fit ...)
The grids are side by side, because of similar design. Just the background color. Light/Dark or Colorful version. All will be develop.
storyboard.thumb.jpg.aaba9b066819206933d2d9d24e9a1f59.jpg

For me there is enough view for this v2. That covers quite a bit of possibility.
There remains the GameDetailView to validate because there can only be ONE by theme!

And so here is the complete selection of "final" design.
(except TextGamesView, I agree)

PlatformWheel4FiltersView
Minor adjustment. Version with no video. The wheel will be the same as the existing one for the Platform View. (a white overlay with Clear Logo)
LIGHT_PlatformWheel4FiltersView.thumb.jpg.298904a4b50da645a4379f81be42383d.jpg

HorizontalWheel1GamesView
Modification of the alphabetical fast access band. More elegant on the big screen and always visible.    I hope I can do that !!
I hope the wheel item quality will be good in this giant wheel in 4K.  =/
LIGHT_HorizontalWheel1GamesView.thumb.jpg.a8e501a0b6af6b1e11625c5cade6c1bd.jpg

HorizontalWheel2GamesView
Same as the previous one. But with a Cart/CD animation. I will try, but without guarantee.
LIGHT_HorizontalWheel2GamesView.thumb.jpg.b5f282aeee36813451dfe7e66483ef60.jpg

HorizontalWheel3GamesView
I like this one too. Not too much technical difficulty, except the wheel. I haven't tried to setup the new version yet =)
LIGHT_HorizontalWheel3GamesView.thumb.jpg.ac87da6e7b70419510f705a53e8239aa.jpg

WallGamesView & Wall2GamesView
I only put one picture for you. But there will be a light/dark background version. And a Colorful background version.
Wall2GamesView.thumb.jpg.0ceedde25db7b7b4f0be60d46dd610a8.jpg

Wall3GamesView & Wall4GamesView
I only put one picture for you. But there will be a light/dark background version. And a Colorful background version.
Wall4GamesView.thumb.jpg.ad7d4170f6c820b44ebad18501f684be.jpg

And now the 3 version of the TextGamesView. We will have to choose only 1 concept !!! To your VOTE!
Me, I spent too much time on it: I can't see anything anymore ...
A little mockup to make it easier to read in context :
Apple-TV-Shot-1.thumb.jpg.6f41dfc96102a449a4c1e7abfd027e40.jpg

And in detail

TextGamesView  v1
Minor adjustment to the option list.
TextGamesView.thumb.jpg.201e0d60ba094348e9149745c0484e27.jpg

TextGamesView  v2
Minor adjustment to the option list.
Redesign, taking into account your feedback. The video is centered whatever its ratio.
I preferred the one from yesterday personally ...
TextGamesView_v2.thumb.jpg.bd01eb26f7028f58eb325ff26c410791.jpg

TextGamesView  v3
No change.
TextGamesView_v3.thumb.jpg.1ce4a893e76949393a0ecb79f6f89656.jpg

I'll give you time to digest it all and give me your feedback!  =)

• Like 2

My vote to avoid all problems is TextGamesView V1

Hey @viking, WheelGamesView and Wheel2GamesView are very similar. What do you think of unifying the few differences and maintaining only one of them?

I think we will have problems with very big names in the "About" area (circled in red). This empty space that seems inevitable (circled in yellow) was also not very aesthetic:

Screenshot_2.png

Edited by soqueroeu
  • Like 1

Salut viking ca va? 

Love all the work you've been doing. Just wanted to chime in with my opinion on the TextGamesView

My vote definitely goes to TextGamesView1 or TextGamesView3. 

I think the decision is difficult because both are really nice obviously but I think for TGV1 (oh le train) it's probably better when one is sitting close to a smaller screen like on your PC monitor, but with TGV3 it looks much better on a TV and those Context Mockups you made on the TV really helps to visualize that. Since I'm gonna be using it mainly on my TV (I don't know if there are numbers on what percentage of BigBox users are TV vs Monitor) but that could help in the decision also. But yeah I'm probably leaning more towards TextGamesView3 because of that reason.

I think the only thing that could be cool to try out with TGV3 would be to find a solution to not having the blurry video to fill that space under the video if it's in 4:3. I know it's difficult because to fill that space with 4:3 is hard. So I tried different solutions, but I think what could potentially be a good candidate would be to actually take a cue from TGV1 and give it some more breathing room and reduce the size of the 16:9 space so that the video actually aligns with the text above on the vertically. Like this the "blurry" 4:3 behind the video would actually not feel so cramped. It could also work great for regular 16:9 videos as I did a quick mockup below. Maybe if all videos were 16:9 then keep it stretched out as it is is good, but yeah this might be a good solution for both, what do you think? My vote in any case goes to TGV3, but if either TGV3 or TGV1 make it, would be amazing!

a.thumb.png.e130d6bd4683443e4b8ba33b9d140929.png

b.thumb.png.16b3c8de2b1fe999657a692ff3feea4f.png

Finally about PlatformWheels3 , it seems like it has been voted out/discarded. I may be too late, but just wanted to say I absolutely love it! I know what you mean with it seeming a bit off, and I agree, so I tried to play around with something. I think a huge difference helped when I removed the shadow, as most of all your other stuff don't have shadows. And I reduce the opacity of non-selected platform clear logos as well as their saturation and it could be an idea? If at some point in the future you decide to bring it back. 

c.thumb.png.2147c43c468d3ae9bdbc1af182c7be9b.png

Cannot wait to check out the new features and views once they're out. Thanks again for your amazing work!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, nicolasonline said:

Salut viking ca va? 

Love all the work you've been doing. Just wanted to chime in with my opinion on the TextGamesView

My vote definitely goes to TextGamesView1 or TextGamesView3. 

I think the decision is difficult because both are really nice obviously but I think for TGV1 (oh le train) it's probably better when one is sitting close to a smaller screen like on your PC monitor, but with TGV3 it looks much better on a TV and those Context Mockups you made on the TV really helps to visualize that. Since I'm gonna be using it mainly on my TV (I don't know if there are numbers on what percentage of BigBox users are TV vs Monitor) but that could help in the decision also. But yeah I'm probably leaning more towards TextGamesView3 because of that reason.

I think the only thing that could be cool to try out with TGV3 would be to find a solution to not having the blurry video to fill that space under the video if it's in 4:3. I know it's difficult because to fill that space with 4:3 is hard. So I tried different solutions, but I think what could potentially be a good candidate would be to actually take a cue from TGV1 and give it some more breathing room and reduce the size of the 16:9 space so that the video actually aligns with the text above on the vertically. Like this the "blurry" 4:3 behind the video would actually not feel so cramped. It could also work great for regular 16:9 videos as I did a quick mockup below. Maybe if all videos were 16:9 then keep it stretched out as it is is good, but yeah this might be a good solution for both, what do you think? My vote in any case goes to TGV3, but if either TGV3 or TGV1 make it, would be amazing!

a.thumb.png.e130d6bd4683443e4b8ba33b9d140929.png

b.thumb.png.16b3c8de2b1fe999657a692ff3feea4f.png

Finally about PlatformWheels3 , it seems like it has been voted out/discarded. I may be too late, but just wanted to say I absolutely love it! I know what you mean with it seeming a bit off, and I agree, so I tried to play around with something. I think a huge difference helped when I removed the shadow, as most of all your other stuff don't have shadows. And I reduce the opacity of non-selected platform clear logos as well as their saturation and it could be an idea? If at some point in the future you decide to bring it back. 

c.thumb.png.2147c43c468d3ae9bdbc1af182c7be9b.png

Cannot wait to check out the new features and views once they're out. Thanks again for your amazing work!

There you go! Dump that color behind the logos in platform 3!

Edited by clockw3rk
  • Like 2