LaunchBox Community Forums

EmuMovies Sync Speed Improvements

circo

Ya know, I am aware that much of this issue is on the Emu side, but LB IS having strange issues related to this as well on my end. 

I have been replacing roms (currently working on Nintendo Wii). I will delete 10-15 .wbfs roms, run the Tools>Scan>For Removed Roms Nintendo Wii and let LB do its thing.

Then I will copy their replacements in .rvz format to same folder and run the Tools>Scan>For Added Roms Nintendo Wii and let LB do its thing.

I am checking all boxes for artwork/videos for both LB and Emu. With all the errors I am getting on the Emu side, I will do a 100 or so games. Then I select them all and run Tools>Download>Update metadata and media for Selected games on them. LB appeared to do it's thing (so I thought), So after it appears to finish, I go on with replacing roms. I might find one I might do a single edit on and BOOM, all of a sudden, LB takes off scanning again, like minutes later. This would NOT be an Emu issue.

Just reporting what is happening for me. (v12.10.4)

Edited by The Papaw

20 hours ago, JamesBond@ge said:

Same issue here.

It's particularly noticeable when I just want to download media for one title.

The LaunchBox content displays almost right away but "Querying EmuMovies..." can take more than 10 minutes.

Exit same issue. I fix the names of individual games that Launchbox did not recognize(because of the improper name) I than proceed to DL media. The LB media is almost immediately found while query emumovies can take an absurd amount of time.

8 hours ago, Sandroace said:

Exit same issue. I fix the names of individual games that Launchbox did not recognize(because of the improper name) I than proceed to DL media. The LB media is almost immediately found while query emumovies can take an absurd amount of time.

Yes exact same issue here as well. It was working fine 2 updates ago more or less. 

I'm also seeing similar issues. LaunchBox is no longer able to complete Emumovies queries and it hasn't been able to for weeks. I thought it started after one of the recent LaunchBox updates, but I just tested with 11.9 and see the same behavior. Also tried changing my Emumovies password as someone suggested. It didn't help. 

I'm having the same issues. If I batch update, it seems to not have an issue but once I have to download for one title at a time, it gets stuck forever :(

Edit: I don't know if it's obvious but if you cancel query then hit download, it works fine.

Edited by Audioout

On 4/17/2022 at 3:16 AM, Audioout said:

Edit: I don't know if it's obvious but if you cancel query then hit download, it works fine.

Hitting "cancel" just halts the EmuMovies,com query, so the only data you're downloading is from the LaunchBox database; as a result, a lot of the media related to BigBox--such as Theme and Gameplay videos--isn't being acquired.

FWIW, I've been having this issue since at least last week, and it's terribly annoying.  Hope we can expect a fix in the near future.

Circo talked about a collaborative improvement being worked on by the EmuMovies API developer and the developer of LaunchBox that should roll out as a LaunchBox update in the near future.
Any time table for said update?
This has been an ongoing issue for a very long time now.

4 hours ago, Dybdal said:

Circo talked about a collaborative improvement being worked on by the EmuMovies API developer and the developer of LaunchBox that should roll out as a LaunchBox update in the near future.
Any time table for said update?
This has been an ongoing issue for a very long time now.

As far as i know they havent reached out with any new details as of yet.

This was posted 04-16 by Circo:

"We are implementing new API calls and search functionality for LaunchBox.  Currently API calls are built and sample code for the LaunchBox team is being prepared.  In a nutshell this is going to move server side search processes to the client side allowing for much faster searches especially in complete library scrapes.  Our developer is currently working with Jason over at LaunchBox and we should get this update out soon.  

Apologies for the current overloaded server situation.  Once we get these changes implemented thing should get back to better than normal."

I sure hope something comes along soon, as that was 4 days ago concerning a issue that has been going on for weeks now. I know everyone wants things working well and devs are trying to come up with something :/

6 hours ago, zugswang said:

Emumovies has been poor for years, so don't expect any amazing improvements anytime soon.

If it was not for the fact that they have struck some sort of deal with Launchbox NOT to use any videos on their downloads (as if Emumovies should have the rights to them in the first place, seeing as the vast majority have been recorded by their members) nobody would even use it.

They need to either invest in their servers to accommodate for everyone, or move aside and let Launchbox servers deal with the videos as well.

I don't think its a problem of server load.
I've had no issues with EmuMovies for years, their FTP backbone still works fine, their website has been running smoothly.
This started when they implemented new API functionality specificly to make our (LaunchBox) experiences of using their service better.
That backfired massivly and so far the only communication we've had from the EmuMovies side is from someone who means well (Circo) but isnt the one looking at the issue at hand, as Circo isn't the one developing the API as far as im aware.

I understand your frustration and i share it, but i still believe that everything that has happend has been with the best of intentions.

7 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

It was, hence why things are being changed, the last line of his statement says so.

image.thumb.png.cf3098abc087e6d3b91bb700a9ad5459.png

Technicly true but you misunderstand what Circo is trying to communicate.
When the servers was asked to facilitate file transfers and nothing else, it was on the slow side but worked well.

When the API was changed, the task of "Search for file X" was moved from the client side to the server side (or changed in such a way that it completly overloaded the server side CPU(s)
That is not an issue of "Not enough calculating power in their server stack"
It's an issue of poorly thought out code in an API.

Edited by Dybdal
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, neil9000 said:

Fue, por lo tanto, por qué se están cambiando las cosas, lo dice la última línea de su declaración.

imagen.thumb.png.cf3098abc087e6d3b91bb700a9ad5459.png

The Emumovies server overload problem was caused by changes in the API implementation, but I daresay this is no longer happening right now.

If so, the FTP and Emumovies Sync services would continue to have problems today and yet they work perfectly.

The only thing that hasn't worked for weeks is the Launchbox synchronization service with Emumovies and this, according to Circo, no longer depends on it but on the implementation of the new API by Launchbox.

What I really would like is for someone responsible for Launchbox to say how the situation is at the moment, if they think they are going to be able to solve the problem in the short term or if they are finally going to leave us without the Emumovies service within Launchbox.

The truth is that the latter would not surprise me seeing other decisions that have been made during these years with the development of Launchbox. Of course it would be appreciated if someone told us how all this is going to end to give us an idea.

All the best.