LaunchBox Community Forums

Where to get the latest Mame sets (Guide)

Lordmonkus

3 minutes ago, Zayd47 said:

Mind if i ask what is BIOS Devices & Machine Bios Devices?

Those are just the bios file sets. You do not need to download those if you download one of the "Mame Full Sets" below those bios listings. The Mame Full Sets contain all the bios files needed. 

• Unusual Gem 1

just an fyi, I used a mame 250 link on the old archive and used Link Grabber, http downloader and Deluge to download everything FINALLY! Funny that out of the 2000+ games, I only kept about 190. Games I consider to be classics. I don't need to have every game ever, just stuff I actually play. NFL Blitz was my top priority and all 3 work perfectly

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks, but this is really big, what i i say only want the 100 best games, is there a way of removing games without going trough every game and deleting or is there a compilation of the best mame games?

Edited by jca1981

11 hours ago, jca1981 said:

Thanks, but this is really big, what i i say only want the 100 best games, is there a way of removing games without going trough every game and deleting or is there a compilation of the best mame games?

I would just suggest starting with a Non Merged set because it will let you pull out individual rom zip files without fear of it not working, each file is a fully self contained working game rom.

You can either go one by one and pick out the games you want or you can use my batch file to copy out a set of approximately 440 games.

Becasue this is my first emulator!, im strugling  (very much) to come to terms with all the terminology, this and that, and what is what etc!.

So trying to find things and advise, but becasue (guessing) these things are like hot cakes. things move on/change so quick that its out of date the week after!, therfore forum scrolling is a bit more confusing that it seems!.

So, point being...

image.png.ea57cb217609e5d3c4a85545027637dd.png

This is the latest on the "pleasuredome" - from 2016. - set 0.174. - confuses me, as the YT vids I watch are mostly using .240 or so. ???

The set I have, is the only one I manged to find that actually downloaded  (after 9 hours of searching) - wow!.. was actually a 2003 set.

So, needless to say... out of the 2600x games installed, so far, every 50 games I try and run, they fail,, then 1 random game will work.

So I dont know!. - its al; confusing!. - and now  (again 3 hours later) still sitting here as confused as a newborn!

Credit to launchbox for trying to make things easy!. sadly, its not :)

if I can get it to work as I like, then Id be down for a lifetime support..and Bigbox! as I have all the time!.

Edited by xy44

Mame rom sets update every month along with the emulator itself and the current set is 0.257

Screenshot2023-07-29221136.png.5b8213a16d683a27451348790f5030af.png

You want to match the rom set and emulator versions to ensure games will work. Having mismatched versions can and will break certain games and the further apart you get in the version difference the more games that will not work.

Using the full set import tool in LB you will want to download either the merged or split set from the pleasuredome.

Thanks!. - but, however when I click the 257 merged. - I get this.

image.thumb.png.df78949723e1518aa2fb7d5a7faa4aa7.png

Any clues?

wow Im learning so much about stuff. - needed a torrent, so got one, and now its downloading. albeit.. and funnily.. will be downloaded in 4 days! :)

very big file, and very slow! though I shall not complain!

Edited by xy44

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
22 minutes ago, Reaper978 said:

I just imported the MAME ROM set version 0.260 Into LaunchBox but most of the games don’t have their cover art. What do you make of this? 🧐

Don't know. Not really a lot to go off of. What cover art are you specifically missing (Box, 3D Box)? What method did you use to import the roms? Where you pulling images from LB Games DB only or from EmuMovies as well?

Some pics of what you are seeing would be helpful. 

Also is this a fresh build or did you have a prior rom set already in there?

arcade1.thumb.jpg.22202f565d2b5d27d07d81f5cf09356b.jpg

arcade2.thumb.jpg.46a160d3288d39def8eb7af6e95e28c4.jpg

To import the roms I used Tools -> Import -> MAME Arcade Full Set...

As for where I was pulling images, I don't know.  Doesn't it just download them all automatically?  It was a fresh build, I didn't have a MAME rom set previously installed.  I got the rom set from Pleasuredome (as per the instructions at the beginning of the thread).  Everything seems to be working perfectly aside from this problem.  Do I need an EmuMovies account for it to work properly?  Thanks!

T

Ok. I just walked through the importer and saw that “advertisement flyer – back” and “advertisement flyer – front” were not checked. This was the default setting so that’s why I used it when I first imported the games.

Should I delete and re-import all the games with “advertisement flyer – back” and “advertisement flyer – front” checked? If so, should I right-click “Arcade” hit delete and say yes to the warning that follows? Thank you for your help, I’m glad it’s such an easy fix.