LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox not loading duckstation games (Android)

CapeManCoral

Noob here. I'm doing pretty good with everything. Except.... When I try to load a game up in launchbox using duckstation (PS1) I get the following error...  "Failed to load CD image 'Driver.chd' :[13]: Permission denied"

But when I open just Duckstation, the games load up without problems or issues. It's only when I go from Launchbox.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Anything would be greatly appreciated. 

Screenshot_20231215_050500_DuckStation.jpg

2 hours ago, CapeManCoral said:

Noob here. I'm doing pretty good with everything. Except.... When I try to load a game up in launchbox using duckstation (PS1) I get the following error...  "Failed to load CD image 'Driver.chd' :[13]: Permission denied"

But when I open just Duckstation, the games load up without problems or issues. It's only when I go from Launchbox.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Anything would be greatly appreciated. 

Screenshot_20231215_050500_DuckStation.jpg

Try typing the following in default command line parameters for duckstation

-batch

Also, you'll need to set to "open in fullscreen" within duckstation's options

8 hours ago, bundangdon said:

Try typing the following in default command line parameters for duckstation

-batch

Also, you'll need to set to "open in fullscreen" within duckstation's options

He means that in the emulator settings in launchbox (tools/emulators) there is a box that says default command line parameters. In that box type -batch. 

Done mean to jump on bundangdon but I hope that clarifies a bit.

45 minutes ago, CapeManCoral said:

@Retro_Rage, yes it does. How do I get to "tools/emulators" I can't find it. I feel stupid. 

It is In the menu on the top, sorry its actually the tools menu (its between menu and view on the top of Luanchbox) then click manage and then click emulators. That will open a list of the installed emulators that you set up. Just click on duckstation. Then you just need to put -batch in the default command line parameter box (it's the 3rd box down). Then you should be good to go.

Edited by Retro_Rage

• Retro808 changed the title to Launchbox not loading duckstation games (Android)

We've recently looked into the latest release of DuckStation and at the moment it's not possible to get it to launch games if you are running newer versions of Android (something like Android 11 or 12 and above). Based on what we currently know, one of 2 things will end up happening before this emulator becomes launchable: The emulator dev releases a new build with dedicated frontend support, or we build a scoped storage solution that will force users to navigate with a touch screen in order to provide the necessary permissions to get around this limitation.

• The Cake is a Lie 1

20 hours ago, faeran said:

We've recently looked into the latest release of DuckStation and at the moment it's not possible to get it to launch games if you are running newer versions of Android (something like Android 11 or 12 and above). Based on what we currently know, one of 2 things will end up happening before this emulator becomes launchable: The emulator dev releases a new build with dedicated frontend support, or we build a scoped storage solution that will force users to navigate with a touch screen in order to provide the necessary permissions to get around this limitation.

Duckstation correctly supports the frontends.

am start -n com.github.stenzek.duckstation/.EmulationActivity -e bootPath "uri file"

The Launchbox teams is stubborn in not wanting to implement scoped storage correctly. Are you waiting for Duckstation or Google to put back the old file management without scoped? It seems a bit pretentious to me.

So if you don't have a phone older than 4 years with Android 10 or lower you can't use Duckstation and half of the other emulators. I understand that it takes time and creates problems to implement scoped storage, but now everyone has adapted, months and months have passed.

I paid $40 for an app that half works with thousand bugs and I don't use it anymore. Frontends like Daijisho are free, often open source and compatible with almost all emulators, including Duckstation which works perfectly. Such a price seems a bit like a scam to me considering the level and slow development of this app.

Edited by Jessica
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It’s not going to be resolved unless LaunchBox implements scoped storage.  All the other up to date front ends have implemented it for a long time.  I don’t see how it can be avoided.  It has been the android standard for years now.

Edited by Avenger
  • Like 1

On 2/6/2024 at 7:52 AM, HugoBR said:

Still waiting for a solution. The last launchbox android update didn't solve it.

As I kind of eluded to earlier in this thread, some type of scoped storage solution for emulators that have not added specific frontend support is still on our list to tackle. It's not much further down the list anymore, so while I can't make any promises at the moment, it's definitely something high in our thoughts.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 2/7/2024 at 1:03 PM, faeran said:

As I kind of eluded to earlier in this thread, some type of scoped storage solution for emulators that have not added specific frontend support is still on our list to tackle. It's not much further down the list anymore, so while I can't make any promises at the moment, it's definitely something high in our thoughts.

Hello,

Hey @faeran, how are you? So, I'm having the same problem running DuckStation and some other emulators like Drastic and Lime3DS. Launchbox just doesn't launch these emulators for Android.

I don't know how long it takes to solve these kinds of problems, especially because I'm a super noob when it comes to programming. But it seems like these problems have been around for a while, and there are some topics without proper answers. I really like Launchbox, it's an amazing front-end and takes emulation to another level. So, I kindly ask the team to give more attention to this.

I saw that Launchbox for Android 1.15 implemented managing custom emulators with code. However, I have no idea how that works and haven't found a tutorial or anything either. Can we use that to try and launch these emulators? Or is there any kind of workaround for these issues in the meantime?

English is not my main language so please ignore the mistakes and don't misunderstand me, my intentions are of the best.

Cheers! And have a nice day.

Edited by Oniontears

• 2 weeks later...

Same here can't even get it to work and retroarch is a joke , I can't use duckstation and espxe both for launchbox android , Luckily i only paid $15 for year i think i'm not going to upgrade/renew after this year because i have so many problem setup with other emulator , I'm gonna say not all ppl like retroarch .

I purchased launchbox android version because i want to put games on Nas for my shield tv pro but i have too much issues for this something like "beta" version .

Just get arcbrowser and much more friendly for android (If you don't need games running on Nas for shield tv) , You can customize lots of stuff like platform video / startup screen / game video thumbnail.

Edited by colafloat