LaunchBox Community Forums

AMA With The LaunchBox Team

AstroBob

Hello!

I still don't see things like true "current Xbox game pass offerings" integration or ways to add owned console games (PSN / Nintendo) without things like manual shortcuts or work-arounds; LaunchBox feels like a "local game launcher" and less like a "Game collection Launcher" vs. things like Playnite that has more plugins for other stores (Blizzard, Humble etc)

Question:
Are you considering expanding official plugin offerings for more stores and services? Or what is the LaunchBox focus going forward? (Auto Configuration? Downloading emulators? 3rd Party Store integration? etc)

I think Launchbox on my Arcade or Nvidia Shield is one type of install - local and ready to play, the BigBox experience (and perhaps where the companies vision is), but Launchbox on my Desktop is a different scenario where I can see everything I own. A LaunchBox that is plugged into many different stores and my full gaming front-end, it could be the front end for all the stores and launchers to unify under and not just "What we currently have installed" 

Anyway, many thanks for an awesome program, looking forward to anything new you have planned for it!

A Couple of questions.

1. Any future MAME integration with updating the MAME version as well as maybe uploading the new MAME version dat files to handle updating your romset without doing it all outside of LB/BB?

2. LInux support? Would be nice to see that since Linux gaming is in a much better spot than it ever has been. 

Loving the streams.

What do you think about a initiative for synchronizing emulator saves. On Windows you can use syncthing and choose any emulator directory. On android you just can' t choose a directory inside Android/data because of permissions. If you have a rooted device it's easy. So the main goal is to force emulator developers to create a more sync friendly emulator where the user can change save data directory. On Duckstation you can only export and imoprt save data so with syncthing on Windows it syncs correctly but on Android it need to be synced to a shared directory and then in Duckstation you need to import it manually. You have many users, you have resources to start this initiative. What do you think?

Edited by AndrewSpec

It's been on feature request for awhile but can we get "true" analog control for wheel navigation? This is for properly/smoothly navigating the wheel with a trackball (or other analog input) with a sensitivity setting to dial it in. Hyperspin had this & it is the only thing I miss. It's been just an annoyance up until now but there are some recent things in the emulation scene that really needs this.

Thx & love me some LB!

Hi, further to our Discord chat @AstroBob, I'd be keen on having Launchbox be able to add custom fields to platforms, just like you curently can for games. I'd be keen to add "generation" and "region" fields to platforms, for example. I would also add some details about the romset and the emulator, for easy reference.

I have a top feature requests thread in the features section of the forum, but my other big requests would be rom manager functionality (the ability to read DATs and compare to your roms) and the ability to add more info in the platform tree when viewing in platform or platform category mode (for example, to show the release year of the console there, and maybe the ability to sort by release year). Small requests would include adding more 3D models (cassette primarily), adding support for all 4 spine images, adding a horizontal lock for the rotating 3D box (so it will only rotate in the horizontal plane), and adding more image types for platforms (e.g. box, controller, etc).

A number of these issues are on the Github though I'd be grateful for any further consideration of them!

• Like 1

Hi Folks,

The AMA post is now closed—thank you all for the fantastic questions! We plan to cover as many as possible during our closing stream. For those who can’t attend, don’t worry—we’ll be writing up answers and posting a recap here. The thread will be temporarily locked, but we’ll reopen it once the recap is posted.

While we may not be able to respond individually to everyone, and some topics may be grouped together due to overlap, we’ll do our best to address everything you’ve asked. The recap will likely be up late next week.

Hope to catch some of you on the closing stream! Otherwise, we’ll post an update soon.

Cheers,

Hi Folks,

Please check the original post, it has now been updated with a recap of answers to your questions. I have tagged the original poster in each question, and you can check out our closing stream where we discuss most of these questions in a lot more detail.

Thank you to everyone who participated in this event, we hope we were able to provide some insightful insight and really appreciate your comments and feedback 🙇

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@AstroBob, thanks a lot for posting the answers and appreciate all of the information. Just wondering, what happened with the LaunchBox giveaway drawing? On the website, it says that it's happening between Sep 3 and Sep 6 yet I haven't seen anything posted or mentioned anywhere

Edited by bundangdon
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bundangdon said:

@AstroBob, thanks a lot for posting the answers and appreciate all of the information. Just wondering, what happened with the LaunchBox giveaway drawing? On the website, it says that it's happening between Sep 3 and Sep 6 yet I haven't seen anything posted or mentioned anywhere

We know you're all eagerly awaiting the prize announcements 😄 The winners for all giveaways have been selected, and we’ll be reaching out to them over the coming week.

- For the grand giveaway (hardware + licenses), winners will be contacted via email.
- For the forum events and Steam Key giveaways, winners will be contacted through DM on their forum account.

Please bear with us as we work through contacting everyone (there are a lot of awesome prizes to work through 😉). We will announce once all winners have been contacted. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • The Cake is a Lie 1
  • Unusual Gem 1